Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anime Reconmendations anyone?

• 13-05-2004 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some good Anime or Manga to bolster my collection.

And better than coming along and replying to people's kind-hearted suggestions with constant "Seen it" replies...

I've seen:

Akira
    Ghost In The Shell (And Stand Alone Complex)
    Ninja Scroll
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    Castle In The Sky
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Vampire Hunter D (And VHD: Bloodlust)
    Metropolis
    Hellsing
    Love Hina
    Vampire Princess Miyu
    Urotsukidoji

And I'm pretty sure I've seen a bit more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. At the very least, it'll save on a few pointless "Go see Akira!" posts.

Also, are Blue Gender, and Final Fantasy Unlimited any good?
    Worth buying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What about Neon Genesis Evangelion.
    I don't know what it is like but it is often recommened by people. Taught about buying it before but I know if I bought one and liked it I would want to get them all.

I only have Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away. Karl Hungus, which would you recommend getting next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... Well, I'm not really into the Massive Robots thingie, so I'd probably give Evangelion a miss.

As for what you should get, I'd say Princess Mononoke.
    Utterly fantastic film, and same bloke who did Spirited Away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Cowboy Bebop; you won't be disappointed ;)

Also, check out Great Teacher Onizuka if you can. It's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, Anime or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Are you looking for series or films?

Check out Perfect Blue, it's a fairly twisted film.
    The Castle of Cagliostro is good too, a bit old at this stage but worth checking out.
    Grave of the Fireflies for more Studio Ghibli goodness.
    Jin Roh is pretty good too, been a while since I watched it though.
    Patlabor was an enjoyable film but you don't like mechs so you may want to skip it.

As for series.

Well even if you don't like mechs and massive robots you should check out NGE anyway.
    Trigun too.
    FL/CL is quality. A must see in my opinion.
    And as Hecate says Cowboy Bebop.
    Also, Stand Alone Complex 2nd Series is about 8 episodes in now.
    Rurouni Kenshin OVAs are pretty cool too. Havent seen any of the series itself though, except the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i suggest the ichi the killer anime movie. its only new.

also everyone loves street fighter and the street fighter 2 anime movie is really entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

If your going to get into Neon Genesis Evangelion then you HAVE to see the programme before the movie, cause you won't have a clue. Even if your not into Mech's you should give it a try cause it is really good.
    Another program i liked was Martian Successor Nadesico, i thought that it was funny.
    I would give Blue Gender a miss cvause the program goes on for way longer then it has to, and i just got pissed off with it.
    Another good Program i liked was Burn Up Excess. I thought that this was as funny as hell, and the women in it are good looking as well ;).

If your going to get a film then you have tp get R.O.D (Read Or Die). This is one of the best anime films to appear in a while.
    The Cowboy Bebop Movie is a brilliant film and you don't have to have watched the program to get into it.

Thats as much as i can think of, from what i've seen i'll let you know if i find any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cowboy bebop - knocking on heaven's door
    blood - the last vampire

i prefered the street fighter alpha movie to the street fighter one, neither were anything special though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

You should really watch Cowboy Bebop aswell before the movie, it's absolutely fantastic. I like any of the AD Police movies. Also FLCL is top notch. I'd say patlabor, but if you're not into mecha then there's no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by Karl Hungus

Akira
    Ghost In The Shell (And Stand Alone Complex)
    Ninja Scroll
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    Castle In The Sky
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Vampire Hunter D (And VHD: Bloodlust)
    Metropolis
    Hellsing
    Love Hina
    Vampire Princess Miyu
    Urotsukidoji

I'm very surprised that you dont have "3x3 eyes" listed Ken. If you haven't seen it, I say to you good sir.... GO SEE IT NOW! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3x3 eyes is only good to watch with a bunch of drunk mates since the gore and story are so over the top that its hilarious.

A film that should be seen by all anime fans is Wings of Honneamise and is my current favourite film. Its not like your anime film with big robots and big breasted blue haired girls. In fact its not like any other film I've ever seen. Its set on an alternative earth were mankind is just about to take its first steps into space. However the government want to use the launch for their own reasons. Its quite a slow film with no action until close to the end. But watch it to the end. Its well worth it. It was studio Gainax's first film (they later made NGE). The animation is really something else. It was released a year before Akira and the animation far surpasses Akiras.

The manga video that is on sale has one scene cut out but tbh I think its a far better film cut. Its got mostly but great reviews on www.imdb.com. Manga sometimes put it up free to watch on www.sputnik7.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd highly recommend the mini-series Doomed Megaopolis. Deliciously freaky.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Are you looking for series or films?

Both.
    Though I'd like to see a good consistantly good series like Hellsing again.
    Check out Perfect Blue, it's a fairly twisted film.
    The Castle of Cagliostro is good too, a bit old at this stage but worth checking out.
    Grave of the Fireflies for more Studio Ghibli goodness.
    Jin Roh is pretty good too, been a while since I watched it though.
    Patlabor was an enjoyable film but you don't like mechs so you may want to skip it.

As for series.

Well even if you don't like mechs and massive robots you should check out NGE anyway.
    Trigun too.
    FL/CL is quality. A must see in my opinion.
    And as Hecate says Cowboy Bebop.
    Also, Stand Alone Complex 2nd Series is about 8 episodes in now.
    Rurouni Kenshin OVAs are pretty cool too. Havent seen any of the series itself though, except the first episode.

I badly want to see Grave Of The Fireflies now that you mention it, but it's not out on DVD. And it's the kind of film I do want to own on DVD, so I'm not going to resort to piracy.

I was generally worried about getting Cowboy Bebop The Movie, as I thought I might've had to have seen the series to appreciate it, but if not, it's on special offer on play.com, and even dirt cheap here in town, so I might give it a look next time I've a bit to spend.

I forgot to say that yeah, I've seen the Ichi The Killer Anime, Street Fighter, and Trigun...
    I knew I was leaving some out, and probably still am.

I think a friend recommended R.O.D. to me before, I'll definetly try and check that out.

Seems I should give Blue Gender a miss, then?

Anyone seen Final Fantasy Unlimited though?
    Worth getting, or what?

Grave of the Fireflies is on DVD, I've got a 2 disc region 1 version.
    http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=38839

To be honest I wouldn't watch Knocking On Heaven's Door without having watched any of the series. It's comes in at about episode 23 or so in the series time line wise. I had seen the whole series before I saw it and at least that way you know the background of the characters.
    Anyway Cowboy Bebop is a great series, so you should check it out.

Sorry, I meant Region 2 DVD.

Is 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' the same as Cowboy Bebop: The Movie?

Doesn't seem that the series is out on R2 DVD either... :(

Yeah Knocking on Heaven's Door is the CB movie.

There's not much anime on region 2. Most of it is region 1 or region 4.

That's a bollocks...

I've not had any luck with Region1 DVDs in the past, so I just stick to R2 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rahxephon.. it has a robot or two but it is the.. best series i've seen, absaloutely ****ing fantastic in every way.

berserk.. big guy, bigger sword, big wars. *nod* def. check out berserk

Noir.. a bit slow moving, most of the anime is dedicated to developing the story rather than action.. but once it all comes to a head it's really really good

hack sign - same as noir :p

FLCL - watch this. 6 episodes only.

serial experiments lain - 13 eps.. pure class

blue submarine number 6 - 4 eps, cool story and great animation (if you like cgi mixed with standard anim.)

Goldenby - so perverted and funny :D

Read or die OVA - 3 episodes, really.. really cool.

there's a read or die tv series out now as well, but I haven't seen that.

Rurouni Kenshin - coolness. lot of it to be watched though, check out the OVA Samurai X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I've heard good things about the Ninja Scroll series and Sword For Truth but I wouldn't have a clue where to find them.

Originally posted by Creature
    I've heard good things about the Ninja Scroll series and Sword For Truth but I wouldn't have a clue where to find them.

You might gat luckt and find Ninja Scroll in a HMV shop. I saw one in the square about two weeks ago. It's definatly a worth a look, i thought it was a brilliant film.

Sword for Truth should be easy to find cause it's part of the Manga Collection, which is available in nearly all music shop's. But i suggest looking in GAME, they have nearly all of the Manga Collection in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea Perfect Blue is a cool film alright, Id go with mordeths suggestion. Im watching some noir myself here, heh. Its very like hack sign, in the animation, and the way they put the music to it. Is it made by the same folks?
    :eek:
    Also i nearly shat myself earlier today , i turned on TV and saw astro boy on the DEN, w00t. OMFG , OMFG like real anime on RTE :: ZONE do the theme tune to astro boy (true Blue), OMFG , OMFG : /me is in a dazzle. ZONE on Irish TV, OMFG OMFG. :o
    /me dies

• Advertisement

Anybody else think Manga Entertainment are crap?

pretty much, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I've seen the Ichi The Killer Anime

How is it? I haven't seen a single positive review but I'm still considering getting it becasue Ichi The Killer is probably my favourite film. Miike does some voice acting on it too, which sounds nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Originally posted by Kain
    You might gat luckt and find Ninja Scroll in a HMV shop. I saw one in the square about two weeks ago. It's definatly a worth a look, i thought it was a brilliant film.

No no no I'm talking about the series they made of Ninja Scroll, not the film. As far as I know it tells the story of what Jubei did after the events of the film. Here's the official site see for yourself.

Originally posted by Scratch Acid
    How is it? I haven't seen a single positive review but I'm still considering getting it becasue Ichi The Killer is probably my favourite film. Miike does some voice acting on it too, which sounds nice...

If you liked Ichi The Killer, then you should like the anime too. It's basically just Ichi's backstory, although it's pretty short at 46 minutes, but it's extremely well done, and just a great little film in it's own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I see. You should check out the manga if you get the opportunity, it's excellent.

Originally posted by Creature
    No no no I'm talking about the series they made of Ninja Scroll, not the film. As far as I know it tells the story of what Jubei did after the events of the film. Here's the official site see for yourself.

You can buy Volume 1 on play.com from Monday and Volume 2 is out on 5th July.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=165872&p=57&c=&g=72

Anybody else think Manga Entertainment are crap?

I would'nt go so far as to say that now; you've got to remember that Manga (UK) were one of the first companies to distribute a lot of this stuff in Ireland around 1992-93 as far as I recall. Laser, Virgin and Forbidden Planet had quite a few titles in stock.

Initially it was the more extreme end of things with the likes of demon womb, devil man and fist of the north star getting released. But there was some good stuff around such as Project A.K.O, which I remember seeing when I was about 13 or so; it was so funny, whacky and new at the time that it got me hooked for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

ah fist of the north star. if quentin tarantino hadnt seen it we might have had a good ending to kill bill vol2.

• Advertisement

You can buy Volume 1 on play.com from Monday and Volume 2 is out on 5th July.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=165872&p=57&c=&g=72

Hmm, it's definetly a thought...

I certainly liked Ninja Scroll, thought it was fantastic... But there was a sequal called Ninja Ressurection, and from everything I heard, it was supposedly complete poo, so I'd be kinda wary in that sense. But I shall have a looksee at review and see what turns up, and whether it lives up to the original.

At least it's out on R2. :D

erk, ninja scroll was awful

such a bad.. stereotypical anime, nothing of any value to it and no reason at all for half it's fame. it's like a bad episode of rurouni kenshin, with more killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I hope that soon more anime will get published over here. Heck, the Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs have just been released on Region 2 in the past couple of months (which is a series I would check out).
    I wouldn't watch the Cowboy Bebop movie until after seeing the series, which I definetly recommend.
    Rurouni Kenshin, Berserk and Outlaw Star are very good.

In the area of Region 2 however, there's really not much that's not on your list.

But isn't Japan in Region 2 as well?

I'd imagine a few titles get release there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

i'm gonna put my reputation on the line and recommend 'waking life'
    laser have it on dvd.

Originally posted by Hecate
    But isn't Japan in Region 2 as well?

I'd imagine a few titles get release there ;)

Except they wont have English subs. Which could prove a tad problematic.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
    i'm gonna put my reputation on the line and recommend 'waking life'
    laser have it on dvd.

er, reputation?

waking life is one of the best movies I've ever seen. i watched it abut 8 times in 4 days when I got it on dvd.. so great

def. one for everyone who's interested in good films to check out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you can get the cowboy bebop series go for it , ****ing great !

you can get bootlegt anime on ebay or www.discountanimedvd.com or many other places

but the quality sometimes isn't great and the subtitles... can leave alot to be desired

but fr 30 euro a series, it's often worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

yeah sorry, 'reputation' wasnt the best word.
    Lets say this, waking life isnt for everybody but i enjoyed a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

RahXephon
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Shaman King (subbed)
    Chrno Crusade
    Gundam SEED (unless you really hate robot anime)
    Macross Zero
    Macross Plus
    Bubblegun Crisis 2040
    Noir (complete lack of gore, but HEY :P )
    Escaflowne
    Outlaw Star
    Gundam : The 8th MS Team
    Gundam 0083

Ken, forget about FF Unlimited; it sux0rs

and, are you coming to GL X? If so, i may be able to help you :ninja:

• Advertisement

To be honest Neo, I don't know.
    I thought I would be, but it all depends if I'm living in galway at all at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*opens dvd collection hmmmmm*

series to recommand.

Well firstly in region 2 i recommand Excel Saga its from the director of cowboy bebop and is one of the funniest animes ever.

Sadly i had my dvd player chipped early on so i can get the good stuff.

Vampire hunter D bloodlust is very good. Dont get original its nothing compared to bloodlust and you dont need original to fill in any of the story (sadly only the first one is region 2)

Other region 1 (or 2 if you get bootlegged copies) animes if your willing to take a chance coming out include.

Last Exile- One of the most beutiful anime series available, and a great story to go with it. Some similarities with escaflowne in its setting style but overall a much different much better series. (But speaking of escaflowne..try and get the movie its good)

Infinite Ryvius -Very much a unknown anime series but one i highly recommand for drama and intensity. Storyline is something of a lord of the flies with 500 kids trapped on a spaceship with no adults. Lots of groups and class division. Throw in only 1 gun on the ship and you have great drama. The space battles are more realistic as they involve thinking 5 moves ahead. There is 1 robot but it doesnt act like the big mech robots that are stereotypical. (this one requires creating programs and has 30 people working on its program at a time)

I noticed you said you dont like mecha anime but one series i recommand you give a try to is Full Metal Panic. It is a mecha series but despite the box covers show them on the front for each volume they actually play a less role then you think. This is in region 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

Originally posted by Mordeth

serial experiments lain - 13 eps.. pure class

Wow! Someone else has heard of Lain...
    Absotively posilutely the finest wierd movie / anime I have ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Originally posted by Salubri
    Wow! Someone else has heard of Lain...
    Absotively posilutely the finest wierd movie / anime I have ever seen!
    Yeah, I love Lain, too
    I run Eirtaku ( http://eirtaku.com ) a site for Irish people that like manga and anime... I can assure you that most people there know about Lain :)
    We have a forum ( http://forum.eirtaku.com ) as there is no suitable place on boards.ie to fully discuss Anime / Manga. We *almost* got a forum on boards.ie, but it's on its own domain now. So feel free to join.

Also, I agree with Mord's recommendations in his first post... some awesome series were mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

What about Sailor Moon?

Fine it's not ultra-serious, but it's got ongoing arcs plus some very funny moments and there's lots of it to watch. Dunno if it's on R2 DVD, but discountanime.com have nearly all the series there.

I'd also recommend Doomed Megalopolis, 3x3 Eyes, Fist of the North Star and Macross :)

Oh and 'My Neighbour Totoro' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

hmm im two ways about anime, i watched the animatrix today and vampire hunter d, i liked the animatrix but wasnt very impressed with vampire hunter. tbh i think id be intrested in very new anime with cgi included etc. so does anyone have any reccomendations about films simlar to the animatrix and kill bill?

Originally posted by TCamen
    What about Sailor Moon?

Sailor Moon is total cack. I watched one episode and it was the most cheesey'ist thing i had ever seen. So what i'm trying to say is i'm not a fan.

Weemcd : try Spirtied away, that a new one out and is really good, also Ghost in the Shell, that may settle your cravings for CG, Ki-Dou-Maru also has some CG in it, but i would avoid this like the plague cause it's total ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Sailor Moon is total cack. I watched one episode and it was the most cheesey'ist thing i had ever seen. So what i'm trying to say is i'm not a fan.

Glad ya gave it a chance then. If I stopped watching TV series @ the first sign of a bad episode, or poor pilot I'd have nothing to watch :rolleyes:

Well if CG floats your boat I'd recommend you check out Macross Zero. Its only 3 episodes in so far (out of a 5 episode OVA I think), but my god does it look the business.

Any attempts I've seen to integrate CG with 2D animation usually dont come off very well and just end up looking, well...wrong, it is difficult to describe. Blue Submarine No. 6 did a pretty good job but some parts were unconvincing, mainly explosions and the like.

However Macross Zero is very well done, it is serious eye candy. The fighter jet/mech transformations are really amazing. And the fact its also got the whole macross storyline to fit into helps as well.

Another one worth looking at is Voices of a Distant Star. Its a 30 minute short about a girl who leaves behind her boyfriend to fight off an alien armada. They only way they communicate is through text messages which take longer and longer to reach earth the further away she gets. Its an interesting storyline and its backed up by some really high class cg, it works well because the computer animation is not very obvious. Its subtly integrated so it doesnt look out of place, the effect is pretty stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

weemcd...

the original vampire hunter d stinks completely of the 80s style of anime and is not great (i hate it myself) but if you liked animatrix 'Bloodlust' the second hunter D film is similar to that as it is its forerunner it was the first anime before animatrix made for the western audiance specificly by a japanese crew and director so its easier to watch for newcomers to anime and thsoe who dont like digging up dictionaries to find out the meaning of said *pun* in japanese. (hence i love menchi pop up in excel saga dvd explains everything)

On CGI anime mixing last exile is very well done in this area. Much better then blue submarine. Macross zero as already mentioned. Heck even the older macross plus uses cgi/anime mixing and is an amazing 4 part ova. though there are two versions...i havnt seen the movie version but the ova one is great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement