Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Joy for Wales

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think Wales ever really stood a chance of replacing Russia in the Championships, and I don't think they should have brought the case either.

The player has received punishment in the form of a ban.

If Russia had been kicked out of Euro 2004, it would have meant that teams like Manchester United would have to be kicked out of any competitions that Rio Ferdinand had played in in a Manchester United jersey this season, ie Premier League and Champions, now however tasty an option this may seem to some people, it is hardly ever going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Also, if Wales succeeded, i'd imagine Brian Kerr might try and argue that ireland were put out by Russia and demand we have a play-off with Wales to see who goes through to Portugal.
    It would be too messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by The_B_Man
    Also, if Wales succeeded, i'd imagine Brian Kerr might try and argue that ireland were put out by Russia and demand we have a play-off with Wales to see who goes through to Portugal.
    It would be too messy.
    No, the player failed the drug test after the first leg of Wales -v- Russia. The Russians knew about this but still played him in the second leg against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

that was not going to happen at this stage. ohh well there is always next time for Ireland and wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    No, the player failed the drug test after the first leg of Wales -v- Russia. The Russians knew about this but still played him in the second leg against Wales.

True but whos to say he wouldnt have failed after the 2 games against us? Bit of a stupid appeal imo, if they suceeded it was probably worth a shot from us, maybe a playoff between us??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

They hadnt a hope really. Waste of time and effort bringing it. Also the Rio Ferdinand case ...............all those games he played while appealing would have been worth no points and whoever they knocked out of the Champions league would have to be reinstated etc etc etc etc messy messy messy.
    Its only one player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I agree that Wales were never going to win the case. Regardless of whether they had a valid argument or not, FIFA were never going to set a legal precedent that could cause them serious problems in future. Every time a player in a domestic league was found to be in breach of drug legislation there'd be a half years worth of litigation from other teams trying to win the league/cup, get an european spot or avoid relegation.

Also, in my opinion steroids/stimulants are of limited usefulness to soccer players. A player might illigetimately gain some strength/speed from using them but soccer is ultimately about skill, speed of thought and concentration. Recreational drugs will probably only lessen performance.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    True but whos to say he wouldnt have failed after the 2 games against us? Bit of a stupid appeal imo, if they suceeded it was probably worth a shot from us, maybe a playoff between us??? ;)
    The thing is, the Russian FA only found out he was positive after the first leg of the Wales match so they couldn't do anything about previous matches. The FA didn't play Rio agianst Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally in one way I'm kinda glad Wales didn't qualify as their last six performances (2 draws + 4 defeats) indicated they would have been massacred had they made it to the finals. Actually, anyone who had seen their game v Italy in Milan would have wondered how they actually even managed to win their first 4 games in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

He was left on the bench anyway wasn't he?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    He was left on the bench anyway wasn't he?
    He came on at some time during the match, I don't know how long though it was long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He was an unused substitute in the first game, but nevertheless he was one of the two men selected for a drugs test. He failed the test but the result was not known until after the second leg.

He started the second leg, but was largely ineffective and taken off after 60 minutes. He was not drug tested after this game.

Advertisement