Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grants for college

Options
  • 12-05-2004 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

hi...

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could be informed on applying for a grant....ive heard alot of rigmarole about having to have particular attributes to become applicable

i.e...taking you mothers and fathers income into consideration etc...or having to be a particular distance away from the college etc

does anyone have and info or links i could look up?

any info would be highly appreciable :)

additonal posting:............what happens with familys where the father or mother is self employed and not on a fixed yearly salary??......surely the family would be dis-honest just to get the grant......does this work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Teddi,

prolly get more advice over here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=96

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It can be a complete disaster depending on who is administering the grant. I'm in Cork county and still haven't recieved my grant despite it being the end of the year!

Next week they tell me though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    It can be a complete disaster depending on who is administering the grant. I'm in Cork county and still haven't recieved my grant despite it being the end of the year!

Next week they tell me though . . .
    You're not serious are you? Still waiting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

well all you need is a good accountant!! i know somebody whose parents make well over the requirements, he lives about 20 minutes from college and has his own car (paid for by his dad) and is still getting a grant.
    makes me sick when you consider theres people who actually do need the grant but cant get it because their parents might be slightly over the income requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

yea peachy...

its a bitch huh?.....im going to be moving out at the end of the summer for college......a will need the extra cash.....so what if you parents are making the amount of money over the required amount?......that doesnt mean that they are going to fund your life..ya know?

the government thinks that just because your parents are earning X amount that they will be able to keep you in college...

its a mad asumption that your parents will.....

thats irish politicians for ya...want all da money for themselves! :p

Originally posted by sceptre
    You're not serious are you? Still waiting?

Yes! Apparently my application was being finalized the very minute I called last week. She promised me, this week I should have my money. I'll certainly be complaining, it's crazy to have to wait this long for something I should have months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

yeah im still waiting for mine from cork county council as well.....

langers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

is it too late to apply for the year just gone?

regards

Originally posted by sikes
    is it too late to apply for the year just gone?

regards

LOL

It was too late nearly a year ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Originally posted by Teddi
    yea peachy...

its a bitch huh?.....im going to be moving out at the end of the summer for college......a will need the extra cash.....so what if you parents are making the amount of money over the required amount?......that doesnt mean that they are going to fund your life..ya know?

i know that but do you not think that the people whose parents do not have any means to fund their childs college education should get a grant over somebody whose parents do have the means....regardless of whether they are willing to "fund their life"???

there are so many people who cant go to college because they cant afford even the registration fees. yes i agree that just because your parents are rich doesnt mean you are.....however these things have to be regulated. and when somebody who comes from a well off background gets a grant that takes it away from somebody who really needs it. and trust me.....this guys grant is for the weekends because his father pays his rent, his insurance, gave him a credit card for his books and gives him money whenever he wants it. and he's not the only one. its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

there are so many people who cant go to college because they cant afford even the registration fees

That's completely retarded peachypants. If they really want to go to college that much they will take a year off and work from when they finish they're leaving until the beginning of the next college year. People who say i can't go to college cos i can't afford it are only making excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

Originally posted by peachypants
    and when somebody who comes from a well off background gets a grant that takes it away from somebody who really needs it.

Actually no. If someone from a well off background manages to get a grant that doesn't mean someone else won't get a grant, providing that they too can pass the means test.. there is no limit on the amount of grants available, i.e. everyone whose parents earn under the specified limit will get the grant, regardless of how many other people also qualify.

Advertisement