Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Voice Services from DSL Line?

• 13-05-2004 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Is it possible?

I did a search on Google Groups, ie.comp and it turned up a man who removed the voice services from his telephone line but kept DSL. eircom, Netsource and ComReg all swear blind that you can't do this but it's costing me 24 euro per month for voice services I don't use...

Any ideas?

DArragh

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well id say you will still have to pay that money as its line rental you're paying for
    aswell and not just voice services..

Im sure Eircom would charge you something very close to that rate just to use the
    line anyway...

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

The only way you can do it is by getting DSL via LLU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by query
    The only way you can do it is by getting DSL via LLU
    That would essentially mean that you'd have to provide your own DSLAM within the exchange though wouldn't it? Or else, you'd have to rent a port from a provider....very expensive, on top of what eircom will charge you for unbundling the line.

You don't pay €24 per month for voice services, you pay €24 a month for the "priviledge" of using the line. So even if you don't use voice services, you're still using the line for DSL, so have to pay the rental.

Depending on the country and the services, the guy on Google groups may not have to pay line rental at all, instead just has to pay a subscription for voice services, which he cancelled because he only uses DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

That would essentially mean that you'd have to provide your own DSLAM within the exchange though wouldn't it? Or else, you'd have to rent a port from a provider....very expensive, on top of what eircom will charge you for unbundling the line.
    No, it means you need to get DSL from ESAT, or anyone else who does LLU.

L.

Originally posted by Baud
    No, it means you need to get DSL from ESAT, or anyone else who does LLU.

L.
    They'll still charge you line rental though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

They'll still charge you line rental though.

Even on an unbundled line?

I was under the impression that Esat covered that in their DSL price?

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Even on an unbundled line?

I was under the impression that Esat covered that in their DSL price?
    I may be wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

I may be wrong

As i frequently am :D

I'm in the process of getting my line unbundled precisely for that reason. If i still have to pay line rental it'll have been a complete waste of time. Must check with them again as to what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

There are posts here if you look hard enough from people who have done it - only with ESAT business DSL from one of their exchanges. But from what I remember of their posts you have to state to ESAT first that you do not want the line for voice calls and get them to take it off Eircom - or something like that. But if you wait until the process is done you will be too late and you'll be stuck paying Eircom forever...

It is possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Only way you can have DSL with no line rental atm is with Esat Business. When you order you must tick the LLU tick box as this will give Esat complete control over the line.
    If you already have esat business you would have to re-subscribe to the service. They may wave the instal charges or they may not(i was offered that anyway).

Esat Business do not cover the cost of line rental in their monthly charge of €108 (incl VAT).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Thanks lads for clearing it all up in my head.

So I can't have DSL only down an eircom provided line - you must retain voice services to keep the line active.

It makes sense to an extent - I wouldn't mind a token rental of say 10 euro per month but 24 euro per month is excessive for what is being utilised on the line.

Are Esat the only other company that can LLU? Is it presumptuous of me to say duopoly here?

I may email Netsource, ask them if they can connect to us through an unbundled line - but I don't know - do they have access to the local exchange?

I'll continue my crusade - is irelandoffline still active - do they have a view on this?

Thanks,

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

any operator can unbundle a line, smart telecom have just annnouced they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by query
    any operator can unbundle a line, smart telecom have just annnouced they will
    Any operator that has their own equipment in an exchange can unbundle a line. And getting the equipment into an exchange is an expensive process, so it will probably only happen in exchanges where there are enough business lines in place to justify the investment (because converting businesses with dozens of lines is the only way to spread the costs and plan for a 3 year RoI).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know what the unbundled products from Esat Business cost? Ballpark like.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know what the unbundled products from Esat Business cost? Ballpark like.
    Pricing here(exVAT).
    Bundled & unbundled costs the same (basic 512k package costs ~€110/month (inc VAT) bundled or unbundled.)

The pricing has pretty much remained unchanged since this product was introduced (I think there was a slight price drop for 1Mb & 2Mb packages several months ago) .

There was a rumour that a price reduction would happen to keep it in line with the Eircom business price drop a while back ...still no sign of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

I've been waiting since march 1st for Esat business to downgrade one of out ISDN lines in work and install Business DSL on it...

Hope you are not in a hurry

My account manager never replies to e-mails or calls.

They are useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by geecee
    I've been waiting since march 1st for Esat business to downgrade one of out ISDN lines in work and install Business DSL on it...

Hope you are not in a hurry

They are useless
    My account manager is the same.

Your best bet might to be to go over his/her head, try emailing bill.murphy@esat.com with your prob (ppl on boards have got results doing this in the past).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

They are useless

My one is absolutely brilliant. I mailed a general question into their tech support and the next day he rang me to answer my questiona nd told me to to ring him next time no matter what the question is and he'll try to sort or answer it.

Took me a month to get mine in and apparently i was very lucky for the speed. Engineer who came out said some people were waiting over 2-3months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Here's a question in response to ripwaves point:

Does netsource (or any other isp for that matter) pay anything for the connection from our exchange to their router in Dublin? Or does eircom provide that connection for the ill fated 24 euros per month?

Darragh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Jilm
    Pricing here(exVAT).
    Thanks Jilm, much appreciated. (Went looking for that before, couldn't find it.)

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement