Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a CD/DVD drive

Options
  • 13-05-2004 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to ask so here goes. When using certain software that access the CD/DVD drives, they lock the drive for exclusive use, my RealMagic DVD plaer, clonecd, blindwrite, Nero etc all do this. However, if the app crashes or locks up and you have to kill it, it doesn't release the lock on the drive, meaning you can't open it. The only fix is to reboot the computer.
    Does anyone know of an application, or tweak, that can unlock the drive or prevent applications from locking it in the first place? I know clonecd lets you uncheck the option to lock the drive but none of the other programs allow this.
    It's not often that it happens, but enough times in the past for me to look for something. Googleing for drive unlock or eject only gives system-tray type programs that eject the CD, but don't work if the drive is locked.
    Any help?

Advertisement