Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jon Schaffer in BW & BK talks politics.......

Options
  • 12-05-2004 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

page 1
    page2

this man is scarily stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I kinda thought it was a bit un-metal for a metal singer to join the ultimate fed organisations..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ignore it. It's just another of these silly little ideas he has in his head. He wrote a concept album on Horror charicters ffs. :rolleyes:

It is a very good album musically btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I read that the other day, and I can honestly say he comes off far more intelligent in that interview than he did in the Terrorizer one not so long ago, so if you think that the stuff spouted in BW&BK is scary, here's a choice quote:
    "I like to base opinions on facts, not on hearsay, gossip and spin, and the fact is we are faced with an enemy, now, that we have never been faced with before and it's a very, very difficult situation. I think that the time when other naions end up getting attacked by these ****in' peices of **** then their opinions will change as well."

I honestly cannot listen to Iced Earth anymore after this unbeleivable gob-****e spewed the likes of that out... And I certainly won't be buying anything else from the band.

It's also rather suspect that Jon has turned so "Patriotic" and Bush-hugging only recently, or at the least he's just become very vocal on the subject, and sales in America have apparently risen, whereas before, while Iced Earth sold bag-loads in mainland Europe, they've been completely ignored by one and all in the states... untill now it seems.

I wonder does the man really beleive in the incredible **** he's spouting?

It also seems ironic that with the theme of the album, The Glorious Burden, and all it's looking back to the past of what people have suffered for freedom that he's god his head so far up George W. Bush's arsehole, first president in US history to throw the ideas and morals of democracy out the window so he can fight a war for oil, and capital gain.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It could all just be for show to boost sales in America... Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Musicians should stick to what they know best. I know it's not always the case, but this guy is shockingly full of sh1t.

I know Dave Mustaine has been very outspoken lately as well (in terms of foreign policy) - i dont necessarily agree with everything - but he was still much more eloquent and intelligent than Jon Schaffer.

If you ask me for social and political commentary in the metal world - Barney Greenway's yer only man. He kills me with his lyrics. I used to read his columns (Lemmy's too!) in the German Rock Hard mag - fantastic! Always stimulating and amusing, sometimes questionable, but always thought-provoking!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Tbh.. It's kinda odd to see him going from masterpieces like Brainwashed to whinging about "Gawd, wahrr and George"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anyone else think that Jon's attitude had anything to do with Matt Barlow leaving the band?

Ripper Owens was a second-rate Rob Halford stand-in, now he's a second-rate Matt Barlow stand-in...
    I pity the lad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ye i'd love the Barlow back.......

i think i heard a rumour while ago that Matt got fed up with what he was pursuing outside if the band (law or something?) and wanted to get back with the band, but I think Tim Owens is actually quite at home with Iced Earth. I'll know when i see them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

BW have posted the full interview here.

TBH, I found the new album hard to listen to from the moment that gay intro started. Such a shame, Tim Owens is a brilliant singer. Schaeffer is a goon, a hardcore goon.

Advertisement