Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start eating healthy

• 13-05-2004 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

I browsed onto a website that tells you everything u need to know about each food. It has a Nutrients chart and how good the food is for you etc. It also gives lots of recipes.

www.whfoods.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

Don't you find it awfully difficult to eat healthy in Ireland??!!!
    It seems to me that most of the people don't even know the very basis of what is health here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

I have found it very difficult, thats why im sorting out my life now.

Im a terribly worrier and i panic alot. Since my grandmother died last year from a stroke i fell apart a bit and now i want to make sure that im eating the right foods so that i know at least im reducing the risk of things like strokes, heart attacks, cancer etc.

I just want to get healthy, and i agree Ireland is such a mess with all the advertising, 4 or 5 of the same fast food outlets. Ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We recently bought one of those Breville Anthony Worrall Thompson Health Grill's from Argos (cost appox 60 Euro). It can cook anything from Chicken to Sausages to patatoes. It drains all the fat away and food tastes excellent. I would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Grab a salad for lunch instead of sandwich - most shops/supermarkets witha deli do them fresh each day & you'd be amazed at the difference it makes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mosadit

Sometimes people think I am a freak just because I don't usually eat butter.... ok, I have it sometimes, but not every day!!

And when I just try to say that actually fries is not the best for your helath people look at me as I was saying that I am from another planet!:(
    I don't think to be exagerated about this... I don't follow any healtly food philosophy as a religion and I have my fries when it happens, but what make the difference is the general attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I don't eat butter at all, unless it's used in cooking or baking. I never put it on bread and everyone thinks it's weird. I hate the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

its tough enought to eat healthily in this country, i make an effort to avoid fast food, white bread, too much dairy and the like. only problem is the healthier stuff is harder to get and more expensive...especially if youre not living in or near a city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Avoiding sugar and refined starch is an absolute ****. Also it's very difficult and very expensive trying to get a decent amount of protein in your diet. Walk into your average food outlet, and it's all wheat, sugar, wheat, sugar, wheat sugar.

The stuff I would buy in a Spar/Centra if I was on the go:
    Bottle of water
    Piece of fruit
    Can of tuna (I know, it's not exactly delecance, but at least it's protein, the fruit won't keep you filled up).

And that's about it, everything else in there is seriously unhealthy, although I might plump for the sandwich on brown bread (I'm not even sure if it's wholewheat they use) occasionally.

Thank god for O'Brien's food outlets, although their salads are pretty mank. Oh and Subway seem pretty good.

I guess we can do as best we can to give our business to places that have healthy food. Dublin is a lot better for this than Cork I find, a lot more coffee shops serving a variety of sandwiches etc.

I love the IFI in Dublin, they serve real chips (as in potatoes sliced with the skins still on them, and fried as is). The skin makes a good deal of difference in making the potato a healthy food (provides fibre, vitamins and minerals).

And Irish people definitely have a very poor attitude when it comes to health. At least the advent of the Atkins diet is having some effect on people's attitudes towards alcohol and sugar. Although the beer companies are now fighting back with "low-carb" beers and wines. Low-carb beer/wine? There's no such thing! To be low-carb, it can't have any alcohol in it! And even non-alcoholic beer contains roughly the same number of carbs as the alcohol is replaced with sugar.

thanks stark,
    fruit and veg is the wave of the future. am also thinkin of giving up drinking to cut out unnecessary and empty carbohydrates and calories. dont drink that much now, but could always cut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Switch to clear spirits for your tipple of choice. Zerp carb in a shot of gin for instance. Team with slimline tonic for a drink with zero carb.

definitely the best way to eat healthier is to cut out processed/refined foods of any form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭imirish

Originally posted by daveg
    We recently bought one of those Breville Anthony Worrall Thompson Health Grill's from Argos (cost appox 60 Euro). It can cook anything from Chicken to Sausages to patatoes. It drains all the fat away and food tastes excellent. I would highly recommend.

is this the same as the george foreman cause the george foreman is GREAT

Originally posted by dudara
    Switch to clear spirits for your tipple of choice. Zerp carb in a shot of gin for instance. Team with slimline tonic for a drink with zero carb.

definitely the best way to eat healthier is to cut out processed/refined foods of any form.

thanks dudara, once i get some cash its gin & slim all the way. am quite a fan of gin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got a George Foreman, dont use it much these days as i dont cook anything that has any fat to drain away :D I was restricted to a non-red meat diet for health reasons which left me with Pork or Chicken :D Anyway i finally decided to cut out meat all together except for some fish. Im mostly vegetarian but i will have some salmon or Tuna or white fish like Cod (Hoki is better).
    So i eat healthy.. i think i get enough Protein but its hard to tell. I feel fantastic though with what i do eat.
    I find the best place for a salad role is Mace, its the cheapest and they have the best stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I like to get a salad in Dunnes... generally go into the one on North Earl Street off o' connell st. I quite like them, they've got a nice selection and it's all laid out there. You weigh it yourself. I have plenty of Olives & Beans for good fats on top which produce a satisfaction inducing chemical in the stomach and slow down the breakdown of carbs.

I remember passing by a place around Temple bar a couple of months ago and they just did salads, they had organic apples also at the entrance. Didn't actually go in as i'd already been to Dunnes. Went back to look for it and couldn't find it.. anyone got any ideas what it could've been.. looked real nice? (no it wasn't o' briens ;) )

In Spar the salad is usually quite dry and bland and they look at you funny when you ask for a little of alot..
    The only other thing I get in Spar on the go is Cashew nuts. Banannas are too sugary (give me acne), broke my two front teeth as a kid, so they aren't upto peeling & biting into apples on the go (have to cut 'em up at home) and oranges just make too much of a mess!

Of course when I'm at home I eat loads of green veg, current fave is Pac Choi. Love doing a stew with brocolli, mushrooms, tomatoes, leek, lentils, olive oil and a bit of whatever vegtables are in sight and some herbs/vegan boullion for added flavour.

Ate out tonight in a chinese down in Ashford on the way home to Dublin.. got a yummy meal with veggie Spring roles, veg curry and a side portion of different veg. There were green beans & bean sprot as well as other crunchy greens... My god was it nice.. the spice just added to it. mmmm!

Advertisement