Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE radio one discussion on Chinese Premier too lenient?

• 13-05-2004 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anyone heard it there a couple of days ago. Pat Kenny was discussing the current state of China with a Times reporter who had been there. Most of the interview was well balanced. Hoever when it got to controversial issues like Taiwan and China's human rights record, they just simply skirted them. Hardly a word of criticism. Pat asked about the current state of Taiwanese relations. The response was that China is maintaining its current position and that was it! The falun gong were maded to seem like a 11 million group that was "mobilising". This according to the reporter caused the government to get "scared". It was almost a justification for the crackdown on them. On the whole, the emphasis was completely on the stunning growth being enjoyed by China with barely any discussion on anything controversial. It seemed a right cop out to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Western governments nowadays couldn't care less about human-rights violations in a country unless it is oil-rich or small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I see your point. I was more on about the difference in tone and questions than an interview about say the current state of the US. The interview just seemed strange in skirting anything controversial to do with China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I think that reflects a certain anti-Americanism in the journalistic elites of our country. As China is viewed as a possible counterbalance to the US in global affairs, hence much of our media is reluctant to criticise them too much.

Advertisement