Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speaker damage

Options
  • 13-05-2004 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hey all..
    weird question..
    my niece (got bless her:mad: ) damaged 2 of my speakers (a centre speaker and a bookcase speaker)
    i think she basically stuck her finger into the little semi-sphere (sorry, dont know technical name) in the middle of the speaker and its kinda stuck in!:(
    i dont think it has any sound defects, but it looks camp and i wanna pull them out.
    is there anyway of "sucking" the little round thing out such as wit a hoover etc (but im afraid to do that) and make it look normal again
    im worried it might effect the sound in the long run!
    any1 had this problem before?
    any1 even know wat im talkin about?
    thanks a mill
    ¬hacksaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

ok, so i did some research and i think its called the DIAPHRAGM ..its the spherical part in the middle of the woofer
    does nobady know how to fix this problem?
    there must be some way so pull out or suck out te diaphragm?

anyone?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

my brother did this a while back with out stereo at home.
    the centre bit was a sort of plastic. (i'd be very careful if it was papery, use masking tape or something less sticky)
    basically i stuck a piece of sellotape to the pushed in bit and left it for a few hours.
    then i gently pulled the selotape out bringing the deformed dome with it.
    hope that works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Suck It [tm] out with a straw or a bit of blu-tak at the end of a pen.
    For bigger speakers I use a vacuum cleaner - sound dangerous but it does work if you're careful.

ZEN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I did mine with a hoover, did the job perfectly.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just suck it out, worse come to worse, you can buy some new tweeters.

John

• Advertisement

would a hoover not damage it or rip it at all?
    my speakers are sonySSMB200H) if that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The tweeters in those speakers look pretty well protected.

Are these your speakers ? If not can you find a link for them.

If these are yours then the sellotape method sounds good. Most hoovers have a vent neat the end of the hose which bypasses the main end of the hose. Partially open this and apply the hose slowly to the speaker at an angle i.e. not straight at it otherwise the force may rip the cone out of the basket.

Good luck !

ZEN

yes, thery're my babies!
    its not the tweeter, but the part in the middle of the main part of te speaker 9is it called the diaphragm?
    cheers
    will give it a shot when i get home

Advertisement