Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - are they truly hopeless ?

Options
  • 13-05-2004 10:36am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

My wife has been with meteor for a few years but over the last 8-10 months they have become incompetent:

- October - roaming setup with usual €60 mandatory deposit, applied in advance but it wasn't actually setup. When contacted they blamed lack of notice (notice given was greater than required my Meteor) and eventually set it up and debited the €60 again - eventually got a refund,

- April - roaming setup ok. However they never debited the mandatory €60 saying is was customers fault. Cost €40 in calls from France on hold to get roaming actually setup. Took 3 days of waiting for supervisors to call to get refund.

- May, turns out they debited the €60 mandatory deposit twice - they blame customers card for problem, supervisor to ring abck after break, next day still no response.

Each of these occasions the customer was balmed for the fault, in one case they said that they _never_ debit your CC before roaming. Supervisors are never available when you call and never ring back. Refunds when given are in form of credit rather than hard cash. In April it took the threat of the Small-claims court to get them to resolve the issue...

.. anybody else any similar issues ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Meteor is great for low mobile prices but like any coverage related issue Romaing is one of those things that lets Meteor down.

I have paid the €60 to set up roaming (repaid in credit) on 3 occassions. The first 2 times they set it up for me with no problems.

The third time I paid €60 to get it set up so I could roam in the UK. I got to the UK and roaming was not set up. I never got around to complaining about it. I think it wasnt set up because the CC rep I was talking to did not have a clue what she was doing.

Why don't they just drop this €60 charge like Vodafone and o2 have done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

All networks have issues with roaming. Alot of roaming problems are out of the hands of the home networks because customers are using other country's network. That's why service can only be guarenteed where coverage by the irish network in question is available as is stated in Vodafone, O2 and Meteor's terms and conditions.

The 60euro deposit is a credit issue. Obviously Meteor can't withold service to a prepaid customer's mobile when they run out of credit while roaming and therefore need the deposit to ensure customers don't go into a negative balance. I've heard they are ditching the 60euro deposit - maybe it has something to do with them installing new systems from ericsson which are also used by Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Originally posted by parsi
    My wife has been with meteor for a few years but over the last 8-10 months they have become incompetent:

- October - roaming setup with usual €60 mandatory deposit, applied in advance but it wasn't actually setup. When contacted they blamed lack of notice (notice given was greater than required my Meteor) and eventually set it up and debited the €60 again - eventually got a refund,

- April - roaming setup ok. However they never debited the mandatory €60 saying is was customers fault. Cost €40 in calls from France on hold to get roaming actually setup. Took 3 days of waiting for supervisors to call to get refund.

- May, turns out they debited the €60 mandatory deposit twice - they blame customers card for problem, supervisor to ring abck after break, next day still no response.

Each of these occasions the customer was balmed for the fault, in one case they said that they _never_ debit your CC before roaming. Supervisors are never available when you call and never ring back. Refunds when given are in form of credit rather than hard cash. In April it took the threat of the Small-claims court to get them to resolve the issue...

.. anybody else any similar issues ?

Hay , sorry to hear about your troubles. I work for meteor and it pisses me of to hear you have had these problems. first of all, no notice is needed to take of roaming from an account. It takes me in total about 5mins and you dont need to be in the country to have it done, the customer care rep was talking rubbish.
    For obvious resons i cant get into a rant about them.
    My advice to you though is to get roaming removed through one of the stores, were better trained than customer care and if ya want you can stand there and watch the roaming bar being removed.

Ive gotta go out so ill keep this brief, but ill tell ya more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm jhappy with meteor. Comreg are supposed to be encouraging better coperatioojn on rooaming, so I'm holding off on that.

Coverage good in Limerick but was dodgy in Carrick-on-shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Meteors rates are very good.

But do they have roaming agtreements with other networks within Ireland?

I have been a customer for over a year. But never used the service far from main roads and cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Vodafone are cr@p,

Its official. People who work for vodafone will tell you (outside work) that vodafone are cr@p, their customer service is non existant and they will tell you *anything* to sell u a phone, im not saying ALL vodafone reps are b@astards, a good few are very decent people, specially in the retail stores, but even they will tell you that the *majority* working in the company are muppets, who wouldnt know one fone from another if it werent on front of them on the screen when u give them the model name to type in. :rolleyes:
    "In my experience" over many years, and many many phones, Vodafone will do anything and everything possible to make your mobile phone experience as irritating and costly as possible.

Meteor, on the other hand, I have had very few problems with, and i have nearly always found them eager to help and often they have admitted when they dont know somthing, found out, and phoned me back! :)
    Yes they have their faults, and the hold time for tech support is ridiculous (is for vodafone too tho), but given a choice, Id pick meteor ANYtime over the other two.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

I disagree I'm with vodafone for a couple of years never had one problem with them there customer care is A+ any issues is sorted out straight away no bull****.
    Having tried meteor out what you have said about Vodafone Customer I would apply this to meteor!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Originally posted by Cork
    Meteors rates are very good.

But do they have roaming agtreements with other networks within Ireland?

I have been a customer for over a year. But never used the service far from main roads and cities.

Not yet, theres been talk about it but no agreement has been made.Its all down to comreg.
    The plan though is for Meteor to have about 98% coverage around September/October. Theres a huge push on at the moment to improve the size of the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

From what I'm hearing from people I know. There seem to be a lot of people switching to meteor to reduce their phone bills. Thats just the impression I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Meteoe are prob best on price, but if you plan on being away from major towns and cities forget it, their covarage is still very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've been with Meteor three years now. They are easily best on price. I pay about 25 a month for 75 texts (+30 online) and 75 minutes. However, coverage is awful. Once you leave Dublin, it's very hit and miss. And, even in Dublin, you can have problems. In Baggot street in most pubs you will lose the signal and that's a bit ridiculous. I keep a PAYG Vodafone sim and pop that in when I'm in a pub in Baggot st.

Customer service used to be good but now you're on hold for ages too. They're trying to sort out roaming agreements with Vodafone so that might help things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭J-537

Yeah Tazz T thats the only thing I hate about Meteor - Waiting for ages (15mins+).

There is a cool poll just set-up by neev "Best Network?" its worth a look - ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160760

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Falkorre
    Meteor, on the other hand, I have had very few problems with, and i have nearly always found them eager to help and often they have admitted when they dont know somthing, found out, and phoned me back! :)
    Yes they have their faults,

Me too for some reason. I find them the most pleasant and least stressful to deal with ... by far.

I like the culture where they can admit they don't know, the other showers are brutal when you catch them out as they won't admit they are clueless when caught red handed.

Meteor are dodge for coverage in Rural areas, thats all. If you are a city slicker they are fine.

Their post paid bundles are great value too if you are a heavy user.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I know a few you left meteor because of capacity issues in their network. They all moved to vodafone and have no problems now. Vodafone are a bit expensive but from my experience they have a better network than O2 or meteor.

Advertisement