Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection problem

Options
  • 12-05-2004 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

First things first. I'm using Windows XP, IE6, 56k modem. Anyway, when someone tries to ring the house or someone picks up the house phone the internet connection seems to get disconnected because no pages load for a few minutes after. My MSN usually signs out too but the connection status icon still shows in the task bar. I then right click it (the connection icon) and press disconnect but it still shows and nothing happens when I click it again (when I say nothing happens I mean, When I right click it no menu shows or when I double click it nothing comes up on the screen). After a while I can't click anything on the task bar and i have to restart the computer by pressing ctrl-alt-del. The computer is less than a month old.

Sorry I can't explain it better.

Any idea's what the problem is?

BTW - On my old PC (same phone line) When someone picked up the phone the connection wasn't bothered.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Are you using a splitter to seperate phone / modem? Try swapping the lines at the splitter. Just a wild guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Originally posted by hostyle
    Are you using a splitter to seperate phone / modem? Try swapping the lines at the splitter. Just a wild guess :)
    You've reminded me of a point I forgot to raise. I actually am using a splitter and have swtiched the lines around with no joy. But, today when the taskbar froze I went out and there was that noise coming from my phone (I assume the internet was dialing?) so I took the internet line out for a minute and put it back in and it the phone was still making the noise. The only way to disconnect it was to restart the computer. I haven't tried picking up the phone while connected to the internet (without any problems on the PC at that time, if you know what I mean) but with my last PC my phone never made a noise when it was picked up. I'll try it now.

I feel I'm making no sense, Sorry.:(

Forget most of what I said in my last post. I just picked up the phone and its making noise, why is this? My last PC was grand, no noise from the phone and it never got interrupted when picked up. I assume its the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Does your phone any make noise when the modem is not connected?

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

U dont have call waiting on do u?? When I had dial up it would disconnect sometimes if someone picked up the phone...the only time it disconnected when somebody called was when call waiting was turned on...

Originally posted by tk123
    U dont have call waiting on do u??
    I actually don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i had the same problem, an incoming call would kill the connection.....turned out to be call waiting. dial #43# to make sure its off. i had to disable it every few weeks, it kept getting enabled somehow......

Advertisement