Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Rumours and Signings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

BLUES RULE OUT DECO DEAL
    Wednesday 23rd June 2004

Chelsea are set to snub a move for Portugal midfielder Deco, preferring to give Joe Cole the chance to establish himself as a regular.
    The Blues have been strongly linked with Porto ace Deco following the arrival of Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho is a big fan of Deco and is thought to be keen to bring him to West London along with Paulo Ferreira.

Deco seems set to leave Porto and he has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon appears to have ruled out a move for Deco, believing that they do not need him with the likes of Cole pushing for regular first team action.

"Deco is a good player, but we've got Joe Cole and Joe has to feature I think," Kenyon told Chelsea TV.

"I spoke to Joe just before he went off to the Euro's. He was burning to get on and make his mark.

"He clearly wants to make his mark with Chelsea, and we really want to give him the opportunity. I think Joe Cole again comes back to representing that young English player who's got real quality and we've got to give him that platform.

"I think again, they've got to be given a chance and I know that Jose's position. I put Deco very much in the speculation camp."

Kenyon also revealed that the club are interested in Marseille striker Didier Drogba.

Chelsea have already had a bid rejected for the Ivory Coast star with Marseille determined to hold onto their top striker, but Kenyon admitted they will keep tabs on Drogba.

"I think Drogba has been a phenomenon in the last eighteen months to two years, you know he is big," added Kenyon.

"I think he's twenty-six. He is big and physical, and fast, and you have to think that those are good traits for the Premier League, but again, we've got some top quality strikers and what we've got to do all along is balance what we've got with who else is on the market, and that's something again we're looking at right now.

"But yeah , we understand and we know who the player is."

The possible arrival of a new striker would cast doubts over Hernan Crespo and Adrian Mutu.

The pair failed to live up to expectations last season, but Kenyon insists there is no plans to offload the duo.

"Right now there are no plans, I mean they are both Chelsea players," said Kenyon.

"So I think in both players, you've got to say we've got good players, and I think the key issue is can they replicate that and do it for Chelsea."

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

FROM TEAMTALK.COM - BAROS TO VILLA

Villa linked with £3m Baros move

Aston Villa boss David O'Leary is being heavily linked with a £3m move for the Liverpool striker Milan Baros.

Baros is currently on duty at the European Championships with the Czech Republic - having scored in every game so far to help guide his country to a quarter-final clash against Denmark.

Villa's Premiership rivals, Newcastle, as well as PSV Eindhoven have also been linked with moves for 22-year-old Baros who cost Liverpool £3.6m from Banik Ostrava in 2001.

He missed most of last season with a broken ankle and he could find his first-team chances at Anfield limited again next season due to the arrival of Djibril Cisse.

O'Leary is known to be keen to add to Villa's attacking options this summer as he looks to bring in extra competition for the first choice strike force of Juan Pablo Angel and Darius Vassell.

But money is tight at Villa Park and O'Leary is unlikely to offer much above £3m for Baros

I KNOW THAT VILLA WERE IN TOUCH WITH LIVERPOOL BEFORE EURO 2004. BAROS AGENT CONFIRMRD CONTACT WAS MADE BACK IN APRIL, AND LAST NIGHT RAY STUBBS SAID ON BBC ....'HIS IMPENDING MOVE TO ASTON VILLA' .... ???? WE WON'T GET HIM IF HE KEEPS SCORING AT EURO 2004 THOUGH

NANTES MIDFIELDER MATHIEU BERSON HAS TOLD THE CLUB THAT HE WANTS TO JOIN VILLA ACCORDING TO VILLA OFFICIAL WEBSITE - http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeadlinesDetail/0,,10265~535224,00.html

VILLA ARE ALSO RUMOURED TO HAVE MADE A £1.2m BID FOR RANGERS AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN CRAIG MOORE & HAVE BEEN LINKED WITH BRAZILIAN MIDFIELDER DJALMINHA FROM DEPOTIVO LA CORUNA ON A FREE. HE'S 34 THOUGH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

villa are a very good side now under o leary but they dont have a chance in hell getting baros after his 3 goals so far in euro 2004.Hopefully now he will get the chance he deserves to establish himself at liverpool.Anyways villa cant afford him.

REAL TO GET £33M VAN

Jun 27 2004

By Steve Bates

REAL MADRID are on the brink of a sensational &L&33million deal for Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Talks have reached an advanced stage between Spanish officials and van Nistelrooy's Dutch-based advisers and now they are just waiting for the 28-year-old star to rubber-stamp the deal.

If Old Trafford's hierarchy accept Madrid's offer, it will pave the way for England hot-shot Wayne Rooney to become a Manchester United star in a player-plus-cash deal that will secure Everton's financial future.

Van Nistelrooy, who starred in Holland's Euro 2004 quarter-final clash with Sweden in Faro last night, has been Madrid's major transfer target for almost six months.

And after the dismal performance of the Spanish giants in La Liga and the Champions League last season, Madrid are finally ready to seal a deal for the free-scoring Dutchman.

The striker has lit up Holland's Euro 2004 campaign with a stream of outstanding poacher's goals to confirm his status as the ultimate six-yard box predator.

Both Madrid and United were staying guarded last night as details of Real's proposals leaked out.

United and van Nistelrooy went to extraordinary lengths last season to deny there was any substance to Madrid's pursuit of the Old Trafford striker.

But senior United figures knew that Madrid had targeted van Nistelrooy - and that they would make a move after Euro 2004.

That scenario is now unfolding, with influential Madrid officials ready to sanction a move that will rock Old Trafford fans.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson always knew that if a mega-bucks Madrid bid was slapped on the boardroom table his club would be unlikely to resist it.

While an imminent Madrid bid may be depressing news for United fans, van Nistelrooy's loss would have a silver lining. United would have instant funds to bag Rooney - and make him the highest-paid player in the English game with a &L&100,000-a-week package.

And today The SP can reveal exactly WHY Everton have to sell,

The cash-strapped Merseysiders are close to a staggering &L&40million in debt and the sale of the teenager to United would keep the bank off their back and give boss David Moyes much-needed funds to buy new players.

Their current spending is so closely monitored, that Moyes has to talk to the bank about any future signing - even a free agent - and he is often told that the club's overdraft limit won't allow it.

Moyes has to work on a day-to-day and move-by-move basis to balance his squad and meagre budget, so no matter how painful, selling Rooney at &L&40million makes financial sense and it is being openly discussed within the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Re: RVN to Real Madrid

The last I heard Real no longer want him - Camacho has told Perez that he wants to build a team with a Spanish core and have Raul and Morientes as his main strikers. He has also made it clear that he won't stand in the way of Ronaldo leaving, believing his off the pitch antics are disrupting the team.

Other news:

Kluivert has agreed a move to Atletico Madrid.

Deco is in advanced negotiations with Barcelona. They've given up on Ballack - the Deco move should be announced this week if Kenyon doesn't come back with a better offer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bannor - Wenger was photographed making notes at the Czech - Germany game. Any idea why?

Originally posted by Bannor
    Re: RVN to Real Madrid

The last I heard Real no longer want him - Camacho has told Perez that he wants to build a team with a Spanish core and have Raul and Morientes as his main strikers. He has also made it clear that he won't stand in the way of Ronaldo leaving, believing his off the pitch antics are disrupting the team.
    Update: Morientes has told Camacho that if Perez is re-elected as blub president then he wants to leave. Camacho has reluctantly agreed to his decision.

If Perez is re-elected then he will pursue RVN - there was another meeting with his agent at the weekend.

Camacho has told Perez he only wants three players in addition to a replacement for Morientes if Perez is re-elected - a left back (he has told everybody's favourite Brazilian left back to pack his bags and that he will personally drive him all the way to west London.), a defensive partner for Walter Samuel and a holding midfielder.

Originally posted by kaids
    Bannor - Wenger was photographed making notes at the Czech - Germany game. Any idea why?
    No idea - but if you want me to speculate - Arsenal scouted both Bastian Schweinsteiger (Midfielder) and Philipp Lahm (Fullback) last year.

Liverpool to make a cheeky bid for Gallas! :D

Discussions between agents for Liverpool and the player re-opened at the weekend.

Gronkjaer is joining Sevilla FC. They're also in negotiations with Arsenal for Edu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Larsson has signed a 2 year deal with Barca reported to be around €40,000 a week.
    "I know what this means because I've lived the experience in Scotland," he said. "All I can say is I haven't come here for a holiday.

"I mean to give it my all. I'll always battle to the end."

"It's a dream come true. Barcelona is more than a club, it's a way of life."

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Larsson has signed a 2 year deal with Barca reported to be around €40,000 a week.
    The doctors at Barcelona are well impressed with his medical examination. They said he has the fitness of a 25 year old athlete and reckon he could play another five years at the top level if he continues to look after himself - not bad for a 33 year old.

Perez is not a happy bunny - yesterday Madrid officials met with their Real Sociedad counterparts to complete the signing of Xabi Alonso. Real Sociedad forgot to mention before the meeting that they had jacked up the price by 20%. Perez was furious and accused the Sociedad president Jose Luis Astiazaran of extortion and sabotaging his re-election. :D

A deal was agreed for the player months ago but Astiazaran decided to hike up the price because Spurs have made an enquiry!

Gerard Pique (Barcelona) will sign a five year contract with Man Utd today. He has turned down an offer from Arsenal.

Chelsea have made a bid of €20M for Morientes, they have also indicated that Crespo is available if Real want a part exchange deal.

Barcelona have rejected a €22M offer for Puyol from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Cheyrou to Marseille???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Apparently Viduka is up in Middlesborough for a medical.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/3856645.stm

Vassell out - Baros in????

Strong rumours coming out of Birmingham that the Baros to Villa deal is on for around £5 million. Charlton have come in for Vassell with a £3million bid. That £3million, added to the money from bids already made for £1.5m (before Euro 2004) and £2m are financing the Villa bid.

Czech wing back Dronby is joining Villa for their pre-season tour of Sweden.

Sevilla enquired about Baros before Euro 2004 and were told he was available. They made an offer of €5M, since then they have been informed that the player is still available but he'll cost alot more than €5M.

• Advertisement

apparently Cheyrou's deal with Marseille is on the verge of completion

french article

the same page reports details of a Maniche to Madrid story...

Chelsea have agreed a fee with PSV Eindhoven for Kezman!
    Kezman to Chelsea

Morris has signed for Millwall!
    Morris to Millwall

Milner to Newcastle in 5 year deal!
    Magpies to land Milner

Gill rules out Rooney buy

Manchester United, Sunday July 04 2004
    Manchester United chief executive David Gill says there is no chance of them launching a bid for Wayne Rooney.

The Everton starlet has become the hottest property around following his exploits for England at Euro 2004, with Chelsea also known to be interested.

The Toffees have put a £50million price-tag on the 18-year-old, but Gill insists there is no chance of them paying that much for one player.

"We cannot afford to spend £45million or £50million on one player," he told Daily Star Sunday. "One of the reasons we run a successful operation is because we operate within financial parameters."

United have already signed one striker in Alan Smith from Leeds, but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger still fears Rooney will be wearing the red of United next season.

"I dream at night of bringing him to Arsenal, but that's all it is, a fantasy," he told The People. "We cannot compete with the money he would cost so I just have to accept he is out of our reach.

"I think Rooney will be a United player next season. They know they have to act because Chelsea will do something big and they cannot afford to be left behind."

Les Ferdinand has signed for Bolton Wanderers

Ferdinand to Bolton

Liverpool may be in the market for a new keeper, with Ricardo stating his interest in going to Anfield

Ricardo hoping for Anfield move

Looks like McAteers move to Leicster is off after he failed to agree personal terms with the club.

And Desailly has left Chelski!

Desailly gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

El Hadji Diouf has been offered to Celtic - according to one of today's English rags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Bannor
    Sevilla enquired about Baros before Euro 2004 and were told he was available. They made an offer of €5M, since then they have been informed that the player is still available but he'll cost alot more than €5M.

disappointing that
    i'd like to see him get a fair run

Apparently Real Madrid are interested in Baros
    Baros a galactico?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by The Rooster
    El Hadji Diouf has been offered to Celtic - according to one of today's English rags

thats lies..

Diouf would be shot - if he went back there after spitting at Celtic fans

Marek Heinz couldn't resist the temptation of CL football:
    "Celtic are one of the clubs I am interested in. One of the reasons is that they regularly play in Champions League," said Heinz. "I do not know when the negotiations will begin. My agent, Pavel Paska, told me to be available on the phone.

"I promised my wife we would go for a week to the seaside but the planned vacation is now off and I am waiting on the phone. I would like to play abroad and now there is a chance, it is more important than vacation."

Desailly to Celtic?
    "I would like the chance to play for Celtic, if they want me, because I have watched them over the last couple of years and I like the way they play. I also know about Martin O’Neill and I believe I could work with a manager like him," said Desailly.

"At this stage in my life it’s about wanting to play with another big team with high ambitions because I know I have at least one, maybe two good years left and I think Celtic would be ideal."

• Advertisement

i think desailly would be a bad move for celtic, he's error prone and can't have much pace about him

heinz could do well though, good dead ball taker too

Palace agree fee for Tim Cahill
    aussie to palace

Sorry edited now, got a bit ahead of myself

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    Tim Cahill has signed for Palace
    aussie to palace
    He hasn't signed yet but if it goes through it will be an excellent signing for Palace. He'd be in the top 5 players outside the premiership IMO.

Ian Harte looks set to sign for Levante!:
    Leeds defender Ian Harte is travelling to Spain to sign for Levante, according to the Primera Liga side.
    Levante, promoted to the Spanish top flight for the first time in 39 years, said Harte would undergo a medical on Friday before signing a deal.

The Republic of Ireland left-back could be the latest to leave Leeds following their relegation from the Premiership.

Dominic Matteo signed for Blackburn on Wednesday and striker Mark Viduka is poised to join Middlesbrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://www.uefagames.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=205988.html

Deco moves from Porto to Barcelona for £7.5 million, he'll be joining Larsson and Giuly there.

Leaving Barca are Reizeger (Middlesbourgh), Davids, Rustu Recber and Kluivert. Overmars could be on his way to Newcastle after falling out of favour with the boss. That'd Cocu as the only Dutchman at the club.

<snip> looks like Cocu is going back to PSV, I wonder if the woeful Dutch performance during Euro 2004 has anything to do with the clearout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I've been getting lots of angry emails from Milwall supporting friends of mine over Tim Cahill....hohoho...

Hopefully now Tim will sign on the line....but Palace could still screw it up..

Benitez sets sights on Coloccini

Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, is set to make a move for Milan's Argentinian centre-half Fabricio Coloccini in an attempt to add muscle to his defence.

Coloccini could be on his way to Anfield in a cut-price move - either for a £3.5m fee or on loan for the season.

Coloccini, 22, belongs to Milan but has spent the past three seasons in Spain with temporary deals to Alaves, Atletico Madrid and Villareal. Last season he was a key part of the Villareal side that reached the semi-final of the Uefa Cup.

Benitez likes his physical and skilful style, and watched him regularly when he was in charge of Valencia.

He has already put feelers out for Coloccini, who had a reputation for being volatile in Italy, and may now make a formal bid. However, a loan move to Liverpool might help all parties, knocking more rough edges off Coloccini in the process, although Liverpool are equally keen to recruit Coloccini on a permanent basis.

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, has turned down an approach to become the new coach of Germany.

The Highbury club are expected to complete the signing of the Spanish goalkeeper Manuel Almunia from Celta Vigo within the next 48 hours.

Crystal Palace yesterday agreed a £2m fee for the highly rated Australia midfielder Tim Cahill from their South London neighbours Millwall. The 24-year-old, who scored the winner in the FA Cup semi-final against Sunderland last season, has yet to agree personal terms and pass a medical.

Terry Venables has signed a one-year deal to coach Newcastle in the new Australian Premier League.

Boston are to hold further talks with Paul Gascoigne to try to bring the former England midfielder in as a coach.

Tunisian right back Hatem Trabelsi has been given until Monday to decide whether he wants to join Arsenal or Newcastle from Ajax

Trabelsi given ultimatum by Ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So Chelsea look set to pay 22 Million for Marseille's Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba.
    From Teamtalk
    The Blues have already had two bids rejected by the French club, but after upping their bid to £22m, the Marseille board are thought to have now agreed to see their most prized asset.

Drogba, whose goals were largely responsible for taking Marseille to the Uefa Cup final last season, will spend the weekend discussing personal terms with Chelsea.

Should the deal go through, it will beat the £19m Manchester United paid PSV Eindhoven three years ago for Ruud van Nistelrooy, a British transfer record for a striker.

Only last month, Marseille had insisted the striker was not for sale, with general manager Pape Diouf claiming that even a £30m bid "would make no difference".

Drogba would be the second frontman to arrive at Chelsea this summer, hot on the heels of Serbian Mateja Kezman, and his arrival is likely to accelerate Hernan Crespo's departure

Crespo must surely be on his way out now with Kezman already signed up.

Wonder will anyone try and sign Mutu??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Crouch has signed for Southampton for 2 million.

A few pound for DOL to spend
    Full Story:
    http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,855720,00.html
    :D

• Advertisement

Tottenham have signed midfielder Sean Davis from Fulham subject to a medical and agreement of personal terms.

Good move for Crouchy. He was brutal but he was a tryer, and he bailed us out a few times with important goals as a sub. I never thought we´d get anything near 2 million for him, but - as you say - it´s another few quid for Dave to wheel´n deal with.

I expect Allback and possibly Mark Delaney leave for roughly the same price. At least that might help Dave compte for a few decent signings.

.... it´s been a very slow summer so far.

Birmingham have signed Mario Melchiot on a free! And to think he nearly signed for Harchester last year

Melchiot to Brum

Also Sevilla have claimed to have signed Jesper "can't cross" Gronkjear
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3879817.stm

Tim Sherwood has joined Coventry from Portsmouth
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/coventry_city/3879889.stm

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Ronaldos' 'come and get me' plea to....

...spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Sevilla are not signing Gronkjaer after all
    Sevilla out of Gronkjaer race

and he signs for Birmingham
    Gronkjaer to brum

Danny Mills may be Man City bound, as they look to be winning the race for his signature
    Mills to City?

Malaga admit that they are intersted in El-Hadji Diouf
    Diouf to Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Kezman has signed for Chelsea.

Serbian striker Mateja Kezman officially signed a four-year deal with Chelsea Monday after he was granted a work permit in England.

The two sides agreed to the deal 10 days back, but it was contingent on Kezman obtaining the work permit. Kezman comes to the Premiership side as a transfer from PSV Eindhoven in Holland.

"I'm very glad that I'm here, it's a fantastic club with a great history and has a good team," he said.

The 25-year-old Serbian international scored 28 goals in the Dutch Eredivisie last season. He scored 33 goals for PSV the season before and had amassed 95 in his four successful seasons with the club.

"I've got the best record in the history of the club. I just need some time and the supporters need to be patient, but I'm sure it'll be okay," Kezman commented on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Update On Drogba

Chelsea seem to be about to land him

From Sky Sports

Chelsea have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Didier Drogba with Marseille officials reportedly reluctantly agreeing to let him go for the right price.
    Premiership moneybags Chelsea are weighing up a move for the Ivory Coast hit-man as they look for a possible replacement for Hernan Crespo.

Crespo has been given a two-week deadline to decide whether or not he wants to stay at Chelsea and if, as expected, he goes The Blues are set to follow up their initial interest in Drogba.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho is a confirmed admirer of Drogba and is ready to tempt Marseille to cash-in on him with a €35 million offer.

Marseille had been keen to keep hold of their star striker, but it now appears that Chelsea's offer has proved too good to turn down.

Skysports.com understand that Marseille officials are due to meet on Tuesday to discuss Drogba's future where it will be decided they will listen to suitable offers for the player.

Drogba is thought to be interested in a move to Chelsea and if the club firm up their interest with a massive offer, he could be the next piece of Mourinho's jigsaw at Stamford Bridge.

Charlton has left Bolton for Norwich
    Charlton to canaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sylvinho (ex Arsenal player) has joined Barcelona.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement