Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion about Bickering/Suggestions forum

Options
  • 13-05-2004 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

So you want a board where quite a few of the most active posters will have no feedback into how the place is run. sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mods are people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by smiaras
    I know that their opinion holds a lot of value in these parts but can regular users not have a place to voice opinions without getting lambasted/flame baited/ big little whatever?
    Mods are regular users. Look past the tags and see spammy nerds.

It's no accident that mainly mods reply, as we all like to have a say, and we have the same right to. If non-mods feel intimidated posting, that's their problem. If they disagree with a mod, they can say it.

I don't see why people should be protected from being shot down if a suggestion doesn't have merit. If they're wrong, they're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Originally posted by seamus
    If non-mods feel intimidated posting, that's their problem. If they disagree with a mod, they can say it.

Not without being attacked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Shhhhh. The mods are coming. Don't speak out of turn again. You will be sleeping with the fishes soon.

The mods only have status on the boards they mod. Outside their own board they are classed as regular boards users. Doesn't matter if you are a mod or not on the Admin board. The Admins have the final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've no idea how many forums there are on boards (actually how many forums are there?) but i mod a whole two of em which is a quite a small percentage i reckon.

however i use many more of them on a regular basis and i dont see why opinion on whatever should be removed due to this small percentage.

what does bother me is if some new user comes along now and requests a simpson forum or anything else thats been discussed before is that people will probably jump down his/her throat instead of politely saying its been dicussed before and decided against.

another thing is the recent renaming of this forum and while it is somewhat amusing is indicative of the problem. Why is it now bickering instead of feedback? if the forum has been brought down to the level of petty bickering then why isn't it being modded better?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Am I the only that's noticed that this forum is typically dominated by responses from mods? I know that their opinion holds a lot of value in these parts but can regular users not have a place to voice opinions without getting lambasted/flame baited/ big little whatever?

way before I became a mod I was a regular user just like yourself , why you would think my opinion counts for something more than yours is beyond me, it doesn't.
    If you see more responses from mods in here than normal users then it's because they are more interested in commenting on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry about the double post but that's completely untrue. You can say it but you'd get pounced on by about 20 other mods (It's like some mad psychic bond they seem to have :D). Also that really highlights some of the flame baiting that goes on here, mods are seemingly able to say something which they know tempts a reply but regular users have to be far more careful with their language and tone.

Great idea. The mods have their own forum for discussing whatever it is they discuss. Why can,t the mortals have one as well? Feed back suggestions could then be a forum solely for us plebs to make suggestions and give feedback which was probably the reason of its inception. . It would have to be modded by admins as it is now of course

Just because i mod one board does it make me any less of a regular user on every other one.

Sorry about the double post but that's completely untrue. You can say it but you'd get pounced on by about 20 other mods (It's like some mad psychic bond they seem to have ). Also that really highlights some of the flame baiting that goes on here, mods are seemingly able to say something which they know tempts a reply but regular users have to be far more careful with their language and tone.
    They tend to get pounced on because it's been dealt with before (see below), and they're either wrong or in a minority. I don't think mods are necessarily more allowed to say something which is trolling or flaming, they're just a little more experienced at making it appear civil. The less experienced user then replies uncivilly and finds himself getting eaten up. That's not confined to Feedback/Suggestions though, and is part of the craic on boards.
    Originally posted by Dataisgod
    what does bother me is if some new user comes along now and requests a simpson forum or anything else thats been discussed before is that people will probably jump down his/her throat instead of politely saying its been dicussed before and decided against.
    That annoys me too. It's something that needs to be addressed.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Why can,t the mortals have one as well?

perhaps your opinions of us are part of the problem. i'm only immortal on the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Possibility of a bickering and suggestions forum without feedback from mods?

Who would mod this "no mods allowed" forum? Kind of a catch 22 situation methinks ;)

davej

perhaps your opinions of us are part of the problem. i'm only immortal on the weekends

No Its not. I don't have any set opinion on mods or admin. I take each as i find them and i have found some to be very nice and helpful and some not so. I can handle it but when a new user or a young member is flamed for amking a suggestion that the deem reasonable by a mod it can be off putting and gives a wrong impression of this board.

Of course the Mods should have their say on things but they in effect are management level here and already have their own forum for discussion with admins.

Its the no asok's club all over again damn you asok hickilton!!

I can handle it but when a new user or a young member is flamed for amking a suggestion that the deem reasonable by a mod it can be off putting and gives a wrong impression of this board.
    yeap agree with this here alright

Of course the Mods should have their say on things but they in effect are management level here and already have their own forum for discussion with admins.

that forum for discussion though is mainly to let others know who has been banned from what and why and it doesn't serve the same function as this forum. I presume if a mod wanted to discuss something with an admin is unless it particularly related to the board modded by that mod the suggestion should be here or the discussion by pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Admin...they are almighty beings of course and in these parts there word is scripture :D

you don't think they have enough to do already?

god your stupid

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    you don't think they have enough to do already?

They already mod this forum so no extra work is involved.

that forum for discussion though is mainly to let others know who has been banned from what and why and it doesn't serve the same function as this forum. I presume if a mod wanted to discuss something with an admin is unless it particularly related to the board modded by that mod the suggestion should be here or the discussion by pm

Ok but do the mods and admin not hav a forum where they discuss whats happeing in private , if not one would be a good idea with suggestions from this forum going there for the admin to get the mods opinion on it.

Ok but do the mods and admin not hav a forum where they discuss whats happeing in private , if not one would be a good idea with suggestions from this forum going there for the admin to get the mods opinion on it.

not that i'm aware of though i suppose it could be done on the mod forum, but thats just setting mods and non-mods apart again. why would the admin want to get the mods opinion on anything when we can just post here, our opinion holds no more weight or whatever.

No, any recommended changes would go through this board.

Things that get discussed on the Mod board are things that will affect the Mods jobs directly. Anything that will have an effect all users is put here. Except for one or two things which the admins want to run by the mods first before the whole community - the mods were given access to the subscription system early for testing for example.

They already mod this forum so no extra work is involved. <-- there will be if they have to create another to get mods opinions.(see fig 1.0)

Ok but do the mods and admin not hav a forum where they discuss whats happeing in private , fig 1.0we dont if not one would be a good idea with suggestions from this forum going there for the admin to get the mods opinion on it. we can do that all here in one forum

not that i'm aware of though i suppose it could be done on the mod forum, but thats just setting mods and non-mods apart again. why would the admin want to get the mods opinion on anything when we can just post here, our opinion holds no more weight or whatever.

I agree that mods opinion holds no more weight than non mod useres here but I don't believe that the is the general perception of newer members. It has taken me a year to come to that realisation and I do believe what Simirias has highlighted is a genunine problem. My suggestions are probably not the answer but as boards expands at a pace the issue of some mods attitude needs to be addressed.

perhaps they could put something in the newbie FAQ saying only listen to the mods on the forums they mod :)

• Advertisement

btw did any1 EVAR tell u ur stupid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement