Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Rumours and Signings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Not to mention Carlton Cole coming from Chelsea.
    mourinho doesnt want cole to go so hes goin nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not to mention Carlton Cole coming from Chelsea.
    Cole will have to do a lot more if he wants to stay at Villa, he hasn't scored in 3 and a half months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cole will have to do a lot more if he wants to stay at Villa, he hasn't scored in 3 and a half months.

Agreed, Possibly the most overrated player in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

AthAnRi wrote:
    Agreed, Possibly the most overrated player in the premiership.
    Disagree, he has been playing very well for the Villa, he has contributed a lot, ok obviously you want him to score more goals, but theres more to his. I can't remember who we were playing but he setup Solano's for a great goal. He's still young and will do very well in the next few years. His record for England U21's is very good.

The 5 names on O'Leary's shortlish, according to Newstalk, are:

andy reid
    john o'shea
    van bommell
    Steed malbranque
    James Beattie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone else think that United are going to buy somebody this winter?
    I honastly think Fergie has somebody planned to sell and to buy this winter and is just keepingit totally under wraps so that Chelsea don't swoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Uts will defintely buy 1/2 players. After the Robben hijack last year it will be kept very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

kida wrote:
    Uts will defintely buy 1/2 players. After the Robben hijack last year it will be kept very quiet.
    I've heard of teams needing 1 or 2 players to complete a squad but 1/2 a player!!! Good luck to united, maybe steel some more kids.

p.pete wrote:
    I've heard of teams needing 1 or 2 players to complete a squad but 1/2 a player!!! Good luck to united, maybe steel some more kids.
    lol he meant 1 OR 2 players.

Gangsta wrote:
    lol he meant 1 OR 2 players.
    Thanks for clearing that up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The most intersting rumour I have heard lately is that Roy Carrol may be moving to Highbury next summer.

The Muppet wrote:
    The most intersting rumour I have heard lately is that Roy Carrol may be moving to Highbury next summer.
    really? where did u hear that? tbh i wudn want to c it happen.

btw ur prediction on arsenal v chelsea was almost correct about arsenal raising their game, pity they didn win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gangsta wrote:
    really? where did u hear that? tbh i wudn want to c it happen.

I heard Wenger was going to try to sign Carroll in January. I dont believe Fergie would sell then and that is why I posted it may happen in the summer. Roy has so far refused to sign a new contact for United despite being Number One Keeper at OT which to me indicates that he wants to move. Yjere not may positions that can matche the one he;s got, Arsenal would be the most likely destination IMO. Then again the rumour could have been started by Carrols agent trying to get a better contract offer from UTD. Time will tell
    Gangsta wrote:
    btw ur prediction on arsenal v chelsea was almost correct about arsenal raising their game, pity they didn win it.

I believe Arsenal are a better team than Chelsea and will finish ahead of them in the league. I won't go as far as saying pity Arsenal didn't win as a draw suited Utd best well that was the thinking untill we fooked up Monday night.

The Muppet wrote:
    I believe Arsenal are a better team than Chelsea and will finish ahead of them in the league. I won't go as far as saying pity Arsenal didn't win as a draw suited Utd best well that was the thinking untill we fooked up Monday night.

pity is from me as i hoped that they'd win it and they were the better team. Arsenal play better without Vieira these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

VILLA FIRST MOVE FOR £6.5M BEATTIE

EXCLUSIVE

By Alan Nixon

ASTON VILLA boss David O'Leary has tabled a £6.5million offer for Southampton striker James Beattie - to edge ahead of Everton in the bidding battle.

O'Leary has decided to go all out for Beattie and is closing in on Harry Redknapp's £7.5million valuation on the powerful target man.

Villa have put in a package of a guaranteed £6million plus a further £500,000 in installments and hope that will be enough to tempt Saints to sell on the day the transfer window opens.

Southampton could drop from their top price slightly but are waiting to give Villa an answer, with Everton chairman Bill Kenwright also involved in the bidding.

Kenwright's offer for Beattie is lower than Villa's but he is willing to go to more than £6million up front - with no added extras.

Villa are also willing to push the boat out for Beattie and give him a massive contract, although Champions League hopefuls Everton can match those wages too as they look to spend big.

It is now a straight fight between the two as Newcastle United were only interested in a possible swap while the form of Tottenham's three forwards has taken them out of the running.

Beattie only returned to the Saints side at the weekend but could be one of the first major movers next month.

Everton also have an interest in Portsmouth's Nigerian striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni, with many Goodison insiders believing they are close to a £6million deal for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pablo Aimar to Liverpool (theres many sources , Sky , BBC , just pick the one you want) , Aimar is currently not playing for Valencia under Ranieri and says if the situation dosen't change he would like a move to Liverpool under his old boss Rafa Benitez . A bid around £6.5 million is expected to be made , and for Aimar that is incredibly cheap . Aimar was probably Valencia's biggest star under Benitez .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Aimar is a quality player alright. If Ranieri had actually played him Valencia probably wouldn't be 10 points behind Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So Beatie is gone, but where to??

I hope Villa, but Everton are in a very good position form and Financial wise.

It would appear Faye is on his way to Villa Park too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Morientes says this morning he is joining Liverpool. But could Anelka also join? The rumour being bandied about is Liverpool to buy Anelka (not sure of price) plus a swap deal with Mellor. Is all the Aimar stuff not only coming from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

valencias fan site says that a bid for aimar has been made. http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW7376041230-0844.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Newcastle are signing Chelsea's left back Celestine Babayaro tomorrow, and have agreed a deal with Rangers for Jean-Alain Boumsong - finally they buy some defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Chris Kirkland looks to be up for sale at £4 million while Liverpool are lining up the signing of Scott Carson from Leeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beattie has agreed personal terms with Everton.

Whats this about off-loading Kirkland for 4 mill? He cost 10 did'nt he?

Mike.

Kirkland cost £6m, Carson could move for £500k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Joaquin (Betis) to Chelsea for €40M in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bannor any news on Ferdinand to Chelsea? ye....Rio Ferdinand....

http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_139249.shtml

cheesedude wrote:

Why would they buy him , they have Terry , Carvalho , Gallas , Huth as centre backs , and theres only one of those that Ferdinand is clearly better than(Huth).

I would prefer the others to Ferdinand .Plus buying a defender and playing him would seriously unsettle a rock solid defense .

Ferdinand and Terry are the two best centre backs in the world right now in my opinion and they should the back bone of England.

Terry should definetly start for England im just not sure is it Campbell or Ferdinand who should partner him .

• Advertisement

I don't agree, I honastly think Campbell is the best CB back in the world, and that its between Terry and Rio to get it.
    Both are amazing players, so to decide is really only up to what you want in a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

What about Carra?!? :D

Anelka left out of Man City squad tonight against Arsenal. Very strong rumours that he's on his way back to Liverpool - all to be revealed soon it would seem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Big Ears wrote:
    Terry should definetly start for England im just not sure is it Campbell or Ferdinand who should partner him .
    It's got to be Ferdinand. Utd's results since his return have proven that.
    It's no longer the case that if Roy Keane is out, Man U will suffer, it's Rio now.
    Campbell is an excellent 3rd CB and I nearly go as far as Jamie Carragher being the 4th. He can also play at RB.

Heard this morning that Peligrino from Valencia is going to Liverpool on a free. He's 33 yrs old. Don't know the guy but is he any better than what we have already? Is he a CB? Plus, maybe they should think about recalling Le Tallec with all the injuries in midfield? If SG were to get injured again, they would be screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Stepháne Henchoz to leave Liverpool, possibly going to Man City (assuming that Man City sell Distin) for somewhere in the region of £650,000. His wife has just had a baby so the short move to Man City could be a contributing factor to choosing the club.

http://www.sportal.com.au/soccer.asp?i=news&id=60736

Lex Luthor wrote:
    It's got to be Ferdinand. Utd's results since his return have proven that.
    It's no longer the case that if Roy Keane is out, Man U will suffer, it's Rio now.
    Campbell is an excellent 3rd CB and I nearly go as far as Jamie Carragher being the 4th. He can also play at RB.

Heard this morning that Peligrino from Valencia is going to Liverpool on a free. He's 33 yrs old. Don't know the guy but is he any better than what we have already? Is he a CB? Plus, maybe they should think about recalling Le Tallec with all the injuries in midfield? If SG were to get injured again, they would be screwed.

King and if he ever gets fit again , Woodgate are ahead of Carra for England as a centre back .Upson would be just behind Carragher .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Big Ears wrote:
    King and if he ever gets fit again , Woodgate are ahead of Carra for England as a centre back .Upson would be just behind Carragher .
    Ya, but Woodgates not fit. King is an excellent defender but at International level, I think Carra has more experience...maybe not on the International scene, but in Europe.

Campbell would always be my 1st choice for any team he plays for. He is excellent in every department; physically,technically and inspires confidence to the rest of the team.

Any rumours on Wenger signing anyone? they need another CB as cover and a midfielder.

Gangsta wrote:
    Campbell would always be my 1st choice for any team he plays for. He is excellent in every department; physically,technically and inspires confidence to the rest of the team.

Any rumours on Wenger signing anyone? they need another CB as cover and a midfielder.

Not if that team consists of Ferdinand and Terry.

cheesedude wrote:
    Not if that team consists of Ferdinand and Terry.

his first choice , meaning he decides , and he said Campbell is his first choice for any team .

Sorry BIG EARS. I meant to say IMHO before that sentence. I'm really sorry. kthxbye

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    Sorry BIG EARS. I meant to say IMHO before that sentence. I'm really sorry. kthxbye

no need to shout my name , I can hear you fine ;) .

Chelsea have just signed a lad called Jarosik from CSKA Moscow for £5.5 million. It looks like he'll be back-up in central midfield for the injured Scott Parker. Is the player up to much? I've heard nothing about him.

This is non-transfere news! Igor Biscan is staying at Anfield till the summer at least. He says he wants to stay and Rafa says he wants to keep him.

Talk of Chelsea keeper Carlo Cudiccini covering for Kirklands absence. That would a great buy/loan.

Mike.

Can't see Chelsea selling Cudiccini, Mourinho is a good maanger and knows the importance of the second keeper.

Arsenal have officially completed the signing of Beveren defender Emmanuel Eboue.

The 21-year-old trained with Arsenal in the summer and impressed boss Arsene Wenger enough to be handed a five-year deal.

Eboue is a versatile defender and a full Ivory Coast international, who is set to challenge unsettled Lauren for a regular berth at right back.

Arsenal always had first refusal on Eboue, due to their close relationship with Beveren and have now completed the swoop.

Eboue will now link-up with his new team-mates at Highbury, as he looks to make an impression in English football.

Wenger has previously hinted that the player could be ready to challenge for a first team place almost immediately.

"He's a multi-functional player,'' revealed Wenger. ''He normally plays centre back but he can play right back or midfield. He has a chance to play."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

cheesedude wrote:

That's a re-run of a story from the summer it was probably re-run on a slow news day. The original story was created by Harry Harris whose other works include:

The Chelski Revolution

Abramovich: The Chelsea Diary

Ruud Gullit: The Chelsea Diary

Vialli: The Chelsea Diary

Guess who Harry now supports (He was rumoured to support Spurs in the 80s and early 90s)? He uses his position in the press to create stories to unsettle players, namely transfer targets for a certain club. If Chelsea have a story they want to appear in the press Harry Harris obliges.

Ferdinand was a transfer target for Chelsea - he was on the list of players that SGE gave Abramovich. When Mourinho replaced Raneiri, he brought Carvalho with him and there ended Chelsea's interest in Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Kuffor to Newcastle

another possibility! more likely than distin was and out of contract in June.
    Bayern are likely to accept a small fee for him now rather then allow him to go in the summer for free!

All Kuffor has to do according to the report is say "i want to make the move" and he will be allowed!

Could be a good signing for us toons at 28 he is experienced and still young enough. He will also be much better value then Boumsong IMHO!

We really need another centre-half. Boumsong, Kuffor, O'Brien are not three bad centre halfs to have :)

Bin Bramble though! he is so bad it's scary!

Kevin Campbell has signed for WBA on a free transfer. Great move for Campbell, he got a nice big payoff from Everton and has an 18 month contract with WBA. Bad news for WBA because he's no longer good enough for the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

With Morientes close to sign for Liverpool Sheffield Wednesday seem to be putting the feelers out for Mellor again. In fairness I'm not sure how much of a future he'll have at the club, he's certainly unlikely to develop much from his current pecking order in the striking list.

Maybe he'll sit down with Rafa and ask "am I needed?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

http://manchesterunited.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=891&p=2&stid=8370534
    United Want Caneira

By Andy
    Date: 14/1/2005

United are interested in the Valencia defender Caneira. He's Portuguese and played briefly under Carlos Quieroz when United's number two was at Sporting Lisbon. He's 25 and on a one year loan deal from Bordeaux. Valencia want to keep him and he's given a verbal confirmation that he'll stay.

Caneira has been one of Valencia's best players this season and Claudio Ranieri has been pleased with him. He was voted the best defender in the French league last season with Girondins. He can play right back or centre half. United are looking to take him in the summer. Remember where you read it first.

Heard The Rumour Mill on BBC 5 Live last night, "Gerrard to Chelsea" yet again, one guest sounded like he had been in the room when Stevie signed... :rolleyes:

Of more substance and this is good news for Pool fans -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/4181549.stm

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement