Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching web host advice

Options
  • 13-05-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, I registered a domain years ago, so the account (which i pay $8.25 a month for) is very bare on features, no sql etc.

Now I'm finally getting round to having a use for the site, I want to switch it to a decent irish hosting solution with sql etc.

Does anyone know what I do? The company in the US is interland; do i ring them 'cancel' then ring the new hosting company and they do some sort of switching of the dns or some such. I really don't understand enough about it as to know the best way to approach this.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

i use hosting365.ie
    and would recommend them.

steve from there floats around these boards
    so he'd be best person to ask about making 'the switch'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by dangerman
    do i ring them 'cancel' then ring the new hosting company and they do some sort of switching of the dns
    It's best not to cancel until you're set up on the new host first -- most hosts will give you a temporary hostname for testing while you're in transition. As to the actual transfer, the most important thing is the domain name, so is that with Interland or another provider? If you're not sure, post the domain name and we'll check it out for you.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You would need to ensure that you are the admin contact for the domain so that it can be cleanly transferred to your new provider. Depending on the registrar moving the domain can take anything from a day to a week.
    If you are still undecided about hosts the sticky in the former hosting board should be a good starting point.

HTH

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maryob1

When I was in London I had my site hostedby a company in the UK, when I came back home to Ireland I switched it to Irish Hostmasters, I found them in the Irish directory Anything Irish. All I had to do was change a setting on my domain name, their support give me all the details and even offered to do it for me. I find their support very good and it only cost me €76 and within a day or so my site was running on their server.

I can't knock them at all I'm very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Im sorry but recommendations for hosting companies from posters with one post is always suspicous ,whats your domain name?
    switched it to Irish Hostmasters, I found them in the Irish directory Anything Irish. All I had to do was change a setting on my domain name, their support give me all the details and even offered to do it for me. I find their support very good and it only cost me €76 and within a day or so my site was running on their server.

BTW there servers are in vancouver and €76 is alot of money for a hosting plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi dangerman,

Adam gives great advice, always ensure you have the new home set-up and everything in place before cancelling the old account, or you may end up with downtime.

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by maryob1
    When I was in London I had my site hostedby a company in the UK, when I came back home to Ireland I switched it to Irish Hostmasters, I found them in the Irish directory Anything Irish.
    Irishhostmasters.com seems to be registered to Anything Irish. But there is a more important aspect that you may not know about. Search engines tend to group Irish results by either .ie cctld or by Irish IP. If your site does not have an Irish IP, it will not be included in the 'pages from Ireland' results, especially if it does not have a .ie extension. From what I can see, irishhostmasters.com is hosted on netnation.com. Bottom line - if you are targeting Irish users, a .ie or hosting on an Irish IP range would be useful.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Alright lads, thanks for all the advice.

Looks like i just go choose an irish service (based on the sticky) tell them my plans, get it setup and then cancel the interland account.

I am the admin contact for the domain, so i can't see there's any problem.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

dangerman,
    id recommend blacknight... been dealing with them for a year now and service is great.

Advertisement