Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "other" pictures : show, or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

It's a nightmare decision, but on balance I say release them. Occy is right - they'll emerge anyway, and from a purely political point of view Bush should release them now and hope against hope that it somehow blows over rather than risking them constantly leaking out all the way up to the election.

It's hard to believe that there could be any photos even more damaging than the old Iraqi-on-a-lead one, but holding back ones which have been described as worse will only feed rumours of ever more gruesome horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I do not think releasing them will improve the situation in Iraq so I wouldn't be in favour of releasing them.

However as this is an election year in the US I can see some of them being leaked to damage George Jr's re-election chances. So they will probably get in circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

I agree with both the unfortunate Bob and Shotamoose. "Free speech" is never simple. It's unlikely that the pictures will help matters in Iraq, but, on balance, I believe that the American public has the right to see how their money is being spent and how they are being represented abroad. I don't think withdrawal is an option, but perhaps the Americans will get the political will to actually improve the situation instead of being so complacent: the war reports have become very routine. What those improvements might be is another day's work.

I also think that it's unavoidable that this will become a political football. After all, the troops' presence in Iraq is political to begin with, so why would the politicization of the issue suddenly stop?

Advertisement