Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Prof Start Bar Problem

Options
  • 13-05-2004 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there

I have a problem, everytime I dial up to the internet, my Start Bar / Task bar (blue thing at bottom) freezes and dissapears, It freezes the system for about 5 to 10 mins, during this time, im still connected. It can take longer sometimes upto 20 mins once. I tried disabling most of the autoload programs which didn't help.

The bar dissapears almost like I have crashed the system, if I try to open IE or Outlook they dont open, then suddenly, they all appear at once. I have checked for spyware and virus's and im up to date with them all. Does anyone have an idea or help on this?

Thanks in advance

Gary

System Windows XP Professional

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I occasionally have this problem, are you running any Norton products? Norton 2004 product family (antivirus/systemworks/personal firewall) seems to have various conflicts with various startup programs, in my case the creative software. I had to go to the symantec knowledge base to find any help, made the changes they suggested but it only appears to work half the time. But its definitely a conflict between norton and various programs on my machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I had the same problem on XP pro with no Norton products running, although when I applied the service pack, it stopped happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Im having a similar problem but its programs and the taskbar that dont start up when i connect to the net. Also on bootup it loads 25 processes and then waits, does the other 10 processes. No Norton products and I have no viruses, or spyware, the drive is defragged.

Advertisement