Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst play I have ever seen

Options
  • 13-05-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

I was playing in The Fitz last night, the 20 euro entry. I thought you guys said the standard was alot better on these nights? Last night I saw some rank bad play, about half my table looked like they had never seen a deck of cards before, never mind actually played the game. At one stage pair of 7's was all-in against A,5. One guy goes, "Ah 50/50 on this one". I informed him of the correct odds but he didn't agree. Later pair of 8's was against A,J, he says, "Ace, Jack big favourite". Now to be fair the other table seemed to have most of the experinced guys at them I just got stuck with a bunch of noobs but they did make for a night of high entertainment.

A guy called Bob was at my table, this guy was playing loose all night.
    At one stage he called a raise of 3,500 with 2,5 s and trips on the flop but this was nothing compared to later. Down to about 17 players, he was either 1st or 2nd in chips at the table. Player in early position goes all-in for about 4,000 followed by another all-in for about 8,000. Bob in late postion calls for about 80% of his chips - wow he must have a good hand to call 2 all-ins for most of his stack. Player 1 turns A,K, player 2 pair of Queens and Bob at the end flips 6,9 off-suit. Unbelieveable haha. I think for as long as I play this game I'll never see a call like that again. Well the Queens held up and Bob was walking soon after.

I got 5th for €100, that's my send fifth this week. Finishing in the money is nice but the difference between 5th and 1st in terms of prize money is so big you can't help but be a small bit dissappointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

how did you go out devil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

With guns blazing as usual. Blinds were 3000/6000 and about to go up in 2 mins to 4,000/8,000. I had about 19,000 not alot considering when down to five you in the blinds 40% of the time.

Perfect oppertunity for a steal, was in the small blind, folds all around to me, I shove them in praying for a fold. He's thinking, uh oh.

He calls with Q,J, a brave call considering he's risking 75% of his stack. Well that was the last hand I wanted to see with Q,2. Only 3 cards to hit to keep me alive - we both hit a queen but no 2 for me. Nothing wrong with my there in my opinion, you can't sit around waiting for hands at the final table - you have to make things happen. The cards I had were irrelivent the correct play is to go all-in, in that situation.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mostly I'd agree (I have a personal hatred for Q2 myself though!).

one thing I find in that situation is that I tend to disbelieve an all-in rather then a hefty raise! I dunno why but often all in seems as much for the drama and could easily be a steal, where as (say) a 12000 raise looks like a milking bet or a bet for value. Could just be me but it does leave you with chips (albeit not many) if you are called and screwed! *shrug*

I know what you mean about the difference between 1st and 5th... when it gets down to that I tend to get too conservative, happy to coast as far up the winnings ladders as my chips and decent hands will take me! Also, I'll always deal as 1st+2nd+3rd three ways is often more then 2nd!

The standard at that game has dropped a little recently I've noticed but its usually good post-freeze out.

Congrats on the win always nice to take cash out!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Last night I saw some rank bad play, about half my table looked like they had never seen a deck of cards before, never mind actually played the game.
    Was it you I tried to bluff off top pair while holding Ace-high? If it was, thank you for being kind enough not to mention it. That was kindof silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Yeah it was - I saw alot worse plays than that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The Sunday and especially the Wednesday €20 games seem to be getting more new players. They still have the regulars who know what they're doing (just about!) but there are a few more n00bs who seem to play seemingly nonsensical poker on occasion.
    I still say the mondya €100 game is teh win for poker quality.

Advertisement