Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Rumours and Signings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cianan2 wrote:
    It would be a great move,imo. Though highly unlikely to happen...

I would love to see it happen...

But then again Torres could be had for cheaper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

cheesedude wrote:

But then again Torres could be had for cheaper....

Torres might be cheaper,but he has said he wouldn't go to another Spanish club out of respect for Atletico....or was it that he wouldnt go to Real? Darn my memory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

cheesedude wrote:
    I bet you would :)

Funnily enough Henry recently offered to sign a long term contract to keep him at Arsenal for the rest of his career.

Arsenal have again been linked to Espanyol's Cameroonian keeper Carlos Kameni, who has a buy-out clause of 6 million euro. Article on skysports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Ipswich are interested in Waterford striker Daryll Murphy.

Martin O'Neill has said that Celtic might not be able to afford on-loan striker Craig Bellamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

CELTIC manager Martin O’Neill hopes to solve his goalkeeping problem by signing 26-year-old Frenchman Mickael Landreau, from Nantes. An initial approach has already been made, which the player’s agent describes as "very attractive."
    more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Silvestre Linked To Milan
    4/8/2005 4:29:00 PM
    The Manchester United player is followed closely by the Rossoneri who would like to bring him back to Italy.
    Silvestre’s first Italian experience was a disaster as he was sent away from the peninsula by Inter following terrible performances which did not justify his expectations. The French defender joined Manchester United and has overall performed at good levels which helped him win a permanent place with the English club and Les Bleus.

His performances have in fact attracted the attention of many clubs, including Milan who hope to turn another Inter reject into a star as was the case with Pirlo, Seedorf, Crespo and many other players in recent years.

Silvestre is seen as the ideal substitute for Paolo Maldini in the left-back position, as the Milan captain is reaching his retirement date and the Rossoneri need an adequate back-up for the legendary captain.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Gerrard 'committed' to move to Chelsea at the end of season
    By Oliver Kay

RAFAEL BENTEZ, the Liverpool manager, suggested yesterday that Valencia may have made an illegal approach for Milan Baros, but the greater concern at Anfield should be Chelsea's steadfast belief that Steven Gerrard is already committed to moving to Stamford Bridge at the second time of asking at the end of the season.

Sources at the London club indicated yesterday that Jose Mourinho is convinced he will succeed in his pursuit of Gerrard, who agreed to join Chelsea last summer but backed out of the deal at the last minute in order to spend one more season at Liverpool. Officially there has been no contact between Chelsea and Gerrard since, but a source at Stamford Bridge said yesterday that "the player has agreed and will definitely join in the summer unless he changes his mind again".

The claims would appear to endorse the claims made by Ashley Cole, the Arsenal defender, when summoned by Premier League solicitors to explain his meeting with Mourinho and Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive. Cole said that Mourinho had boasted of having already secured the signing of Gerrard and, while that story met with denials from all concerned, it would seem fair to say that the Liverpool captain has not discouraged the confidence held by all at Chelsea.

Contrary to reports this year, Liverpool have received no approach formal or otherwise regarding Gerrard except when Real Madrid inquired about the midfield player during negotiations over the sale of Fernando Morientes in January.

Liverpool told Real at that stage that they had no intention of selling Gerrard but would inform them if any other club made a bid for the player's services. Chelsea, though, believe that a £35 million offer will be enough to see off all competition at the end of the season, with Gerrard's wages likely to be more than doubled to £120,000 a week.

Bentez, having grown tired of speculation over Gerrard, seemed more concerned yesterday with claims from Valencia, his former club, about Baros. Juan Soler, the Spanish club's new president, announced in a radio interview that he was "in talks" with Baros, a claim that was made only seven days after Antonio Lopez, the caretaker manager, and Eduardo Macia, a director, talked about the prospect of signing the Czech Republic forward.

In reality, Bentez would be open to selling Baros in order to raise funds to strengthen his squad this summer, but he reacted angrily to the claims from Spain yesterday. "It is illegal to talk to a player with two more years of his contract to go," he said. "I prefer not to talk about these things. He is our player and has two more years of his contract to go."

The uncertainty over the future of Baros provoked questions about whether Liverpool would consider re-signing Michael Owen, who said in a magazine interview this week that he would have "nothing against" returning to Anfield if Real Madrid wanted to sell him. Bentez, though, made it clear yesterday that he had no intention of discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've heard a rumour by a few people that Owen is meant to have bought a house in Newcastle anyone else here this or know if theres any truth in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i heard that aswell and i can tell u it ain't one bit true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ianomccabe wrote:
    i heard that aswell and i can tell u it ain't one bit true!
    I'd reckon real might try to use Owen in a part exchange deal for Gerrard, although I still reckon Chelsea will land his signature (gerrards that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think there is any chance at all of a Gerrard swap deal to Real Madrid with Owen.

Owen will not move back to Liverpool if Gerrard is gone, since it means they can't keep thier best talent, and Owen imo is a better play in his position than Gerrard is in his position. If Gerrard goes to Real Madrid, it will be for cash, but alledegly Benetiz doesn't want cash, he wants players, hence why the move to CHelsea seems very likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smuckers wrote:
    The uncertainty over the future of Baros provoked questions about whether Liverpool would consider re-signing Michael Owen, who said in a magazine interview this week that he would have "nothing against" returning to Anfield if Real Madrid wanted to sell him. Bentez, though, made it clear yesterday that he had no intention of discussing it.

That did'nt last long Rafa leaves door open for Owen

Owen "Would I return to Liverpool? I would have nothing against it if I had to move"

Rafa "He is a Liverpool supporter and it's always an option for him and us."

Sounds like done deal to me! :D

Mike.

Blues deny Ferdinand transfer bid

Chelsea have insisted they have "no interest" in signing centre-back Rio Ferdinand from Manchester United.
    Blues chief executive Peter Kenyon met Ferdinand in a London restaurant at the weekend but the club insisted this was purely "by chance".

"We have made it absolutely clear to Manchester United that we have no interest in signing Rio Ferdinand.

"There is absolutely no significance in Peter Kenyon seeing Rio in a busy London restaurant," said a statement.

The Chelsea statement continued: "This was a meeting purely by chance in a public place.

"Both the player and Manchester United are fully aware of the circumstances of the meeting and Chelsea's position on it.

"Any suggestion that there is an explanation other than a chance meeting will be met with the strongest legal action."

Chelsea claim Kenyon was fulfilling a long-standing dinner appointment with Ferdinand's agent Pini Zahavi, when the England international turned up to retrieve some paperwork from his representative.

The robust response from Stamford Bridge follows a Premier League inquiry into a meeting in a London hotel between Kenyon, Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho and the Arsenal defender Ashley Cole.

It is thought the Premier League are close to announcing that an independent commission, headed by a QC, will hear the details of that meeting, which took place in January at the Royal Park Hotel.

Cole, Kenyon, Mourinho and others have all given the Premier League their version of events.

This story has been doing the rounds for a few weeks.

Chelsea waiting in wings with £18m bid for Wright-Phillips
    By James Ducker

IN A move that is certain to be greeted with a deep sense of foreboding by Arsenal and Manchester United, Chelsea will try to sign Shaun Wright-Phillips in the summer once they have completed a deal to bring Steven Gerrard to Stamford Bridge.
    The Times has learnt that José Mourinho has identified Wright-Phillips as one of his main transfer targets and while the Chelsea manager is likely to face stern resistance from Manchester City for their midfield player, a fee of about £18 million would be difficult for a club saddled with crippling debts to turn down.

Mourinho has become a keen admirer of Wright- Phillips since moving to England and is understood to want a natural right-sided winger in his squad to complement the attacking talents of Damien Duff and Arjen Robben, both of whom are left-footed. Sources close to Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, say the Barclays Premiership leaders are prepared to double Wright-Phillips’s wages to about £50,000 per week.

After the departure last month of Kevin Keegan as manager, John Wardle, the City chairman, said that selling Wright-Phillips was “probably the last thing I would want to do and I would do everything in my power to avoid that”, but he also conceded that he and his fellow board members would “have to look at everything in the summer” to raise funds for Keegan’s successor.

City insisted yesterday that they had received no inquiries — “official or unofficial” — for Wright-Phillips, 23, and reiterated their desire to keep a player who is integral to their long-term plans, but Chelsea are unlikely to be dissuaded by such public utterances.

News of Chelsea’s interest in Wright-Phillips will be a bitter blow to Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, who has made no secret of his admiration for the player, who has won four England caps. Wenger had been expected to lead the chase for Wright- Phillips this summer, but even armed with funds of about £30 million, the Frenchman knows that he cannot compete with the spending power at Mourinho’s disposal.

Arsenal will be buoyed by the belief that Wright-Phillips has ambitions of following in the footsteps of his stepfather, Ian Wright, by playing for the North London club, but officials at City say the winger, who signed a four-year contract days before marking his England debut against Ukraine last August with a goal, has expressed a desire to stay in Manchester.

However, while City’s financial situation appears to have stabilised in recent months, they still have debts of about £62 million and could have no alternative but to sell if the price is almost right for a player whom they value at about £25 million.

Wardle knows that he would incur the wrath of City supporters should he opt to sell Wright-Phillips, who has become an idol since breaking through from the academy ranks, while such a move would be a devastating blow to the future plans of Stuart Pearce, the caretaker manager, who hopes to be given the job on a permanent basis at the end of the season.

Pearce was insistent recently when he said that Wright-Phillips, at present sidelined with a knee injury, was not for sale. “As far as we are concerned, we know what is going to happen with Shaun,” Pearce said. “He is going to get over his current injury, get himself back playing for a club I believe he loves and carry on being a Manchester City player until his contract runs out or he extends it. I don’t see any other issue.

“I have been working closely with the board since Kevin Keegan left and they have never once mentioned his name with regard to a transfer.”

Chelsea’s first priority, though, is to entice Gerrard away from Liverpool, although with the midfield player already thought to have agreed in principle to the transfer, that should prove less problematic than a deal for Wright-Phillips.

It is expected that Chelsea will shatter the British record transfer fee — set when Manchester United paid Leeds United £30 million for Rio Ferdinand in 2002 — to bring Gerrard to West London.

As well as Wright-Phillips and Gerrard, Mourinho will also step up his attempts to lure Ashley Cole, the Arsenal full back, to Stamford Bridge in the summer. The infamous “tapping-up” scandal has done little to quell Mourinho’s desire to sign Cole, although Wenger will fight tooth and nail to keep the player.

Manchester United target Sergio Ramos has refused to rule out the possibility of a move to England, but insists his club Sevilla will decide his future.

The 19-year-old defender has been watched closely by United in recent weeks and they are now believed to be gearing up a summer bid.

Arsenal and Real Madrid are also very keen, but Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to capture one of Europe's top youngsters.

Talking to skysports.com, Ramos says he has not heard anything directly from United.

"I know the news from the papers, but little more than that," he told skysports.com.

"I am happy with my work this season and things are sensational for me because this demonstrates that my play is good.

"If they [United] are interested for me the solution is easy. It all depends on Sevilla, and after that they must speak with my father and brother [his agents]."

Sevilla have recently extended Ramos's release clause to £18 million and president Jose Maria Del Nido insists United will have to pay that if they want him.

"If they pay the clause there will be no problems over negotiations," he stated.

Its been quite a common theme about this guy, never seen him play or heard of him, but if they want 18 mill for a full back who is 18, he must be ****ing good. Long term replacement for Neville I guess?

--

DOes anyone else get the feeling this might be the selling of Slyvestre? Push Heinze into the middle and let Neville and Ramos play on either sides for a while?
    Slyvestre I'd imagine will make a pretty penny on the transfer market.

David Trezeguet has admitted he would like to have a crack at life in The Premiership, but the Juventus striker is also enchanted by the prospect of returning to Argentina.

The France international has been dogged by injuries this term and has been linked with a move away from Turin in the summer.

Barcelona and Valencia have been linked with the fleet-footed forward and the door would appear to be open for a move to La Liga, but the prospect of emulating his great friend Thierry Henry appeals to the striker.

"It would be nice to play in England, why not?" Trezeguet told World Soccer. "But there are other countries in Europe I like such as Spain and, of course, Italy."

Trezeguet forged a fine understanding with Henry at Monaco and he claims it would be attractive to renew his association with the rocket-heeled striker, which has led to suggestions that a move to Arsenal could be in the pipeline.

"We have a perfect understanding so yes, of course, that would be nice (to play again with Henry)," added Trezeguet. "Sometimes, when we talk, we say that we have to play together again.

"I am sure that it will happen, but I can't say where."

Trezeguet spent his childhood in Argentina, starting his career with Platense, and he claims it is a dream of his to turn out for titans River Plate.

"That would be really nice," he added. "And you never know.

"I would like to play for River Plate because I am a River fan.

"Perhaps, at some point, I could go back and play for them and then finish my career at Platense, but that is looking a bit too far ahead right now."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Persistant talk about Mathew Upson joining to "replace" Hyypia and Jose Reina of Villarreal joining with either Dudek or Kirkland being offloaded. The latter does actually seem like a done deal bar the price being sorted. Chelsea have apparently gone off the idea of spending 30 miilion on Gerrard. Though that may be just messing before the next game!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Bowser

I'm not sure if I should post this as a new topic or not but is Gerrard really all that??

I've been watching him lately and noticed the following about him:

His workrate in matches is really up and down. Sometimes he's the best box to box midfielder in the premiership always pressing, tackling, breaking down play and distributing the ball well and other matches he's nearly none existent.

He really cannot dribble the ball well. As far as Im concerned, he is a poor dribbler (although great at arriving into the box late and a sweet striker of the ball).

These two things really make me wonder whether the 30million price tag is justified. I know lampard is not as industrious as Gerrard but he is a far better dribbler than gerrard and certainly a more consistent player.

In my opinion Chelsea should leave him alone. Xavi would definately be a better signing.

Maybe Im missing out something about his abilities but I really dont think I am.

Leave Xavi alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Rumour is that Liverpool are set for a clear out in the Summer.

Players such as Kewell, Pellegrino, Dudek AND Kirkland are on their way out.

Chelsea are due for one too and players such as Kezman, Tiago, Jarosik and Smertin are due to leave the Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Nice article in l'equipe today about van Bommel joining Barca in the summer.
    It then follows up with moves for French players.

"Laporta has confirmed that he dreamed to see Thierry Henry arrive, however he is very attached to Arsenal. "Really, I would like to have him here. But considering his age (27 years), it would be necessary that he comes now." The most accessible French (player) for Barça is currently William Gallas. The Catalan club seriously plans to offer the former Marseillais the place in central defence, which he wants to continue his career. To replace him in the event of his departure, Mourinho is thinking of Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United) and Alex (PSV Eindhoven)".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Gilardino to Milan (from l'equipe today)
    Alberto Gilardino, the international attacker of Parma, could join Milan AC at the end of the season. Current topscorer of Series A joint with the Brazilian Inter, Adriano (21 goals), the Parmesan is very much wanted. Milan AC, which seeks a swap with Tomasson, has established contacts for several months with the player. "A club as Milan AC is obviously very interesting for my career. But I will think seriously about my future from May 29. While waiting, I must make sure that Parma remain in Serie A ", he said on Sunday to Italian radio after his 4 goals against Leghorn (6-4).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Shamrok wrote:
    Gilardino to Milan (from l'equipe today)
    Alberto Gilardino, the international attacker of Parma, could join Milan AC at the end of the season. Current topscorer of Series A joint with the Brazilian Inter, Adriano (21 goals), the Parmesan is very much wanted. Milan AC, which seeks a swap with Tomasson, has established contacts for several months with the player. "A club as Milan AC is obviously very interesting for my career. But I will think seriously about my future from May 29. While waiting, I must make sure that Parma remain in Serie A ", he said on Sunday to Italian radio after his 4 goals against Leghorn (6-4).

yeah i'd love to see that happening, but he has a lot of options with Inter and Juve as well,
    sheva and gilardino, two top scoring players, that would be class if they worked well together
    Oh yeah, Milan are more than likely getting Marek Janulovski from Udinese as well, he's a midfield player, left side i think

edson wrote:
    Oh yeah, Milan are more than likely getting Marek Janulovski from Udinese as well, he's a midfield player, left side i think
    Left back and a superb one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

eirebhoy wrote:
    Left back and a superb one at that.

afaik, he plays midfield as well, but anyway, he'd be a good replacement for maldini if he's a left back as well
    we need a replacement for Cafu as well, if not this year, next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

According to football 365, Arsneal are looking to forl out £12m for this guy

http://www.football365.com/news/transfer_gossip/index.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hes a good player alright. Remeber Stuttgart got to the semi's (i think) there a few years ago. He was a good player in a good team. Can't undersatnd why we would want a left sided midfielder though. What with Pires, cole and Clichy, and Ljungberg and Cesc's versatility. Would have thought Goalkeeper was a prioirty, and maybe anohter cental midfielder what with Edu's enivitable departure.

Man Utd will also put an end to their goalkeeper search and offer Tim Howard a new four-year contract.

http://www.football365.com/news/transfer_gossip/index.shtml

AAHHHHHH WTF!? HOW CAN THIS EVEN BE A RUMOUR!? THIS IS ESSENTIAL! THEY NEED A NEW KEEPER SURELY! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its quite possible Fergie hasnt been given enough money to buy a keeper aswell as other players he needs toget during the summer.

But David Gill said on BBC weeks ago that there was a fund of money aside for a new goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

Rumour is that Real Madrid have offered €30m and Guti for Steven Gerrard. But Rafa Benitez has denied the rumours.

Jose Mourinho has said that he would like Hernan Crespo back at Stamford Bridge this summer outlining that he has had a great season and if Milan want him they will have to pay a lot of money for him.
    Mourinho also stated that he plans to buy 3 new players in the summer.

Mataja Kezman has said that he wishes to stay at Chelsea despite a poor first season in England.
    He is due to meet Mourinho to discuss his future

andyman wrote:
    Mataja Kezman has said that he wishes to stay at Chelsea despite a poor first season in England.
    He is due to meet Mourinho to discuss his future
    “Last season I was always the star of the team, the goalscorer and the best player"

He really is an arrogant fello. Well if he thinks he's better than Robben and van Bommell he must have something. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Roddy23 wrote:
    Hes a good player alright. Remeber Stuttgart got to the semi's (i think) there a few years ago. He was a good player in a good team. Can't undersatnd why we would want a left sided midfielder though. What with Pires, cole and Clichy, and Ljungberg and Cesc's versatility. Would have thought Goalkeeper was a prioirty, and maybe anohter cental midfielder what with Edu's enivitable departure.

I wonder whether Pires is going to stay ?? - I think Vieria will end up abroad (prob with Real Madrid), Cole will go to Chelsea & wouldn't be suprised if Ljundberg goes as part of a swap deal too. Bergy is saying he'll go unless he's offered a new years deal, but I think the club just want him in a coaching/mentor role.

Goaly may be a priority, although Lehmann has started to improve (a lot of the credit has to be with Senderos firming up the defence). I predicted on this site two years ago that Becks would be an Arsenal player withing a year or two & i still reckon this to be the case. Another quality right sided striker would be useful too

Mour's in to rob Ron from Fergie

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is planning a shock summer raid on Manchester United for flying winger Cristiano Ronaldo. Mourinho has identified his fellow Portuguese as a key addition to his squad and is ready to test Old Trafford with a £20m bid. Mourinho knows he faces a real battle persuading Sir Alex Ferguson and United to part with Ronaldo. But Mouringo has a trump card in that his agent, Jorge Mendes, also represents Ronaldo.
    David Woods, Daily Star

Copied and pasted from a diff site, so dont know what its worth....

20 mill?
    Ronaldo would go for a hell of a lot more than that if Chelsea were buying him off United.
    Also, I seriously doubt that, Mourinho doens't like superstars, or people who might be superstars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

betis Pres say liverpool have enquired about Joaquin. Who hasn't I'd say.

That is expected. I was waiting for it to happen. Why wouldn't they? Rafa Benitez is an excellent coach and they are in the CL final. I can really see Rafa turning Liverpool into a good team when they get rid of the duds like Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

dont see why mourinho would want (the other) ronaldo

Can't see Tiago leaving he's not a brilliant player but does do a specific job when asked, the others yes I can see.
    According to a couple of broadsheets,(express/mail) Chelsea are closing in on Michael Essien for 14mil, interesting if true.
    According to The People, Utd are in talks with Cudicini, madness to sell him to a PL club, but it The People, and like most papers only get it sometimes right.

Manchester United are in for Essien aswell

I would like to see Cudicini go to them as it revive his career and utd woould have a decent keeper

• Advertisement

Cudicini won't go to United, Kenyon wouldn't let it happen.
    Essien has stated he wants to go to United eventually, but not yet.
    He isn't at that level yet either, if you saw him against PSV, but he'll be there eventually.
    If we can get him now I guess that'd be good, but maybe loan him back for a season or two

Here's Essien story:

Chelsea go for £14 million star
    PETER FITTON, Mail on Sunday

Chelsea celebrated their first title triumph for 50 years after receiving the Premiership trophy - and moved to reinforce their position as England's dominant team by finalising negotiations to take midfielder Michael Essien to Stamford Bridge. Final details of the £14 million purchase from French club Lyon have been left in the hands of Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon and are being thrashed out.

But it is understood 22-yearold Essien has already committed his future to the English champions.

Kenyon flew to the south of France before Chelsea's defeat in the Champions League semifinal at Liverpool on Tuesday night to prepare the deal. It was the first official confirmation that Mourinho had finally identified Ghanaian international Essien as his prime target and the player to reinforce a midfield axis of Footballer of the Year Frank Lampard, and Claude Makele, in defending the Premiership title.
    Financial package

Manchester United, who had also monitored Essien's performances in Europe, and Arsenal were unable to compete with the financial package on offer once Mourinho made his move.

But Essien's arrival will not deter Kenyon from pushing ahead with plans to sign Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Gerrard has promised to decide on his future after the Champions League final in Istanbul against AC Milan on May 25.

Despite Chelsea's confidence earlier this year that they would sign Gerrard, Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez now claims he is sure he can persuade his captain to stay at Anfield.

Benitez said: "I am now sure that Gerrard will be with us next season. He is very happy and focused on Liverpool after so much talk about his career.

"With him and Xabi Alonso we will have the best midfield pair in the game. It can save us a lot of money. I would rather have Gerrard than the money."

Perhaps, but

"I know that [the press reports regarding interest from Premiership clubs], " he told Sky Sports News.

"But, for me, I don't think about that because I have left everything for my manager [agent].

"So I don't think about it and just concentrate on my football.

"I like Manchester. I know most of their players and like them, and would like to play one day in the Premier League.

"I'll be happy to play for Manchester but, at the moment, I'm in Lyon and I have to concentrate on that.

"I like Old Trafford because it's one of the nicest stadiums in Europe and, foremost, I like the coach [Sir Alex Ferguson] very well."

----

Then later:

"It was wonderful to play at Old Trafford," Essien told Four Four Two.

"They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe so of course I was happy to play there, but no, I wasn't think about my future during the game.

"I get on the pitch and only think about football.

"In England the game is based on physical strength and that's what I like.

"I think I can adapt well, I think I have the qualities to play there and I already speak the language.

"It will be easier for me than when I arrived in France.

"I'll be happy in England."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

He'll play for whoever offers the best combo of wages and footballing opportunities. He's just trying to attract offers.

Edu has confirmed he will leave Arsenal after the FA Cup. Its a shame after all arsenal did for him but then again he wants to be playing first team football regularly

Duschler (Utd fans will remember him!) has spoken about Liverpools interest in him.

Van de Vaert has submitted a transfer request, Benetiz tried to sign him whilst at Valencia, others potentially interested are hamburg, arsenal, and utd

Talk of Hamann going to Bolton as well. - would be a great signing for them

VdV is extremely overrated imo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4348547.stm
    French champions Lyon have rejected a bid from Chelsea for 22-year-old midfielder Michael Essien.

President Jean-Michel Aulou insisted Sidney Govou will be the only player to leave the French club this summer despite Chelsea's interest in Essien.

"Only one player will go, I repeat it. Chelsea came up with an offer (for Essien) and left with nothing", Aulou told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"I am ready to renegotiate existing contracts but nothing else."

Ghana international Essien had been linked with numerous clubs throughout the season, including Arsenal and Manchester United as well as Chelsea.

Essien's agent, Fabien Piveteau, claimed several top European clubs want to sign the midfielder.

"I know that Juventus are interested in Michael," Piveteau said.

"I've not, however, had any direct contact with them yet, which is not the case with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Arsenal."

Lyon clinched the French league title for the fourth successive season last weekend.

But coach Paul Le Guen left as coach on Monday, prompting speculation several major players would follow him out of the club.

Aulou has moved quickly to insist the nucleus of the team will remain in place.

"Sidney Govou said he wanted to leave. After what he has done for the club, he has the right to go, but that will be all," added Aulou.

"We have the best players in Europe in the midfield with Mahamadou Diarra, Michael Essien, Juninho."

• Advertisement

This bothers me so much. What can Utd do if they want the same player? Chelsea will always be able to pay that bit more. It just seems like cheating to me. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement