Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with copying dvds

Options
  • 13-05-2004 8:00pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have just got a new dvd writer. Pioneer 107. Firmware 1.10. The problem which I am having is, I cant seem to get different software combinations to work for me.

I first tried using Dvd Decryptor which took over 1 hour for a 7.2gig dvd. Then I used DVD Shrink 3.1.7.6 to compress it, this process is taking over 2 hours to do.

The software which I am planning on using for the burn process is Nero 6.0.0.19. I dont imagine I will have any problems with this part.

What I am looking to find out is, does anyone have any ideas as to why the first couple of processes are taking so long. My PC is not too old. I am using WinME, 256mb ram, 80gb HD, P3 833mhz processor. I had the writer connected via a 2 way cable linking existing drive and pioneer to the motherboard. I have since disconnect old dvd drive, but still no difference.

At this stage I am pulling my hair out so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Uhm, copying DVD's do take a bit of time. It takes over an hour for me to copy dvds with CloneDVD. I've a P3 550Mhz though, so it's probably faster on new PC's.

BTW, Clone burns to disc after it's finished resizing and whatever other stuff it does.

I would advise editing your post, as part of it is veering towards warez!

If your PC only has a 833Mhz P3, then it must be pretty old. And as for Win ME! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

DVD Decryptor--> DVD Shrink is the best way to do it. I know you can get better quality if you use a proper encoder,. but then you'll be waiting about 10 times longer for it to be ready to burn.

It takes my computer about 10minutes to rip a DVD to my harddrive. The problem more than likely is that your drive is limited to 4x or 5x reading speed for DVD video discs. The reason is that when you watch a DVD on your computer, the drive is practically silent at those low speeds.

It takes my computer (an XP1800+) about 1 hour to compress a movie, using Deep Analysis (which improves quality considarably!). Thats a fair trade off in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I have a 2.66 GHZ P4, 512 MB RAM and an 8xDVD R/W.
    The process from start to finish takes on average 15 minutes in total.
    But I am using Nero Recode instead of DVD Shrink.;)
    Two hours seems a little long. Hmm.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

an hour to rip the dvd with decryptor is very excessive!!!!!!! make sure u have the aspi drivers installed and that ur drive is in dma mode use later version od dvdshrink 3.1.7 i think this will also burn the dvd for you using nero which u actually wont c but thats what i does, should take no longer than an 1hr - 1hr 45 on ur pc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Athlon 2.2, 60 gig, 512ram, ME nec 1300 2X dvd recorder
    using dvdXcopy express, about 45 minutes per dvd
    similar time for DVDclone

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I only rip the main movie only

the times are :
    15mins(ish) DVDdecryptor
    15mins(ish) DVD2One130
    20mins(ish) Convert Files to Image, then burn with DVDdecyptor

Athlon Xp 2000, 256Mb ram, NEC 1300 4x

Usually can have it burned within 1hr

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

@ 10000 maniacs

I am now trying to use nero recode but when its asks me to import dvd and I select my writer drive It throws up an error at me saying source drive does not contain a valid dvd title. Any ideas.

Thanks

Leonard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The process from start to finish takes on average 15 minutes in total.

Well, if i unchecked "deep analysis" i would be able to compress a DVD in 15 mins, and burn it in another 7 mins. But i don't want to do that, as i want teh extra quality that Deep Analysis gives. Considaring i only have to compress each DVD once, i think i can afford to give each DVD 1 hour.

Originally posted by Leonard
    @ 10000 maniacs

I am now trying to use nero recode but when its asks me to import dvd and I select my writer drive It throws up an error at me saying source drive does not contain a valid dvd title. Any ideas.

Thanks

Leonard

But you have to decode/transfer the DVD first using DVD Decrypter, then use Nero recode.;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just realised that m8. Thanks for prompt reply though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I just use DVD Shrink and Nero - i've found this to be fastest. DVD shrink is really fast and is very easy to use - it makes all the .IFOs and then u jst burn them with Nero...check out www.afterdawn.com - they have loads of guides.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I used to use DVD Shrink but now use Clone DVD as it is much faster.
    On average it takes 15-25 mins to rip and re-encode a full dvd.

A lot of DVD burners come with Nero 6.0.
    Nero recode (Available free on the web) works with Nero 6 and is fast and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Get yourself AnyDvd and CloneDVD all will be pucka!

Advertisement