Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated resizing of images

Options
  • 13-05-2004 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's the deal. A company I work for needs to be able to resize client submitted images/logos to certain dimensions so as to fit onto a webpage. I don't know whether they want to be able to them in batches. I know Photoshop can do this no hassle as you could just record a new action set whilst resizing an image and apply this to any image or folder of images. Adobe Photoshop would be a very expensive solution to this problem though so I'm looking for an alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

There's plenty of tools to do that...
    Photoshop will be one be you can have a look into PaintShop Pro, ACD See...

Then you can also do that on a server (if the settings for the size are always the same) with PHP. There's few libraries for images manipulation, automatic creation of thumbnails,...

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I'm basically looking for the cheapest solution to this. They won't be using the graphics software for anything else other than resizing images so a few hundred euro for Photoshop is pretty much out of the question. Don't want to get into programming bits of code either. Surely there's a free widely used graphics program that could do this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Think I'm gonna go with IrfanView. It does everything I need it to and more. And it's free!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

GReat program that.. :)

• Advertisement

Update. IrfanView does the job fine. Another problem now. The client logo has to be 1000x10 ppi! So, I need a program that allows you to use a canvas so I can just make the canvas that size leaving a lot of whitespace and make sure the logo fits into the 100 pixel height restriction. Am I making sense? It's basically a banner like the Boards.ie one above. I've also looked at Paint Shop Pro and it does the whole canvas thing aswell. Looking for something a little cheaper though. Does Adobe Photoshop Elements do it? I think it does. Any other suggestions?

Advertisement