Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Passed - A few questions tho - Thanks

• 14-05-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have been reading as much as I can over the past few weeks but still have a few questions.

first of all I got my phoneline installed by eircon about 1 month ago and up until yesterday it was giving a fail rate when I tested the number for broadband on eircom.ie.

I line is now giving a pass - I would like to get broadband but was wondering:

Eircom have a line coming into the house to just inside the hall door. I have my computer upstairs so I just have a normal phone cable running up the stairs to the computer about 15 meters. Can the splitter box be installed at the end of this cable or does it have to be at the phone socket inside the door?

I am tempted to go with Utv for their broadband as I used to have the UTVip when I lived in Dublin. Back then when I had access to their utv news there used to be alot of people complaining about bad speeds etc with the clicksilver product. Has this improved any.

I am using on of the new Medion PC's which were available in Aldi not so long ago. Which type of broadband modem is best for me and is there anything stopping me binning the modem that is given to me as part of the Utv package and getting a better one with multiple user access?

& Lastly - The computer I bought has WLAN what are my options and what do I need so I would have access thruout the house without cables running everywhere?

tks for your help

Neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by neonitrix
    I am tempted to go with Utv for their broadband as I used to have the UTVip when I lived in Dublin. Back then when I had access to their utv news there used to be alot of people complaining about bad speeds etc with the clicksilver product. Has this improved any.

afaik the worst thing about UTV is their pings.
    I am using on of the new Medion PC's which were available in Aldi not so long ago. Which type of broadband modem is best for me and is there anything stopping me binning the modem that is given to me as part of the Utv package and getting a better one with multiple user access?

I don't know about the UTV modem, but the IOL one allows multi-user access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just my two cents...dont give your business to eircon (as we all deserve better...). You have the following to choose from:

Netsource; iol ; utv ; digiweb.

Netsource if your likely to be heavy user in terms of downloads; utv offer the best value for the basic package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You fecker Ed, you can get it out in the shticks, I can't get it in Dublin....

Afaik, you can put the splitter anywhere, but I have two words for you: Wireless router.
    Buy one of these and stick it on/under the hall table, and presto, wireless access all over the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Eircom have a line coming into the house to just inside the hall door. I have my computer upstairs so I just have a normal phone cable running up the stairs to the computer about 15 meters. Can the splitter box be installed at the end of this cable or does it have to be at the phone socket inside the door?

You can dp either. I have a splitter plugged into the wall inside the door and a 20M extension routed unseen all the way around the stairs, through the stair well and into a bedroom. I still see downloads in excess of 56k. In fact, I can't tell the difference when using the extension, as I have plugged the laptop directly into the filter at the socket too.

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Originally posted by seamus
    You fecker Ed, you can get it out in the shticks, I can't get it in Dublin....

Afaik, you can put the splitter anywhere, but I have two words for you: Wireless router.
    Buy one of these and stick it on/under the hall table, and presto, wireless access all over the house.

Yeah but seamus this is Portlaoise were talking about I have already found 3 wireless networks I could use in my estate only problem is I dont know who the belong to and I dont have a right to their bandwidth OR DO I lol

You still on the same phone number? if so will ring you monday eve. You heard from the Chief lately??

NEonitrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You still on the same phone number? if so will ring you monday eve. You heard from the Chief lately??

NEonitrix
    Same number. Chief is living it up, mooching off us by getting overtime.

Advertisement