Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion about Bickering/Suggestions forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've decided you're the first

we shall now have a ceremony where i hand you a large bunch of flowers

/me hands asok a large bunch of flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

*JOY!* :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by smiaras
    I don't care whether their opinion holds more weight than mine, it's their conduct that I'd be more concerned about.

what makes you think your opinion is weighted less than the opinion of a mod?

I mean the whole Johnny Versace thing was a joke. If you don't like the guy that's cool but why try and flame bait him?

i think you will find these things are down to human nature, and not down to titles.

just because someone has moderator status, doesnt mean their not a díckhead.

treat everyone equally. the mods job is simply to pull up people who dont do that. if they cant do that, they maybe their situation should be reviewed?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If they're wrong they're wrong yes but why aggrevate the situation? I find the idea of having admin giving a single reply much better, sure you're going to get the obvious why followed by the but why replies. But hey I find that a lot better than scrolling through loads of replies, I mean how many times and in how many ways can you say You're wrong (Sets counter..on your marks, get set...go!)

The admin forum can only be replied to by Admins. You should post there if you only want an admin reply. WARNING: Forum suggestions will be moved here.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've actually suggested that idea before for the entire *site*. I still think it would improve things round here.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    I've actually suggested that idea before for the entire *site*. I still think it would improve things round here.

DeV.

Do you mean that you would be required two existing member to sponsor you before oyu could become a member? Or do you mean for each individual board. Sounds excessive. Also keep in mind certain people who would never have got sponsorship from any of the regs. You're basically basing your entire opinion of someone on your first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

don't know if this is possible or not but how about when a mod posts on a fourm that isn't the one they moderate they have a normal tag line and no "Mod: <insert board i moderate here>".

People wouldn't be as confused then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

smiaras, you are trying to rob me (personally) of my right to contribute to boards.ie as a normal member. I don't like that and vehemently disagree with your suggestion.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

smiaras, you are trying to rob me (personally) of my right to contribute to boards.ie as a normal member. I don't like that and vehemently disagree with your suggestion.

Cheers,
    Al.

In all fairness, who cares what you think? You're a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This place is filling up with whiny bitches.

What DeV said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seems like a good idea but then again good ideas on boards dont go hand in hand
    Mods/admins seem to interested in pushing thier own points of view most of the time.

1000 posts:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by jank
    Seems like a good idea but then again good ideas on boards dont go hand in hand
    mods/admins seem to interested in pusing thier own points of view most of the time.

1000 posts:cool:
    Mwuhahahaha. Today you're fighting teh powah...tomorrow you'll be one of us. It is inevitable. You cannot escape your destiny Neo^H^H^Hjank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There is a sense of intimidation from the mods though. Don't argue or you'll be sorry and when you do argue they can say what they like about you and there's nothing you can do . . they're protected !

The soccer forum was made a closed shop because of the alleged crap being posted there, some of the threads in this forum for the past week make what happened on soccer look insignificant yet nothing has been said are done about it !! I mean full on bitch slapping in the wierd email forum was let slide because of the clique of the mods.

Sorry smiaras I found another 2 cents !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Zener i think i should probably state before someone does flame your ass for failing to have any grasp as to wtf was going on on the "weird email" thread that it was not let slide because of the "mod clique".

It was let slide because of the particular user it was against Boston AKA skanger AKA half of bubbles (dont quite know which half).

So if you're going to go around making a half arsed viewpoint, at least try and get an idea of whats going on. I really am sick of the "mod clique" line being toted out as well as the "well normal users dont cop that outside of their board the mods are just normal users so thats why we should make it so the mods cant reply" line, cus thats just ****e. if someone cant cop it is it neccessary to mollycoddle their ignorance?

I mod a highly HIGHLY insignificant board. Highly. I do very little. i delete the odd troll from around the place. i keep it clean and civil. Generally the mod board is very little use to me as i dont exactly have to keep a close eye on who's doing what cus they generally dont come my way (with the exception of vader, our now departed thread).

Now let me get this straight, after a friend asked me if i would take over the forum for her cus she no longer had an interest in it, i should then be penalised by no longer being able to act like a "regular" user as it was put, and voice my views here?

One word. Horseshit.

And in the same thread where someone attempts segregation of this sort we also have people bitching about the "mod Clique omfg!"

also Unrealqueen: you were fairly banned. simply because you dont like it you INSIST on putting in a snide comment on EVERY SINGLE THREAD thats about a banning. every one. Give it a ****ing rest! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by seamus
    Mods are regular users. Look past the tags and see spammy nerds.
    I resemble that remark.

Zener i think i should probably state before someone does flame your ass for failing to have any grasp as to wtf was going on on the "weird email" thread that it was not let slide because of the "mod clique".

Thanks for the warning but I think I had a pretty good idea of what was happening and my initial comment still stands. If anyone else had been the cause their asses would have been wooped and no mistake.
    I mod a highly HIGHLY insignificant board. Highly. I do very little. i delete the odd troll from around the place. i keep it clean and civil. Generally the mod board is very little use to me as i dont exactly have to keep a close eye on who's doing what cus they generally dont come my way (with the exception of vader, our now departed thread)

Where you mod:
    6. also, newbies, do us all a favour and post in the "who's who" thread. keep spam in there to a minimum please.

Thats what this thread is referring to, there is no assumption whatsoever that a "newbie" might just be a mature adult with the requisite cop on.
    And in the same thread where someone attempts segregation of this sort we also have people bitching about the "mod Clique omfg!

:rolleyes:

ZEN

You seem to have missed the point of a charter - it spells out all the things that people should and shouldnt do. therefore to put that in is perfectly acceptable.

Secondly In respect to CTYI i have every right to assume that the newbie isnt a mature adult - the board mainly consists of 13-16yr olds. so rather than copying and pasting trying to prove your point, think before you post.

Why have you chosen to light on me here ? I didn't start the thread but merely expressed an opinion having been at the blunt end of an argument with a mod with no recourse whatsoever.

Unreal queen too seems to have been at the wrong end of a row with a mod - I recall reading her appeals here and wondering if there wasn't a clash of personalities.

I dont know you from adam and already I dont particularly like you - not that you'll be too worried by that i hope - but you arrived here with airs and graces giving out to me - come back and have a go at me later when they've dropped son !

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by ZENER
    Thanks for the warning but I think I had a pretty good idea of what was happening and my initial comment still stands. If anyone else had been the cause their asses would have been wooped and no mistake.

ZEN

Sorry just what the **** are you talking about. Look at you sitting there talking to crash, we wont be able to get him to shut up for months. someone actually gave him the light of day, now you've gone and don'it
    It was let slide because of the particular user it was against

Crash you're so far off the mark its funny, I might enlighten you one day. That's a pretty low opinion you have of certain individual in charge around here if you think that behaviour goes on.

Well tbh I have no problem with you, I simply have this severe dislike for this whole "mod clique is the reason for "whatever ****e which gets bandied around randomly. Fair enough if it actually is a case of a couple of mods covering each others ass thing but the thread you mentioned has nothing to do with that. what that has to do with is a few users with a long history having a go at each other. the reason it wasnt deleted was not because the people picking the fight were mods, but was because the subject of the fight was boston. no complicated reason - its simple fact and he'd even back me up here, whether its boston or bubbles posting.

Secondly: airs and graces? so calling you on a mistake is now thought of as airs and graces? you read my post and instantly thought you would catch me out by copying and pasting the first thing that caught your eye on the board, which failed. live with it without trying to resort to the personal **** right?

btw, they have dropped.

And i bet mines bigger than yours. :P

<<edit>> boston/bubbles/bubbleston: look back over your time on boards. think of slags you've recieved from other users. have the arguments you've had with them been more or less tolerated than that of the average user?

And i'll be going to bed in five so i will stop talking after this one :p

Originally posted by ZENER
    Why have you chosen to light on me here ? I didn't start the thread but merely expressed an opinion having been at the blunt end of an argument with a mod with no recourse whatsoever.
    This kind of proves my point from earlier on. crash wasn't attacking you. He may have been blunt sure, but if he met you in the street or posted on another board, he's not going to ignore you or attack you. There's too much defensiveness about hurt egos here. People tell you you're wrong, or criticise you bluntly, (I'm using "you" in the general sense here) and you get hurt and claim that the mods are ganging up on you. Nobody will stand up for you here. Defend your points instead of letting it get personal. BTW, recourse? What action did you take to attempt to get recourse?
    Unreal queen too seems to have been at the wrong end of a row with a mod - I recall reading her appeals here and wondering if there wasn't a clash of personalities.
    Yes, between her and about 90% of the posters on the site. Not including myself funnily enough.
    I dont know you from adam and already I dont particularly like you - not that you'll be too worried by that i hope - but you arrived here with airs and graces giving out to me - come back and have a go at me later when they've dropped son !
    As I said above. Defend your points, don't resort petty remarks.

For the record i honestly didnt come into this intending to be as blunt as i seem to have come across, just got quite passionate on the subject.

(Thats really funny because I've had the boards is a privilege not a right garbage spouted at me from mods)
    Good point. Made me smile. The only thing is that boards is a priviledge not a right, but you'll always see the majority of mods, and all the admins, attempt to treat all users as having equal rights on boards, within reason. They're all only imagined anyway. Nobody has any say except the Admins. Half of the userbase could post here demanding something, and DeV can just go "No...*lock*" :)

Through the process of this thread I've read other people's comments and opinions and I think this segment is really what I'm trying to highlight:
    quote:

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I can handle it but when a new user or a young member is flamed for amking a suggestion that the deem reasonable by a mod it can be off putting and gives a wrong impression of this board.

Orignally posted by Dataisgod
    yeap agree with this here alright
    I agree that a problem exists but it can get frustrating when people with 4/500 posts post up with a stupid suggestion or claim of harrassment. boards isn't necessarily 'cliquey', but when a majority of users disagree with something, they're sure as hell going to let you know about it. The problem being that many mods a) Have a fair idea of where the site is going, and what has been refused in the past and b) of what sounds like an unreasonable and/or ridiculous suggestion, so they'll inform said user of it, sometimes not politely..... Which is also why you'll mostly see discussion when a mod posts a suggestion.
    Again I'm not going to single anyone out here, but on this very thread you've got a mod who IMO is using excessively harsh language,
    Don't be afraid to name him. You're not here to please everyone :)
    Regular users and mods alike are responsible for turning this forum from Feedback and Suggestions into Bickering and Suggestions. The problem is is that no individual is able to hold his hands up and apologise, I mean it's the internet ffs, 90% of users are twats (O.C.E.D. survey :D) but everyone takes comments to heart.
    Everyone finds someone who grinds them the wrong way. The larger the userbase gets, the more clashes are going to occur. Not much you can do about it really.

Problem is most new users or some eejits will be blunter back and then we have another flame war, surely more experienced boards users could try and rise above. There are too many last word types floating about these parts.
    Yep. crash and ZEN's exchange is a perfect example of my point.
    For the record i honestly didnt come into this intending to be as blunt as i seem to have come across, just got quite passionate on the subject.
    There's a fine line between passionate and flaming. Think before you post next time mmkay? :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

great idea!!!!! as a non-mod, can i mod the no-mods board????

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement