Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.net/music club

• 13-05-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Just want to know has anyone used this site for music...and what they think??Music Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭d4

So i take it that no one has used this yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Good find, but I think €1.39 is a bit expensive, it's nearly twice the price of iTunes, I think i'll wait 'till iTunes is released this side of the atlantic.

I thought itunes was working everywhere??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

That Eircom site seems really slow?? maybe i'm just on it at a bad time.

working grand on broadbrand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by d4
    I thought itunes was working everywhere??
    Nope.. Just The U.S at the moment and possibly a few of the America's. iTunes Europe is planned for the fourth quater of 2004 or the first quater of 2005.

By the way when I say iTunes I'm referring to the Music store not the software, which will of course work wherever you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bit crap the way u have to load the page in internet explorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh and just looking at the price of an album of me favourite band

Weezer - Blue Album Eircom €13.90

Weezer - Blue Album Play.com €11.50

cheaper to buy from england with free shipping plus you get proper cd and proper casing and the lot, if you don't mind 5 day delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Seems to be using the same back end as the mycokemusic site uses. Cue loads of issues for users with DRM licencing under Windows Media when trying to stream full songs...

viking

EDIT: oh sweet Jesus

The Eminem Show "BUY € 27,80"!!!!

Ahh HAHA

Now that cracked me up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Good find,

LOL

You're kidding right? That scheme has to be one of the biggest rip-off's Eircom have ever instigated. A lot of the downloads on offer are actually more expensive than to buy in shops, here in Ireland! I paid €11 for Then and Now by Asia in Virgin, Eircom are charging €12.49! Not only that but you get a crappy digital version with quality about ten times less than that of the CD on wma file format that's not even supported by all hardware! To top things off, since the vast majority of us are on 56k, by the time we've downloaded the album, the total cost will be probably twice the cost of an original CD!

When I clicked to view the price of a N.E.R.D album I got . . .

'Error - Page not Found - we apologise for the inconvenience.

Please close your internet browser and try again. '

It sums up the crap that you're dealing with tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can't believe the prices people pay for subscription based mp3 services.

I use www.emusic.com for all my legal downloads. $10 a month for 40 downloads with no restrictions on use.

So far I've picked up Pixies, Pavement, Jets To Brazil, Explosions In The Sky, NOFX, Mclusky, Converge, Promise Ring among many others.

Works out at about €8.50 a month at the moment, for 40 downloads.

I can't believe the prices people pay for subscription based mp3 services.

I use www.emusic.com for all my legal downloads. $10 a month for 40 downloads with no restrictions on use.

So far I've picked up Pixies, Pavement, Jets To Brazil, Explosions In The Sky, NOFX, Mclusky, Converge, Promise Ring among many others.

Works out at about €8.50 a month at the moment, for 40 downloads.

I set up an account there and its pretty poor.Alot of old folks music :)

Originally posted by d4
    I set up an account there and its pretty poor.Alot of old folks music :)

:rolleyes:

You are lad12!!!

Know many OAPs listen to Converge?

Bands/artists I've downloaded off it so far:

50 Cent
    Aereogramme
    At The Drive-In
    Bad Brains
    Boy Sets Fire
    Brand New
    Converge
    Dashboard Confessional
    Entombed
    Explosions In The Sky
    Fudge Tunnel
    Hot Water Music
    Jets To Brazil
    Lightning Bolt
    Mastodon
    Mclusky
    NOFX
    Neurosis
    Oceansize
    Pitch Shifter
    Pretty Girls Make Graves
    Snapcase
    Strike Anywhere
    Suicidal Tendencies
    The Dillinger Escape Plan With Mike Patton
    The Pixies
    The Promise Ring
    The Transplants
    The Van Pelt
    Turbonegro
    Yo La Tengo

Golden oldies one and all...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I haven't used the Eircom version of the od2 site, but I have used the msn one. More or less identical. I purchaced about 200 credits a few months back, cost about €1.70. I tend to stream the songs, which only cost 1 credit each. Perfect if you wich to preview an album, only costing you 10c to hear the whole thing.

You are lad12!!!
    Why does everyone link me with this "lad12"
    :rolleyes:

Still alot of them bands aint the lastest stuff.Apart maybe fifty C.

With the eircom site you have to download the licence to play the tracks, its pretty crap really when you've paid for them and the bit rate isn't the best :)

Originally posted by d4

Still alot of them bands aint the lastest stuff.Apart maybe fifty C.

Ah, if it was sh*te music you were looking for all you had to do was say...

Ah, if it was sh*te music you were looking for all you had to do was say...

And what would you define as sh*te music?I'm talking bout Keane, coldplay, rchp, oasis, nirvana, David Gray, M. Jackson, Greenday, Foo Fighters, Feeder, The Frames, Paddy Casey,

and alot the the lastest songs in the chart.

Originally posted by d4
    And what would you define as sh*te music?I'm talking bout Keane, coldplay, rchp, oasis, nirvana, David Gray, M. Jackson, Greenday, Foo Fighters, Feeder, The Frames, Paddy Casey,

So am I...;)

This ain't the place to discuss the merits of our respective musical tastes, so I'll just say this...

Just because a band don't feature in the charts doesn't make their music "old folks music". I mentioned emusic.com as an example of how subscription mp3 services can, no should, be run. If you're happy paying a small fortune for the latest chart hits from Eircom, I'm happy to let you waste your money.

Like your new sig, good work out of you lad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I use E-Music too - until last November you got unlimited downloads for your $10 a month, but even at 40 tracks a month it's still excellent value & a great way to discover new music.

On this whole Eircom thing, they just don't get it yet do they? If I don't want to pay that kind of money for a CD, why the hell do they think I'll pay it for a lower quality file that I can only ever play on the machine I downloaded it on?

Keep trying guys.

This ain't the place to discuss the merits of our respective musical tastes, so I'll just say this...
    Just because a band don't feature in the charts doesn't make their music "old folks music". I mentioned emusic.com as an example of how subscription mp3 services can, no should, be run. If you're happy paying a small fortune for the latest chart hits from Eircom, I'm happy to let you waste your money.

Like your new sig, good work out of you lad...

Yeah i know eircom is sh*te now after checking it out but i just wanteed to find out was anyone else using the service.If you want a real deal check out ere

1gig = $10 --- about 9€..which aint bad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I've seen that site before. It's Russian & I have to say it's one of those things where you think, if it's too good to be true, it must be. I can't see the major labels agreeing to have their music sold at those prices.

Am I being too cynical? Has anybody used it? Is it on the level?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Kobie
    I've seen that site before. It's Russian & I have to say it's one of those things where you think, if it's too good to be true, it must be. I can't see the major labels agreeing to have their music sold at those prices.

Am I being too cynical? Has anybody used it? Is it on the level?

There is an article about it here on TheReg

Advertisement