Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anime Reconmendations anyone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    A film that should be seen by all anime fans is Wings of Honneamise and is my current favourite film.

I just watched this last week. The animation is superb for the time (1987) but I was intoxicated while watching it and I really couldn't make head nor tails of it. It was really long and overdrawn, I couldn't even finish the movie. But I'm sure giving it a second watch with no alcohol will at least let me know what's going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's long and can be boring but the ending is amazing. You really have to watch it all the way to the end and when you see it the whole way through you'll know that it was worth it. Considering how long it is and that there's no action until the very end I don't think the alcohol did it any favours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

thanks for the reccomendations, from what ive seen the new vampire hunter looks class so i might give it a try. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

macross zero is the business alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I just finished watching Berserk. And im absolutely blown away. Definately my favourite anime, Its just awesome on so many levels, way to difficult to convey the magnitude of its genius, watch it if you havnt seen it (A must, and not just for anime fans). I only got the loan of it, but definately going to be my next DVD set purchase.
    Thumbs up all the way,
    Go Gatsu!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by weemcd
    thanks for the reccomendations, from what ive seen the new vampire hunter looks class so i might give it a try. :D

Aye, I was very underwhealmed when I saw the original Vampire Hunter D.

Bloodlust is by far a much better film altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*sniff* people actually took my recommandations *sniff* I'm sooo happy!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Here's another vote for Cowboy Bebop. Love the style, love the characters, love how the storyline and character histories unfold. Pity they only made one season. Watch the series before the movie, things will make more sense.

Monty made me watch Read Or Die. The 3-episode OVA is a load of concentrated Gay, but it's essential watching for the (far more interesting) TV series. Still not sure whether it was worth watching the whole lot or not.

Sorry to ressurect such an old post.

Is Violence Jack any good?

Also Cowboy Bebop the Movie is excellant well worth getting.I got it for 15 euro in redlight records (Niot sure if thats the proper name) in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by nadir
    I just finished watching Berserk. And im absolutely blown away. Definately my favourite anime, Its just awesome on so many levels, way to difficult to convey the magnitude of its genius, watch it if you havnt seen it (A must, and not just for anime fans). I only got the loan of it, but definately going to be my next DVD set purchase.
    Thumbs up all the way,
    Go Gatsu!.

Yeah it's great
    But it's a poxy cliffhanger, which is rather annoying. Now I have to go looking for the manga to find out what happens.
    Anybody know how many manga volumes there are?

Also, I thought Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was kind of crappy. It's another over rated anime like Ninja Scroll imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got Memories this week... which has finally gotten a long overdue release over here...

It really is very good... especially the Magnetic Rose story...

And the soundtrack is amazing too... great in 5.1

Anyone gotten the Evangellion : Ressurection DVD yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Macross Zero Vote here, fcking great.. Though ep. 4 isnt great.. trys to attack the love story line in it all far to much. Cant wait for ep 5 to finish it all of its going to be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Junni Kokki (12 Kingdoms) is the best Anime out there, lovely animation beautiful music and complex and interestiung storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

oh and Kenshin OVA is great, Last exile is good also, and Chobits is good

Originally posted by bedlam
    26 Volumes in Japanese that I'm aware of (it is still being released AFAIK) and the 1st four volumes have been translated by Dark Horse Comics . English translation release is roughly one every 3 months.

I was absolutely stunned by the Anime version, it really was phenominal altogether, such fantastically strong characters and story, especially once it started getting into the political aspect of the aristocracy.

I've since read the 1st volume of the Manga, and it really looks like it's far more detailed altogether. I think I might indeed be investing in the Dark Horse translations.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by monkeyfudge
    I got Memories this week... which has finally gotten a long overdue release over here...

It really is very good... especially the Magnetic Rose story...

And the soundtrack is amazing too... great in 5.1

Watched Memories a few weeks back. I thought it was very good.

Im going to order Berserk after all the positive feedback Ive read about here. Anyone know how many volumes of Hellsing there is in all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    I was absolutely stunned by the Anime version, it really was phenominal altogether, such fantastically strong characters and story, especially once it started getting into the political aspect of the aristocracy.

I've since read the 1st volume of the Manga, and it really looks like it's far more detailed altogether. I think I might indeed be investing in the Dark Horse translations.

Yeah I've read volume 1 too and it is far more detailed than the anime, but that's to be expected I suppose.
    I read volume 13 too because that's where the anime ends, but it's skipped a bit forward, so I need to read 12 to find out what actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I just finished the Berserk anime series aswell. Superb story and character development, although the animation and the ending are a little etchy (however a second season is not out of the question). Still, I definetly recommend it. Now on to the third book of the manga series (to also find out what happens), and a quick replay of the Dreamcast Berserk video game (which is placed after the anime).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea, it really is in a league of its own, characters - character development very interesting. Setting is also unusual , themes like this usually arn't executed very well, and the story is origional. I know what you mean about the ending being a bit strange, but it also explains the first episode pretty clearly . ;) I must try the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Theres a few second hand copies in the game shop on talbot street. The one that isn't Gamezone.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I thought Memories was overrated. It was entertaining enough, but not something I'd put on a list of favourites.

I've heard only good things about Berserk so far.

I recommend watching Rah-Xephon, but only after seeing Evangelion so that it is abundantly clear where Rah-Xephon got it's ideas :) .

I started watching Cowboy Bepop yesterday... Man it's starting to get real juicey!!

Advertisement