Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toy you always wanted but didnt get

• 13-05-2004 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

when i was growing up there was no shortage of toys in our house, because i have two older sisters. however there was one toy that i always wanted but my parents never got for me. it was one of those car things from fisher price (see attachment)

so what was the one toy you always wanted but never got?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It was a plastic turtle thing with legs that would move. You could put it in the pool/bath and it would swim away. Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Boy did their legs kick when I grew up and held them in the pool".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

one of those slides that had a tent at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I had that car!!!

I always wanted the real Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles blimp myself, and the truck.

I had to settle for ones I made with shoeboxes. A balloon and a shoebox makes a pretty crap turtle blimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

the mountain base for 'Mask' still don't talk to my parents over it !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Boulder Mountain wasnt it called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I wanted one of these but never got it.

http://www.swiftsite.com/minibike/menu.htm

thats the one.... probably the coolest thing ever.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My cousin had one of those cars, it was a deathtrap. Or at least it was when you're hurtling down big hills in it. Luckily the plastic absorbed most of the impact, which almost compensated for the fact that when it did fall sideways, it invariably trapped one of the more important appendages between itself and the speeding ground.

I wanted a proper wendy house, not that crap red and yellow thing that blew away in the wind. I wanted one of the Fisher Price ones, with window shutters. I also wanted all the Jurrasic Park toys....the compound, the sh*t cool green jeep, the big T Rex my friend got that I've never seen anywhere else...I wanted all that stuff. I saved up and got Alan Grant (Which looked less like Sam Neill than I do, btw) and then Toymaster stopped selling them. Argh!

a hopper............. remember those things ? A football wedged into a oversized plastic washer.............. many a broken tooth over those yokes....

A wendy house ?! you can still get them they are around €250,000 for a one bed one in dublin......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

not strictly a toy, but something i reeeeally really wanted when i was a kid, and didn't get was a pair of magic steps. y'know, the shoes that every girl in the country got for her communion; they were white t-bar shoes with a gold key in the sole, and the ad for them had this girl in a labyrinth-y fantasy setting being chased by an evil wizard or witch or summat, and she's climbing up these loose rocks, but she's saved from falling by her magic steps. oh, i wanted them more than anything, but i couldn't get them for my communion, because they only went up as far as size 1, and my feet were size 2! sob! sniffle! i was inconsolable....

I got Magic Steps and not only did they leave my feet in a wierd shape, I was highly disappointed that they actually didn't do anything other than be shoes. I wanted magic shoes and I was cheated, damn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

A Transformer. Any bloody one. Never happened.

My brother got one though.

Ouch!!! Do you bring that up at every opportunity, because I know I would...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I always wanted a chemistry set but never got one :(

Also some decent transformers like the other kids had. All my parents got me was a tiny Volkswagen Beetle one!

i still have a load of transformers.

up in the attic getting dusted up optimus was my favourite

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wanted Screwball Scramble.
    I also wanted some of those massive space lego sets that cost over a hundred quid (I think it was a train station one in space).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

good to see im not the only one! :D

when i asked for the car the first time i got a poxy LO-LO BALL!!! ya know those things that look like saturn (thats the planet with the rings around it???) and all u did was stand on the thingy and jump up and down! could never do it. hated that poxy thing!

This thread is making me very bitter...:D ...Oh, I would have loved one of the lego medieval castles...I did ask, but I just got the wierd little outhouse with the ghost in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Always wanted the Ghostbuster firestation, it looked so damn cool! Never got it though :mad:

Oh, and those Moon Shoes, dunno if anyone remembers them. They were sposda make ya bounce like ya were on the moon. They looked fun, but they were probably crap. Yeah, I'm glad I never got them......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Boulder Hill was top of my list in '86. I literally cried boulders when all i got was the truck. Forget the name of it.
    I also really wanted those A team figures but alas...:(

There was lots of G.I Joe stuff that I never got aswell. I remember how you'd get a big fold-out sheet with all the new figures and vehicles, and some would say 'U.S Only'...that would REALLY piss me off! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

I always wanted one of those little oven thingys, can't remember their name.

My friend had one and they would take about three days or something to cook a few buns. :D It was practically just a lightbulb that did the cooking but my parents said my brother would burn himself. (He never was the sharpest tool in the box and he always wanted whatever I had :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Auburn
    but my parents said my brother would burn himself. (He never was the sharpest tool in the box and he always wanted whatever I had :rolleyes: ).

LOL - that's so funny.

My bane was an AT-AT (or Walker) from Star Wars, and the little sh1t next door had one to just to make it worse. I ended up making one out of cardboard FFS.

But whats worse - a few years ago walking past Forbidden Planet and they were selling them (pretty expensive) - and I seriously considered buying one - just to heal my dysfunction :D

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i wanted a Tomy Tronic 3D
    the one that had the big ships from Tron, never got it, got a Star Wars board game instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Myself and cousin where the same.. we always wanted remote control cars so we could race them... except we kept getting barbies

so we put them in slippers and pretended they where cars!

then one year I got a barbie ferrari ... but it wasn't the same... it wasn't battery powered.... didn't move

still... it was cooler than the slippers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I wanted a Raleigh Chopper, it wasn't fair, Raymond Brown up the road got one and they wouldn't buy me one, the feckers. I had to be happy with a bike with training wheels. The humiliation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Fudger
    the mountain base for 'Mask' still don't talk to my parents over it !!!!!!!!!

I too wanted Boulder Mountain soo badly, but no dice.
    Wanted Castle Greyskull too, not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by pork99
    I wanted a Raleigh Chopper, it wasn't fair, Raymond Brown up the road got one and they wouldn't buy me one, the feckers. I had to be happy with a bike with training wheels. The humiliation :(

Buy one now. They got re-released. :D

300 beans though! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1982/c82eut/c82eut-06.jpg

Not much to look at now I'll admit, but I remember being amazed by it as a nipper. Seem to remember it costing a packet too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I always wanted A Mr Frosty ice drinks maker... and never did get one... sniffle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I wanted a Raleigh Chopper, it wasn't fair, Raymond Brown up the road got one and they wouldn't buy me one, the feckers. I had to be happy with a bike with training wheels. The humiliation

Amen brother, me too. I saw a kid on one the other day and they've taken away the old gear lever, sort of spoiled it for me !

Hey draupnir - if you lend me your Transformers you can play with my TMNT stuff - at least till me Ma gets home !!:D

ZEN

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Wanted Castle Greyskull too, not a chance.
    I got Castle Greyskull HAHAHA! And it was GREAT! It was the best toy EVER.

I even have pictures of me playing with it - want me to scan them in and make you feel sad whilst simultaneously humilitating me for all eternity? (or should that be Eternia!) :D

I got Castle Greyskull HAHAHA! And it was GREAT! It was the best toy EVER.

Snake Mountain was much more fun, but better yet was the two of them together :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

For some reason, I remember one Christmas asking for a Matchbox toy security van, that came complete with a trolley carrying "gold bars", and had a little combination lock on the rear door.

I basically would go through the entire Matchbox catalog and ask for half of it.

I still remember it....It was a Group 4 Security Truck.

I suppose it's not going to turn up now, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I was a spoilt little b@stard when I was a kid, so I normally got whatever I wanted, except one christmas I wanted a black BMX [jet black - everything on it was black], but Santa screwed up & gave me a silver 1 :mad: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

A Raleigh Vektor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Originally posted by Rockiemalt
    I always wanted A Mr Frosty ice drinks maker... and never did get one... sniffle..

My sister had one - it wasn't all it was cracked up to be!

I always wanted a Sindy house ... that was my big dream.
    Also a petite 990 type writer.
    One of those kitchen things with the pots and pans and rubber food.

I had one of the lo-lo balls but burst it on broken glass the day I got it .... :(

900.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

OOOOhhh, a Raleigh Vektor!!

What the hell was that? The name has set something off in my head. I didn't have one, but I'm sure a friend did, and I coveted it!

Did it have buttons and switches and sound effects or some such codswallop.

Jesus, a Raleigh Vektor....I'm off to do a Google image search right now. Sod work!, This is more important!!:eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was something like this. A jeep though and could sit two. :D
    ba198gxn.jpg

Bet you wish you'd given me one know! bwa ha ha. *Throws mother into wheelbarrow and runs to nearest unheated old folks home* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

great thread idea:D . I wanted a Big Wheel when I was 3 or 4 and never got one

I can relate to the AT-AT Walker (strictly limited to kids whose dads were bribing them not to tell mommy 'our little secret') and the Chopper. My old man brought me to a market out by Smithfield when I was 6(about 1980), and there was some knacker there with literally a pile of bikes on a trailer. There was an orange Chopper or Geronimo(smaller but similar) there and he wanted 13 for that, but the old man wouldn;t budge and got me some sham bike for 9. Then he put a mental 'home burger' chopper-type saddle on it and sent me on my way, oh the pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by brocklanders
    but the old man wouldn;t budge and got me some sham bike for 9. Then he put a mental 'home burger' chopper-type saddle on it and sent me on my way, oh the pain!

lol :D:D .. i think our da's are related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

The Vektor was the bmx with the digital readout yoke between your knees on the bar. I sooo wanted one, but like most families in the 80s we were piss poor. So I had to borrow my mates bikes for 10 minutes at a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by brocklanders
    Chopper or Geronimo(smaller but similar)

Geronimo - should that not be a "Tomahawk"? I had one, smaller, similar - but no damn gears :(

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wanted a Nintendo 64 3 years in a row. Never got it because we already had a PS1 in the house. Finally bought one 5 months ago... ffs i had a GC before an N64:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bluedog

I REALLY wanted a ghostbustr's backpack gun thingy that shot out foam bullets and I had been asking for it for ages so my mom said she would get it one day when she went shopping but there was none there (in truth it was about 60quid) so i was given a plastic axe and shield instead...................................it still hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by Kersh
    The Vektor was the bmx with the digital readout yoke between your knees on the bar.

Oh yeah I remember those. One of the kids in school had one. Bit gimmicky though. Had my raleigh burner (bmx) instead. Those things were indistructable. Used to cycle down the estate and hop off the bike to watch it hurtling down the road only to smash in to the wall. Needless to say, the bike could not be damaged not matter how hard you tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Originally posted by TinCool
    Used to cycle down the estate and hop off the bike to watch it hurtling down the road only to smash in to the wall.

haha we used to do that too. i'll never forget the day my mates little sister wanted to try it. she got on the bike and went flying down the hill but didnt jump off and went flying over the wall! it was hilarious. we all kinda stood there for a second and then we thought we'd better check on her. she said she was fine........until i pointed out the blood pumping from her forehead. the scream that followed was heard all over the estate! :D ah those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

A blonde Sindy doll - my mother was at the cutting edge of all the PC crap that goes on and insisted that I had a black haired one, she told me blonde ones were "common" - I've been scared for life! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah you shouldn't be complaining about not having Boulder Mountain, it wasn't really that great . It was pretty basic and the so-called garage was far too small for any of the MASK vehicles to fit in.

I also had the Turtles Blimp, now that was great fun, though I never could manage to get all four Turtles to stay on it at a time.

All I can remember never getting(that I wanted really badly) as a kid was a Megadrive :( and a MASK vehicle called Volcano(I think it was a purple monster-truck that kinda rose up and came apart in the middle)

• Advertisement
Advertisement