Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Rumours and Signings

• 13-05-2004 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I know people have requested a sticky for this but I didn't hear anything more on it.

So maybe we could just keep our transfer storys to this thread.

I know if there is a big signing people will want to discuss it in a seperate thread, but maybe we could keep the rumours and low profile signings to this thread.

Ok so to get the ball rolling:
    Thursday 13/05/04

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is been linked with Celtic, but his agent has dismissed the story.

Martin O' Neill said
    Of course I fancy Solskjaer as a player.But whether we can afford them is a different matter.

*************************************************************************************************

Giggs seems to think United should buy Smith:
    Ryan Giggs
    There has been a lot of talk about Alan Smith saying he'd be interested in a move to Manchester United," said Giggs.

"Any player in the Premiership would want Alan in their team and we are no different.

"He is a very good player and we would certainly welcome him at Old Trafford. I can't pretend there isn't a huge rivalry between ourselves and Leeds and it doesn't often happen that a player moves from one to the other.

"But recently Rio Ferdinand and Eric Cantona have done it. And, in this day and age, I don't think the rivalry should affect Alan's decision

*************************************************************************************************

The Thai PM who is bidding for a 30% stake in Liverpool has said he will tke his money to another club if the bid fails.
    "We will stick to the proposal that we and Liverpool initially agreed this week," he stated.

"If Liverpool's management choose other investors with a better price, that's fine with us.

"We will find other football clubs to buy."

Lampard is going nowhere according to Kenyon
    Frank has two years to go on his contract and there is no suggestion Chelsea will sell him," Kenyon declared.

"Frank is someone we would like to stay at Chelsea for the rest of his career."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

stickied for the moment although I hink there are going to be new threads opened up each day with different rumours. But we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Your probably right talla but if we could even keep the far fetched rumours to one thread it would good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Veron to move to Italy??
    "There is this possibility (to join Inter)," he told Corriere dello Sport. "We must wait until the end of the season and then see who will be Inter's coach.

"Inter are a great club, even if they have never spoken with me.

"It is my agent who is doing the negotiations. Juventus? I have heard nothing. I have an agent (Fernando) Hidalgo, he is the person who is working on it."

"My wish would be to come back to Italy," he enthused. "It's a life choice primarily rather than a professional one.

"But I want to make clear that, at the moment, it is only a hypothesis. Surely, Inter would be a fascinating development, a good idea, a good bet for me.

"I wait for official announcements. As it's being said around me, I could go to Inter. Otherwise, I'll stay at Chelsea. I feel really good in London.

"Mancini? I'd like to work with him again but, in my opinion, my possible transfer to Inter isn't conditioned to the coach's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Totti, Emerson and Walter Samuel all going to Real Madrid from Roma in a multi multi million euro deal that keeps the Roman ship afloat.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Totti, Emerson and Walter Samuel all going to Real Madrid from Roma in a multi multi million euro deal that keeps the Roman ship afloat.

quotes would be good The Rooster..

• Advertisement

James Milner move to Spurs not happening
    Milner's agent, Mick McGuire: "I shall be going to speak to Leeds in order to secure a longer-term commitment from James and the club.
    "I'd be very surprised if James didn't start the new season in a Leeds shirt."
    He added: "There is a clause in James' contract which allows us to renegotiate his current deal after a certain number of games, and he has long passed that mark.
    "It is true to say Tottenham made a fantastic bid for James and I have discussed the matter with both David Richmond, and I have also spoken at length with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.
    "In fairness, the bid was tremendous and the way both clubs have conducted themselves in this matter has been thoroughly professional.
    "At no point did we feel that Leeds were trying to push James out the door.
    "Leeds felt it was their duty to keep James fully informed and as a matter of courtesy they allowed us to talk to Tottenham because not only was it an outstanding offer, but it would have helped the club's current plight as well.
    "However, I did not even talk terms with Levy because James' heart is set on staying at Leeds and that has nothing to do with which club came in for him.
    "James is totally committed to Leeds and wants to stay at Elland Road and he feels that another year with added responsibility can only enhance his ability as a player.
    "As far as we are concerned, the matter with Spurs is now over and they cannot prise James away from Leeds, but that is a football decision.
    "We now hope the club will show their appreciation and commitment to one of their bright young stars."

Paul Dickov and Riccardo Scimeca to move from Leicester???
    Leicester manager, Micky Adams: "We are not resigned to losing either player (Scimeca & Paul Dickov) and will do everything we can to try and keep them.
    "Under the terms of their contracts, they are free to speak to clubs who offer a certain transfer fee. That clause has been activated by all three interested clubs in these instances.
    "However, we shall be sitting down with Paul and Ricky ourselves and explaining our situation here. We don't want to lose them because they are important players to us."

Friday 14/05/04

Bolton want Birmingham's midfielder Aliou Cisse
    Allardyce told the club's official website:"Aliou is a player with a tremendous pedigree and will add some additional quality to our already talented squad. We are currently in talks and I'm confident that we can agree something."

Birmingham want Danny Mills
    He said: "Danny Mills was of an interest to us last summer when he went [on loan] to Middlesbrough. It is fair to say there is still an interest."

Martin O'Neill on Amoroso move
    "He trained and he is obviously lacking greatly in match practice and general fitness.

"We wanted to have a look at him and he wanted to do likewise. Thursday was the first chance I had to see him.

"We organised a bit of a game with him and the players and I think he enjoyed that and he did okay.

"There are no deadlines and we are not rushing into anything at the moment.

"He has cost a lot of money in the past so he must be a good player and that is why we wanted to have a look at him.

"He didn't do too badly but has had a lengthy injury and is seriously lacking fitness and all things need to be considered.''

Christian Karembeu to move to England
    I have spoken to Middlesbrough, Man City, Portsmouth and a London club which I cannot mention at this moment"

"In June Christian is a free agent and he wants to move back to England and that is what I am looking at for him.

"We are looking at doing something over the next few weeks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Villa Release Ronny Johnsen & Dion Dublin
    Manager David O'Leary said: ``We've released Dion and Ronny - their contracts won't be renewed.
    football365.com

Cisse in talks with bolton

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce has revealed he is in talks with Birmingham midfielder Aliou Cisse.
    football365.com

Wonder where the villa two will go? Obvious answer is dion to coventry....

Villa will need to strenghten the defence now......roumours of Huth on season loan?

Originally posted by johnor
    Villa Release Ronny Johnsen & Dion Dublin

Villa will need to strenghten the defence now......roumours of Huth on season loan?

Yea just heard that on the news, not surprised really, there on big wages and getting on, Dion has been great a true professional, he'l be missed in the dressing room was great for the young lads comming through, you could always see him talking to them before and during the match.

Not sure about Huth, we need someone but not sure if he's the one, I think his temperament is not great, young ridgewell could do well if given the chance.

Saturday 15/5/04

Man City losing out - Daniel van Buyten heading back to Marseille
    City manager, Kevin Keegan: "If I could have any player in the world, I would sign Daniel van Buyten. But he's worth money - and we don't have any."

Crespo wages put Milan off summer move
    "It's an impossible task because Crespo has a huge salary,'' Galliani admitted.
    "We will be looking for a striker in line with the club's technical side, a striker who would be happy to start on the bench,'' Galliani explained.

According to the vice-president, the Argentinean international would be unlikely to accept such conditions.

"Would he [Crespo] come to Milan to be the fourth striker?'' he asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lampard ready to quit Blues, says agent
    Frank Lampard’s agent insists the England midfielder could still leave Chelsea if he is not awarded an improved contract.

The 26-year-old has been by far the Blues’ most consistent player this year, but feels he is being undervalued when compared with some of the club’s new recruits.

Lampard’s agent Steve Kutner told The People: “The way things stand, Frank doesn’t feel that he will be able to stay.

“All he wants is parity with the club’s best-paid players but Chelsea aren’t prepared to give him that. After the kind of season he has had, you wouldn’t think there would be a problem.

“Now they risk losing one of their best players because everyone knows that Juve and Inter want him – and they clearly want him more than Chelsea.

“There are no more talks planned because all the talking has been done. That’s it. It’s over.”
    I'm delighted Abramovich isn't giving in to Lampard. The greedy bástard is getting £40,000 a week and he wants more. He was happy with it last year, what has changed that £2mil per year isn't enough? BTW Terry, Bridge and Duff have been more consistent then him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Lamp's agent is playing hardball IMO. People seem to be under the confusion that Lampard is randomly asking for more money and has become unhappy with his current contract. That's nonsense, the club have (as is normal) just opened contract extension talks.
    Terry has been more consistent but Duff? if he had played more than perhaps but he missed a large portion of the season due to injuries.

Originally posted by smuckers
    Terry has been more consistent but Duff? if he had played more than perhaps but he missed a large portion of the season due to injuries.
    You can only be judged on the games you play and Duff has only played below average against Villa and Arsenal (the only two games that Chelsea lost while Duff played). Lampard has been anonymous in more than a couple of games. I admit, I have grudge against Lamps (he's probably the nicest person in the world though) but the only reason for that is because of the undeserved praise he gets and because IMO he doesn't put in enough work when he's mostly needed. For example, where was Lamps in the first half of the Lazio first leg? Other than his shot off the crossbar he went missing. He then had a very goo second half and he got man of the match. He's like Beckham at United, he just sits back knowing the fans would go mad if he was dropped therefore doesn't need to try 100%.

Duff on the other hand trys his best even if he is playing badly. Gerrard is twice the player of Lampard IMHO.

He's come along way since his West Ham Days, he's timing his runs whereas at Hammers he'd just make a run for the sake of it. Yes his form went lukewarm half way through the season but it was no suprise it coincided with Makelele's loss of form, now he was doing 2 jobs and didn't get forward as much.
    He's got the goals and he does work hard off the ball. He has improved every season since he's been here his passing has varied each season, but I agree he's not untouchable.

Brum seal Heskey deal?

http://www.football365.com/news/story_110178.shtml

"Birmingham manager Steve Bruce expects to seal the signing of Liverpool striker Emile Heskey within the next 48 hours. Heskey has been lined up for a £3.5million move to St Andrews after joining Liverpool for £11million from Leicester in March 2000."

Goes on to say the fee could rise to 6 mil, depending on success........just the 3.5 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I did mention last week that Lamps was very unhappy with his wages and about to demand a transfer unless it was rectified - and nobody believed me! :p Of course I did say United were keeping a close eye, but when you think about it that bit WAS ridiculous, as if Chelsea wouldnt pay his demands, there is no way United would.

I see another English club linked with Beckham. To date its been Chelsea as favourites, with Arsenal as possibles (no way he'd go there IMO). Now Liverpool enter the fray. Of course would all depend on how much (if any) extra money they get from Thailand/Morgan, and whether they'd be prepared to spend a big chunk of it on a 28 (29?) year old. Beckham in his ManU days was quoted as saying how much he admires Liverpool Football Club, how they do everything "the right way" etc and how well he gets on with Gerrard and Owen.

Arsenal linked with Kluivert (for a paltry €2 million) to replace the Werder Bremen bound Wiltord. Not sure if they'd pay his wages, even if the t/f fee is low. Newcastle also interested.

I am getting a maintanance message on that link but if it is a post with me say "we", I say that in most of my posts on BBC. Fans on those boards hate "strangers" slagging off their players. Don't worry, you'd know by now if I was a Chelsea fan. :)

From Teamtalk:
    Birmingham manager Steve Bruce expects to seal the signing of Liverpool striker Emile Heskey within the next 48 hours.

Heskey, who will expect to be named in Sven Goran Eriksson's Euro 2004 squad on Monday, has been lined up for a £3.5m move to St Andrews after joining Liverpool for £11m from Leicester in March 2000.

It has been reported the fee could rise to £6m depending on appearances and Birmingham's success.

Bruce has already secured Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell on another 12-month loan and sees Heskey as the perfect foil to the Finn.

He said: "Hopefully we will be able to make Emile a Birmingham player within the next two days."

As a Villa fan this makes me happy, I think Heskey is not at all a good striker. I wonder will this spell the end for Morrison, doubt he will get much of a look in next season if he stays, which is not good for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Heskey is quoted today as saying "I'm looking forward to creating a partnership with Forrsell".

Definitely not good news for Clinton. Wouldnt be surprised to see him linked with Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I'd rather not have clinton back at palace...

Rivaldo for Paradise...
    Brazilian superstar Rivaldo has dropped a broad hint to skysports.com that he will choose to join Celtic.
    The 32-year-old is a free agent and is being chased by a host of European clubs including Bolton, Olympiakos and Galatasaray.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has conceded that he is not hopeful of luring the former Barcelona and Milan star to the Reebok Stadium, and the player himself has now acknowledged that he is leaning towards a move to Celtic.

The schemer insists that his final decision will be motivated by the chance to win trophies and not money, and thus Parkhead now seems his most likely destination.

"Scotland is a paradise for forwards because of the direct football and to play for Celtic would be sensational for a Brazilian," Rivaldo told skysports.com.

"Glasgow is a temple of football. It would be very nice to play there.

"I have many propositions from different leagues, but the decision is not going to depend exclusively on the money but on the sporting aspirations of the club.

"To play in the Champions League is very important to me and that will be a favourable point.

"Playing in England has always been attractive for me, but not whatever the cost. I know of many companions who have failed to choose the right club there and I don't want that to happen to me.

"No, I am not auctioning myself to the highest bidder. At my age, although I am in good physical condition, I cannot make another error like I did in Italy (by going to Milan).

"I must choose or guess right because I still have left two or three years of good football in my boots."

The South American went on to reveal he harboured hopes of playing for Brazil at the 2006 World Cup, and feels that Celtic could provide him with the perfect platform to display his skills.

"I want to play in the Brazil team to go the World Cup in Germany in 2006, and need a good club in Europe where I can demonstrate that I can continue my performances from Spain, and not Italy," he continued.

"Sincerely, I would choose a great Scottish club before a smaller English club because I aspire to win trophies and not only spend the time to gain a little more money.

"I am a professional player and money is important, but now I want to enjoy football.

"Clubs in Turkey and Greece have offered me much money, but I do not think it would be a very profitable sporting decision to go to those championships.

"The Scottish supporters are magnificent. For them a player is sacred and they defend him to the maximum. They are an example for other countries."

Kennedy to replace Reid?

Also, I heard a bizarre rumour that Bellamy will go on loan to Shelbourne during the summer in a bid to get fit. The Irish league is the only 'home based' league that runs through the summer. I couldn't see that happening.:p

Cant see Bellamy playing for Shels over the summer....I reckon Newcastle would never let it happen, if he did he would have to play for a full year....he would be burnt out, it would defeat the purpose if you ask me.....It'd be great to see, he'd be scoring for fun.

That's a super rumour eirebhoy. Never heard anything like that before. Would be class if it happenend, and the interest it would create would be a huge boost to the eircom league. Wouldnt need to be the whole of the summer either, could be a one month loan - or whatever period they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Blackburn will release Dwyght York today.

What ever happened to him?
    He just doesnt seem to have the hunger anymore!

anyway I'd guess one of the promoted clubs might think him worth a gamble.

X

I havent seen it myself, but apparently the Examiner has an article saying linking Alex Ferguson with Chelsea!

It says he is still very close to Peter Kenyon, that he is fed up with the stingyness of the United board, and that Chelsea is the best place to realise his one final ambition in football - to win the Champions League.

Mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone realistically think that would happen?

It'd be ****ing unreal if it did but I think he is united through and through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Arsenal have bid 6.5 million this morning for Fernando Morientes, according to my source (a bloke I work with).

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Arsenal have bid 6.5 million this morning for Fernando Morientes, according to my source (a bloke I work with).

the horses mouth...
    Morientes: "I'm proud that teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are interested in me. There are some big clubs in England and it's a very competitive league.
    "I've been away from Real Madrid for a year and I don't know what will happen. If an offer comes from England then first of all Real Madrid have to take the decision. But I would like to go there."

Its on Sky Sports News though I think Captial Radio are jumping the gun a bit when they said that Chelsea are calling a press conf to reveal the signing.:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson

According to BBC News this morning, Arsenal and Chelsea both have £17.5m bids ready for him. Now, either the world has gone mad, or that is a mis-print. Firstly, neither club actually need any more strikers - they're overflowing with them already. And secondly, isn't Morientes 33 or something? I somehow doubt he's going to be commanding that kind of fee at his age.

Link

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Morientes is 28, so there's no way Arsenal would pay that kind of money for him, Chelsea on the other hand...

Absolutely superb player though, and considering he is out of favour at Madrid i wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal and Chelsea were in the chase for him.

• Advertisement

Hasn't Morenites only got 9 league goals?

Originally posted by kaids
    Morientes is 28, so there's no way Arsenal would pay that kind of money for him, Chelsea on the other hand...

Absolutely superb player though, and considering he is out of favour at Madrid i wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal and Chelsea were in the chase for him.

I thinks that's a misprint, everywhere else says 6-7 million, and no-ones going to pay 17.5.

Morientes has 10 goals in the French league, 1 in the French Cup, and 9 in the Champions League this season. It's the CL goals that are attracting the interest, I imagine.

As for Arsenal not needing a striker, Wiltord and Kanu are leaving in the summer, that leaves only Henry, Reyes and (at a push) Aliadiere up front, plus the reserves. If Henry gets injured Arsenal are fucked, hence the interest I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Queiroz will be leaving Madrid next Monday/Tuesday, Camacho (the Benfica coach) has agreed to replace him.

Walter Samuel will sign for Real Madrid tomorrow if Camacho gives the deal his blessing - kind of funny really seeing as Queiroz had previously negotiated a deal for the player only for Perez to veto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Apparently Arsenal are offering 24million for Morientes, it seems a bit far fetched IMO.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0520/arsenal.html

Also Moreintes is on 3mill a year, I do not know if Arsenal will pay him that much in wages.

• Advertisement

Mark Van Bommel to Villa/Spurs ?
    Villa manager, David O'Leary: "I have the money to buy Mark Van Bommel. But I could not afford anyone else if I did that. I have to sign six players so I can't go for that quality. The money I have been given would bring in one quality player but what we have got to do after releasing 14 players this season is to bring in six to fill the gaps to take us back to a squad of 18. We have to stock up on limited money and you can only spend what you are told to spend. We have not received any money for the 14 players who have left over the last few months including the likes of Alpay and Balaban."
    .........................................................................................
    Van Bommel said: "Arnesen is one of the best in the business and you have to consider Tottenham with him. You only have to look at his record to see they are now a very attractive option."

Jesper Gronkjaer to Birmingham City ?
    Birmingham co-owner, David Sullivan: "We're looking for a winger and we are talking with Chelsea about Gronkjaer."

Walter Samuel to Chelsea/Real Madrid ?
    Roma's Director of Sport, Franco Baldini: "We are currently considering more than one offer.
    "There are contrasting interests but we will have the last word on the move."

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Aston Villa have made their first move of the summer, signing Denmark defender Martin Laursen from AC Milan for £3million.

Laursen will move to England after falling out of favour at the San Siro following the acquisition of Alessandro Nesta two years ago.

Everton have joined the race to sign Leeds United striker Alan Smith with a £7million offer.
    The relegated Yorkshire club this week revealed they had turned down two bids of £3.5million and then £5.5million from Manchester United for the 23-year-old, while Birmingham and Middlesbrough have also shown interest.

Originally posted by phenom
    Aston Villa have made their first move of the summer, signing Denmark defender Martin Laursen from AC Milan for £3million.

Laursen will move to England after falling out of favour at the San Siro following the acquisition of Alessandro Nesta two years ago.

Great signing by O' Leary.

Real Madrid have completed the signing of Walter Samuel, according to football365.com.

Laursen: Good defender but slow. Had an absolute mare v England at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Just confirming the Samuel to Real Madrid story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/3734189.stm

15million sterling not bad for such a good player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Camacho has signed as Real Madrid's new manager - press conference on Monday.

McAteer and Babb have been released by Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Italian striker Paolo Di Canio, out of contract at Charlton Athletic and yet to agree a new deal, is wanted by English second division side Brentford.
    The fiery 35-year-old joined Charlton from West Ham United in a one-season deal last August.

'I can confirm that I have genuine interest in bringing Paolo Di Canio to Brentford,' Allen told the west London club's website on Friday.

'I will be discussing with the board early next week hoping that we can put a financial package together that would make it acceptable, just for one year, for Paolo to join us.'

Di Canio, who has also played for Sheffield Wednesday, Celtic and a host of top Italian clubs, made 23 league starts for Charlton this season, scoring four

Personally cant see him droping divison's heard talk of pompey or qatar....i think its premiership or qatar for himself...he'd earn a fortune playin there showboats etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement