Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2000 only allowing me to view Desktop Directory

Options
  • 13-05-2004 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have just recently re-installed win2k on my machine. It worked finr for the last month, however, in the last few days its been giving me problems.

Whenever i open my computer, explorer, open directory in winamp, etc...... it goes straight to the desktop diectory.

When i click on another diectory, it just automatically goes back to the desktop

If anyone has a clue whats going on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

well it could be the backspace key on your keyboard is stuck , thereby bringing you back up through the directories (to which desktop is the highest level)

try a different keyboard, if that doesn't fix it then your looking at a software prob ,

hope this helps

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

When you reinstalled, dod you format between installations, or did you install over your previous installation?

If you did the latter, it may be this that's causing the corruption.

Also, you should check the integrity of the system files.
    From a command prompt, execute SFC /SCANNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

What file system are you using?

If its FAT32, sounds like your MFT may be corrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭schlaps

The back space works fine. I reformatted the drive before re installing windows and used ntfs format.

I turned it on the other day and it worked. For no reason what so ever.

I did nothing with it. It woulnt let me view any other directory for nearly a week and i just turned it on again to see if i could backup certain files before re installing and it worked.

Thanks to those that replied.

Advertisement