Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox & BB. Xbox Live subscription?

• 14-05-2004 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm thinking of buying an Xbox Broadband package which I saw in a Games shop.
    It includes an Xbox Live starter kit.
    I asked the sales guy if Xbox Live was a subscription based service and he said no.
    But after reading FAQs at xbox.com it appears that this is a subscription based service. Can someone clarify?

Also, do I have to use Xbox Live?
    Or are there alternative Xbox servers online?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yes its a subscription service and costs €60 per year and you must have a valid credit card to authorise your account when you are signing up to xbox live. The only way to play xbox games online is on xbox live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

what shop was it? go back and hit the muppet for not telling you the truth.

you can pay either a yearly or monthly or monthy subscription afaik.

I don't think there are any alternatives.

[edit] gah! beaten to it! [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

If you get the starter kit, make sure you buy the one that comes bundled with a game.

You only pay €20 for a great game, I got it with project gotham 2, and am having a great time online with it!

Must try coutnerstrike sometime and RB63 as well.

What do you guys play on xbox live?

Grayarea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Counter Strike = Sexual, its one of the best games on Live, its mad!

Splinter Cell: Pandorra Tomorrow: Its pritty good as well, good fun in it :)

The free moto GP game is fun as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I am guessing it was Gamesstop (gamesworld). They are one of a number fo places doing this deal where u get the xbox cheap if you sign up to eircom bb.

when you buy the xbox live started kit, u get 12 months free subscription to xbox live, but u need a valid credit card to set it up.

once you 12 months free runs out ur normaly charged €6.99 unless you tell them different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

theres X-box live starter kits that are coming out that willl have a years subscription free to x-box live, thats might be what he meant

Credit cards will not be the only way to pay for live, in the near future theyll be pre-paid x-box live cards (like phone cards) That will allow you to pay for live without a credit card

Shin

sorry just saw wantons post above yes you do need a credit card to register for the years free sub, that should change with the pre paid cards though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

will it work over a wireless network?

there is an xbox wireless adaptor of some kind all right, but i think its possible to do it with out this one,

the official xbox one is on the site somewhere, cant find it atm thought.

u need the regular wireless stuff for the pc aswell ofc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

didnt someone mention before that IOL is the official xbox live package for ireland?

if so, its a joke that they dont do any offers on it, while eircom have afew... i would have gone with eircom if it wasnt for the <insert list of complaints> I heard about

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Are pings important on XBox as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Google for xbconnect and you might save some money!

Originally posted by flogen
    i would have gone with eircom if it wasnt for the <insert list of complaints> I heard about

Flogen

i am with utv myself, but realy i can only remember 3 main complaints, the worest one is the 8gig limit, but for just gaming thats loads. they are a more expensive, but you seem to get a much more stable service compared to utv anyway, and then there is the premium calls when u do get a problem.

i could be wrong, and probable am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Erfrun

SLIM, Thanks for pointer to xbconnect (free alternative to Xbox Live).
    I'm waiting for Eircom to connect my broadband. Will try it out then.

Are there any disadvantages compared to Xbox Live?
    I think I read somewhere that you cant use the communicator headset with xbconnect...

Advertisement