Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98se Brainteaser...

Options
  • 13-05-2004 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Here's a little brainteaser for the technically minded...

I have what seems to be a completely random problem (even though we all know computers aren't random). Half the time just as Win98se is coming to the end of a boot it hangs on a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. You have to manaully reboot and if Win98se then eventually boots then the display adaptor won't be working properly - 640x480 with 16 colours. You then have to reset your display settings (1024x768, millions of colours for example) and reboot. Hopefully it won't randomly hang again and put you through the same whole process.

If it hangs more then a few times it won't let you reset the display settings at all and becomes stuck in 640x480, 16 colours. Then you have to reinstall drivers and reboot etc.

It means that I'm reinstalling the display drivers every few days and then watching it crumble all over again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When you installed whatever drivers did you fully remove all the old ones, old rivers can cause crap like that.
    Are you Nvidia card or Ati or other?

Restart in Safe mode (f8 just after POSt screen) and use step by step commnad and see what driver it craps out on.

You may have to remove all the old drivers to fix it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Definitely a display driver problem. Do as Kdjac says and make sure you are installing the exact driver for your display card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

It's a Gateway Nvidia TNT, can't find the drivers for it on the Gateway website (because it's so old I'd imagine) so using a default(?) Nvidia TNT driver. I'll try the step by step again but i've tried it before a few times and it just didn't hang those times. So it's hard to pin down.

Any idea where I could find the right driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It's not on this list, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by daire
    It's a Gateway Nvidia TNT, can't find the drivers for it on the Gateway website (because it's so old I'd imagine) so using a default(?) Nvidia TNT driver.
    Any idea where I could find the right driver?

I thought so much. Try Driverguide.com use {login:drivers password:.all}if you're not a member. failing that have a look around the gateway sites searching by your system but they can be hard to find . What model is your system? I Have a few old gatways system disks somewhere and if i have one that covers your system you are welcome to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement