Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Prices and Iraq

Options
  • 13-05-2004 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Dear All,

I'm sure not many of us were surprised that the price of oil has increased as a result of the US occupation of Iraq. What I would like to pose here is whether or not this was a goal of the US administration. Does the US administration want higher oil prices?

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No. The US would like more control over the price of oil to keep it low. The US government hates having to rely on outside powers (OPEC, etc) in order to mantain a supply of what drives their economy. They've only have control of a small percentage of the worlds unused reserve of oil so they're resorting to hoarding a full two year supply and trying to control world oil politics whenever possible.

Control over oil prices is the lowest common denominator in most of the US dealings with the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    No. The US would like more control over the price of oil to keep it low. The US government hates having to rely on outside powers (OPEC, etc) in order to mantain a supply of what drives their economy.

Control over oil prices is the lowest common denominator in most of the US dealings with the middle east.
    Hi Leeroy,

On the face of it I would agree with you. On the other hand doesn't the US admin have interestes in OPEC? I have heard this suggested before and if anyone has any proof of this please post it. I find it hard to believe that the most powerful country in the world would have no control over OPEC.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm sure it has a lot of influence within OPEC, but ultimately most of the oil reserves are still owned/controlled by non-us, arab groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

There was some guy from Dublin on the Ryan Show a few weeks back who had an oil company in Iraq, he said that there was a lot of lines been damaged by the Iraqi's because they didn't want the US to get the oil.

He said they were damaging the lines rather than the refinery's because they know the wealth that will be avilable when the US leaves.

Advertisement