Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toy you always wanted but didnt get

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Originally posted by aerialhead
    OOOOhhh, a Raleigh Vektor!!

What the hell was that? The name has set something off in my head. I didn't have one, but I'm sure a friend did, and I coveted it!

Did it have buttons and switches and sound effects or some such codswallop.

anyone remember the 'siren' that you could get for your bike around the start of the 80's? They were huge. That was one that the old man didn't let me down on, I got it for my 6th birthday. It was basically a yellow speaker with 3 settings - police, fire brigade and ambulance, and you set it off with a small red button.

Dazberry, I stand corrected, the bike was a Tomahawk. What was the name of the make? They made a couple of other weird bikes - I remember another that was basically a normal kids bike but it had a longer saddle that would nearly fit 2 on it. And if I remember rightly, they had the ultimate in braking - pedal back brakes. Man, my bike had pedal backs as well, pure class. We had a hill on our estate that led down to a field. If it was wet you could get near speedway standard slides(well it felt like that anyway!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

MB-BigTrak.jpg

i so wanted one of these as well
    you entered in instructions and it would follow the route you punched in, a trailer then was released for it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

OOOhhh! Big Trak....

It probably was crap, at least I like to think so, because I didn't get one.

I bet it was REALLY difficult to programme it to go into the kitchen and get an apple like they did in the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

This thread is just getting to much - memories ...
    Originally posted by brocklanders
    anyone remember the 'siren' that you could get for your bike around the start of the 80's? They were huge. That was one that the old man didn't let me down on, I got it for my 6th birthday. It was basically a yellow speaker with 3 settings - police, fire brigade and ambulance, and you set it off with a small red button.
    I remember being facinated by them, some guy around our way had one, and it was amazing - for a week - until the batteries ran out and then it was an ornament.

Dazberry, I stand corrected, the bike was a Tomahawk. What was the name of the make?
    Raleigh AFAIR.

I remember another that was basically a normal kids bike but it had a longer saddle that would nearly fit 2 on it. And if I remember rightly, they had the ultimate in braking - pedal back brakes. Man, my bike had pedal backs as well, pure class. We had a hill on our estate...
    Reading your first post (6 in 1980) - me being 8/9 in 1980 you seem to remember it the way I did. I think I know the one your talking about - and I remember the pedal back brakes well. The thing is that around my way, a lot of kids had sh1t bikes, but they were bikes none the less, and often hand-me-downs, with mad mismatched saddles, "covered in old airliner stickers and broken reflectors" (I feel a song coming on :D). And if you didn't have a bike (or were too good to use you sisters bike) - you'd just run everywhere instead.

My worst bike embarrasment was my first BMX. I really wanted one 'cos all my mates had them, but my 'ol lad was always one to try get things on the cheap (for example our "back boiler" had to be done 3 times because of the cowboys that did it - one being my uncle - house could have exploded). Thing is, like the heating, it would have been ultimately cheaper if he'd have got it done right the first time - my cousin sold him a chromed down basic Raleigh BMX with Skyway sticker and tractor tires for a song. That was fine for a day or two until I met all the BMXers - fook did I get a slagging - it was ugly. I don't know what was worse, the saddle or the huge tire on the front - it did have tuffs though :)

On the bike / hill thing, I grew up in Raheny, so anyone who knows that general area will know Raheny hill. Man that was fun. In the BMX days, I'd either by standing on the frame (under the saddle) and the front forks (on the front breaks) and speed down the hill - standing, or sit over/on the handlebars with nothing to steer but my rear end - how I didn't kill myself I'll never know.

D.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Kersh
    A Raleigh Vektor.

Ah I remember them! I wanted one of those too with the onboard radio and stuff! Glad now I didnt get one as in hindsight, they looked terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Freak

Wanted a BMX myself but had to settle for a Raleigh Grifter. Wasn't so bad after a while but that was more because I was a crazy ba***rd and almost died once a week (not much has changed really)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

The one and only...

msk_toy_rhi.jpg

Rhino! That toy really had it all, missles to put your eyes out with and a spring loaded radiator grill for damaging the skirting board, brilliant stuff!

JetFire was another no-show on christmas morning, I hear they're worth a fortune on ebay now :)

favtoy-transformers-jetfire.jpg

One toy I did manage to get my hands on was the M.A.N.T.A base ship. MANTA was a short lived toy line from around the late 80s I think. I don't remember any companion cartoon series but it did have somthing to do with breakfast cereals :/

Anyway this thing was a the business; it resembled a stretched out star destroyer, the top part came off (like the saucer section on the enterprise D) to reveal a hanger bay full of fighter craft plus ground and water assault vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I really wanted the Sylvanian families treehouse when I was a kid. It was the biz, loads of living space for all the Sylvanians. My cousin had it, which made me want it even more, but I never got it. When I grew up a little I wanted the Barbie jeep & horse-box, with matching show-pony & fancy jods & boots for Barbie, but I never got that either!! :( AH well, life goes on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Hecate
    One toy I did manage to get my hands on was the M.A.N.T.A base ship. MANTA was a short lived toy line from around the late 80s I think. I don't remember any companion cartoon series but it did have somthing to do with breakfast cereals :/

Anyway this thing was a the business; it resembled a stretched out star destroyer, the top part came off (like the saucer section on the enterprise D) to reveal a hanger bay full of fighter craft plus ground and water assault vehicles.

Ta for mentioning the word 'manta' (the toy-range itself was actually called MANTA FORCE as it turns out). I'd been trying for ages now to remember what that spaceship was called in order to locate a decent website about it.

http://www.mantaforce.co.uk/manta.html

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

The Strawberry shortcake stuffed babydoll that when you sqeezed it produced a smell of strawberries from her mouth...there was an entire line, each doll had a different scent, I wanted strawberry and lemon, never got either but my neighbors had them I had other stuff like the suspenders, wallet, watch and halloween costume :)
    I still wish I had that doll, especially since its coming back, maybe they will bring the doll back too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

Originally posted by Hecate
    The one and only...

msk_toy_rhi.jpg

Rhino! That toy really had it all, missles to put your eyes out with and a spring loaded radiator grill for damaging the skirting board, brilliant stuff!

JetFire was another no-show on christmas morning, I hear they're worth a fortune on ebay now :)

favtoy-transformers-jetfire.jpg

snap
    and snap
    and I had the falcon too, and a sh*t load of star wars men

but I wanted a Dinosaur :mad: :mad: cos I had this book where the boy won a Dinosaur for a day competition and got....a real dinosaur for a day, they even saved the people who got stuck on the rollercoaster:cool:

but my uncle said that the cat wouldn't like it so we couldn't get one

to make peace mum got me snarl, one of the dinobots.....

didn't work, I hated that cat for at least ten days later!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

one of those black bikes that had the digital display and made all cool futuristic noises...

i cant remember what they were called i think it had wolf in it...

(p.s. I'm not too sure but... I think it could fly too)

/edit just after reading some of the previous posts...

its good to know I'm not the only one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

All the memories are flooding back! Manta Force! Wow, I forgot all about those until now. One of my friends had the Red Venom http://www.mantaforce.co.uk/venom.html and after playing with it for a little when at a friends house I wanted it so badly. I remember dropping so many hints and pleading vigourously but I never awoke to find it under my Christmas tree. Another toy I wanted was a Sega Megadrive back when all my friends were getting them for Christmas, I got a Commodore C64 instead, it was still a step up from my Atari 2600 (yes, when friends came over to my house they'd laugh at my Atari 2600!).

Man, times were harsh back in the late 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Nintendo.
    The original NES.
    Wanted one so bad for chrimbo but never got it, instead my father listened to the guy in teh shop and i wound up with an Amiga. Now not saying the Amiga wasn't great, but when i first saw it i was kinda "Wtf is this?" as at that age computers were giant sliver things with flashy lights and took up whole rooms.

I still believe to this day that had my dad gotten me a NES i would have ended up like the other normies and possibly gotten into accounting or Law or something boring and lateral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

Originally posted by Rockiemalt
    I always wanted A Mr Frosty ice drinks maker... and never did get one... sniffle..

You weren't the only one. :confused:
    My mother said I wouldn't like the taste of flavoured ice, but I'm certain I would've given the chance. :ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    Another toy I wanted was a Sega Megadrive back when all my friends were getting them for Christmas, I got a Commodore C64 instead, it was still a step up from my Atari 2600 (yes, when friends came over to my house they'd laugh at my Atari 2600!).

Man, times were harsh back in the late 80's.

Oh, the sad memories that conjures up...

My friends were getting Spectrum 64's, while all I could afford was a ZX Spectrum, which boasted an entire 1K of memory, if I'm not mistaken. After careful thought, I didn't bother.
    Though I do remember lying to other kids when I was in first year that I had an Atari Games System (in reality all I had was a catalogue of the games).

Now, my room is full of gadgets and stuff - I just bought DRIV3R. Funny how things change, though you don't see that when you are 12 or 13 years old...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by aerialhead
    My friends were getting Spectrum 64's, while all I could afford was a ZX Spectrum, which boasted an entire 1K of memory, if I'm not mistaken. After careful thought, I didn't bother.
    Sure you don't mean that your friends were getting Commodore 64s and that you could only get a ZX Spectrum (which, the model out at that time, would have had 48k)? Anyway, we all know that in Speccie vs Commodore, the Speccie wins hands down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes, yes it does.

I had a Spectrum +3 with *gasp* floppy disk drive, easily beats the Commodore.

My Bad!

I meant the Spectrum 128 K. Oh, the neglected childhood!

Though I remember hours on my cousin's Commodore 64 playing the dubiously titled "Wheelin' Wally".

Anyone remember Zaxxon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Rockiemalt
    I always wanted A Mr Frosty ice drinks maker... and never did get one... sniffle..

Same as me. they looked so cool on the ads. I used to spend ages after the ads was shown dropping hints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I always wanted a Barcode Battler,it had an LCD screen and was handheld, all you had to do was pass any barcode through it for a differant game coooooool. Never got one though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Animal and Animal Swamper.
    Animal was a truck with claws came out of the tires- the ads made them look really kick ass. Animal Swamper was the shiznit tho- claws came out of its tires too, but this yoke could float on water! Altogether... WOW

Of course I never did get one, best I could do was try and get my Fall Guy truck to do the same thing- well, it kinda looked like the Fall Guy's truck, so I thought maybe I could get to go on water. See you pulled the string and you made the engine faster then you pushed a button and off it went. It was a kick ass truck but no Animal Swamper. I spent about a half hour charging the damn thing and let it go in the bath thinking I'd built up a 1/2 hours worth of speed on it- thing sunk to the bottom of the bath and never worked again.

Now that I think of it the same company made this yoke that was like a truck thing with 20-odd wheels, it was supposed to be able to climb over EVERYTHING and there was another one with its own bridge so it could cross ****- you know when you see these things up close they really, actually, look incredibly **** and small and brittle but the ads make them look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    Animal and Animal Swamper.
    Animal was a truck with claws came out of the tires- the ads made them look really kick ass.......
    Now that I think of it the same company made this yoke that was like a truck thing with 20-odd wheels, it was supposed to be able to climb over EVERYTHING and there was another one with its own bridge so it could cross ****- you know when you see these things up close they really, actually, look incredibly **** and small and brittle but the ads make them look great.

"Rough Riders! 4x4 you can try to stop them!!" was something similar for me. Stompers and rough riders were these ...little...battery powered trucks that were shown goin over every terrain a boyhood-ideal backgarden could put in their way! rrawrr!!

wanted one so bad, then one of the neighbours got one, and it looked.....less than impressive..........and couldn't handle a twig!!!
    then naturally some other truck or other was advertised on telly and we all wanted that one.

probably one of the ones the beer baron mentions above......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wanted all the cool Transformers you couldnt get over here :( Trypticon, Fortress Maximus etc... still, had a load of others - Optimus (and Rodimus), Megatron (apparently very controversial in the US cause of his realistic gun mode), Galvatron, the Decepticon jets, Soundwave, the Stunticons, Aerialbots etc etc

Kinda wish I'd held on to them now - that and my original Star Wars ships and figures (before they got downsized and cheap)

Hands up who thought the Decepticons were FAR cooler!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ah memories I too wanted a transformer.. megatron to be precise coz he'd turn into the gun. I remember one day my uncle coming up to the house and saying he had a transformer for me. I was delighted until I found that it was a black box.... an electric transformer!! I was disgusted.

I remember having that haunted ghost house game that u had to set up. Id always get knocked over by the stupid skeleton!!

Had tons of lego. Still have in the attic!! Oh and tonka toys too!! So strong that I could sit on the tonka truck and ride on it down the driveway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

i cannot beleive someone said the bigtrak was maybe crap it was truly brilliant mine was broke by my brother u programed it to drive down stairs i even brought it up in a argument last week, but nothing will ever take away the pain of not getting my ghostbuster station the christmas was **** the whole day i sat in my room with a ****ty marshmellow man.
    Brock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i wanted one of them Supersoaker 5000s :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I have to say congrats to Peachypants for starting this thread as it has brought up a rake of memories(most of them very bitter :D ) for me and anyone else I have shown it to, and judging by the amount of replies, a lot of users as well. Most of us are now probably acting that bit cooler with our old dears, I must remember to read this before xmas!!!!

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I wanted all the cool Transformers you couldnt get over here :( Trypticon, Fortress Maximus etc... still, had a load of others - Optimus (and Rodimus), Megatron (apparently very controversial in the US cause of his realistic gun mode), Galvatron, the Decepticon jets, Soundwave, the Stunticons, Aerialbots etc etc

Kinda wish I'd held on to them now - that and my original Star Wars ships and figures (before they got downsized and cheap)
    :)

Kaiser2000,or should I say Ricky Schroeder, you have no place here! Next we'll hear how you only got to be on the Late Late Toy Show twice!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I wanted one of those doll head things whose hair and makeup you could do but my parents told me it was pointless and didn't do anything and what did a girl who played with dinkies and climbed trees want with a makeup doll. My younger sister got one. I blame the psycological scarring for my hatered of pink, and mylack of interest in makeup or fashion.

I wanted one of those hopper things that were like a balloon with ears too, in fact I still want one! Saw one at oxygen, I wonder where I could get one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Cucullan wrote:
    I always wanted a Barcode Battler,it had an LCD screen and was handheld, all you had to do was pass any barcode through it for a differant game coooooool. Never got one though :(

Dear God that was the sh**! I still want one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Johnny Seven - I'd buy one now

Johnny Seven - One Man Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You know those Mr. Frosty things that I think Fisher Price made? You put ice nd stuff in and turned a handle and got a slush puppy.... Literally every Christmas (which was also my bday) for 5 in a row I asked for it and Santa 'forgot' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Seriously. What the fuck was Santa's problem with Mr. Frosty?

Possibly the fact I don't like slush puppies and only wanted to turn the handle thing lol. Still wanted it tho!!!

We should start a poll. "How many of you asked for a Mr. Frosty you didn't get?"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

I remember seeing this gun set in a catelogue that my mom used to get. It was a suitcase that held the gun and the gun came in different pieces so you could put it together hitman style. I never got it because after 3 years of asking for it, the year my mom finally caved the cat. didn't do it anymore :(

Oh well so is life

Sam

Okay, so it's not exactly a toy, but all this talk about Mr Frosty remind me of it.

A friend down the road had one in the 80's and it looked cool - though they would never make me one, saying they hadn't enought gas or something - the scabs!

My fiance is demanding that we get one soon...

Soda Streams were the devils flatulance. They made wierd noises and produced horrible, horrible drinks. You could make like three bottles of fizzy water and then you needed a new can of gas. Plus, the little brown handle on the side took a massive lump out of my hand, and now I have a stupid, soda stream induced scar. I tell people I got it by falling off my bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brikelly

This talk of Raleighs got me searching for pics of the old classics that I never owned...here they are, from [url]www.raleighbikes.com:[/url]

Chopper
    hist_side_22.jpg

Grifter
    hist_side_23.jpg

Burner
    hist_side_25.jpg

Vektar
    hist_side_26.jpg

Now to eBay to see if I can buy 'em...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

That Vektar still looks pretty cool! I always wanted an Action Man Jeep but alas it was not to be.

Soda Streams were the devils flatulance. They made wierd noises and produced horrible, horrible drinks. You could make like three bottles of fizzy water and then you needed a new can of gas. Plus, the little brown handle on the side took a massive lump out of my hand, and now I have a stupid, soda stream induced scar. I tell people I got it by falling off my bike.

noooo soda streams were lovely! We had one when I was about 8. Yes they made weird noises but the drinks were cool, and I loved the way they were in those glass bottles so you felt all grown up and special :) Pure sugar though lol

Advertisement