Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-link DSL-G604T router signal bad

• 13-05-2004 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I recently bought this router and have setup everything according to the quick installation guide. It was easy enough to setup although I'm having problems playing games online, I guess that has to do with openning ports etc. and I don't have a clue about that. Anyways, I have an Air Plus X Xtreme G DWL-G520 PCI Adapter hooked up to my sons pc in his room. The distance from my pc is approx. 25-30 feet and two walls seperating the two pc's.

I'm running XP on one machine and ME and the other, everything seems to be running smoothly except for one major issue. The signal quality is really bad, it barely reaches 30-40%. Browsing is slower and download speeds are less than half.

Now I don't know where the problem lies, if its the router or the pci adapter.

I hope there is a work around this otherwise I will return the objects and get the Netgear product.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Is it only on your sons machine that the problem exists?

Do you have problems playing games online on your main PC ?

Don't go changing one set of wireless product for another until you have established exactly where the problem lies.

Suggestion: bring your sons PC into the same room as your wireless router and check what sort of signal you get and what your throughput is like. If it's good, then you have a problem with distance/noise, combination of both. It can help if you position both the router and get an antenna attachment for the wireless pci card which allows you to move the antenna to a different position without moving the PC.

just some pointers for you, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have you got any other equipment that might be causing interference eg digital cordless phone or videosender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cecco

I have a cordless digital phone near pc, I got rid of it but signal barely improved. I read in another place that replacing the antenna on the pci card could improve signal alot cause the one on the d-link sucks. I don't know if this is true or not.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement