Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for learning Kanji

• 13-05-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've less than two weeks to learn close to 400 Kanji (Grades 1, 2 and half of 3)

I'm just writing them out over and over, and while the stroke order does sink in, it can be difficult to remember the various readings. Has anyone found a good way of commiting all this to memory? Any useful tips for relating the reading to the kanji itself?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Mnemonics are the way to go.

Look at the reading, think of the most insane thing you can to link the kanji with the meaning/reading and fix that in your mind. The more insane, the more likely it'll stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I agree, ask any memory master. The more utterly ridiculus the link, image, mneumonic the better it will implant itself on your memory and the better recall you will have.
    Our brains have a tendancy to forget the mundane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I draw them over and over and usually they stick in my head afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There are 2 kinds of kanji that are easy to learn, in my experience. The ones that make sense, like gate, or person

And the ones that are an example of total logical disconnect, like cat, which is made up of the particles "dog", "grass" and "field" 6.9

Advertisement