Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rattling Manhole covers

• 13-05-2004 9:30pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this but here goes! Day by day Dublin seems to be more and more a city of rattling manhole covers and for anyone who has the misfortune to live or work near one it can be incredibly annoying.

Anyone know why it is so difficult to design one that does not rattle. I can understand how as they get older it might begin to happen but even new ones seem to suffer this problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"it's a feature, not a bug"
    They get bent outta shape when lots of heavy things driver over them. The alternative would be that they last longer and risk breaking altogether.. more dangerous.

If that's what you have to worry about, I envy you :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by dub45
    Not sure where to post this but here goes! Day by day Dublin seems to be more and more a city of rattling manhole covers and for anyone who has the misfortune to live or work near one it can be incredibly annoying.

Anyone know why it is so difficult to design one that does not rattle. I can understand how as they get older it might begin to happen but even new ones seem to suffer this problem

My point is that even new ones are rattling and try living or working beside one and you wont be so lighthearted about it I can assure you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

maybe it's a case that the manhole covers are changing size & shape as the temperature changes? Having said that though, I'd seriously doubt the temperatures we've experienced so far this year would be enough to even cause a small change of size.

Maybe they're just not being installed properly? Maybe the annoying noise is a design feature? Do the foundry up in Birr still make them? Why not contact them to have a bitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

My bedroom in the last place I lived was at ground level right beside two manholes. Every time a car went over them, I'd hear a loud *thunk-thunk*. I thought it would drive me mad when I first moved in, but I got so used to it I barely noticed it after a while.

Until I got really stoned one night and was convinced someone was getting shot outside... *THUNK-THUNK* :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If getting stoned is what you have to worry about, I envy you ;)

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bloody mole people people trying to escape again.

(Shit, I've finally said it out loud).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

get a small acetylene torch and sneak out in the middle of the night and weld it shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

we have 2 of them outside our apartment but these are pavement ones, and they do my head in on busy shopping days like a saturday. god it drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Nick them and hope they replace them with better ones.
    If it doesnt work, Try again.

Once you have ones you like, then dump the manhole covers somewhere they'll be used again; i hate theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

if you need to hide cans for a party later on - then lifting up a manhole and hiding them down there is not a good idea

Weil's disease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

why are there ANY manhole covers, there is no underground in dublin, even for sewege as far as i knew, i am just stoopid ?. or what the hell are they for ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ahugh amount are for access to phone and cable lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Lot of them are for drainage tunnels, those grates on the side of the road that take rainwater? ... have to take it somewhere :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Stark
    Bloody mole people people trying to escape again.

(Shit, I've finally said it out loud).

No, it's the Turtles! (the Dublin faction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

just rob em and put some red tape around it so you cant be don for manslaughter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    why are there ANY manhole covers, there is no underground in dublin, even for sewege as far as i knew, i am just stoopid ?. or what the hell are they for ?
    So - water, sewage, drainage, gas, electricity, phones (17? different companies), traffic light control - just how does all this stuff get around the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Victor
    just how does all this stuff get around the city?

Special brand Council Fairy Dust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Victor
    So - water, sewage, drainage, gas, electricity, phones (17? different companies), traffic light control - just how does all this stuff get around the city?

well that answers that, i am stooopid :(

Advertisement