Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent downloads

• 14-05-2004 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Anyone got any experience of using BitTorrent or E-Mule? I've just started to use them and am very very very (get the hint) disappointed with the download speeds I'm receiving. 3.6kb seems to be a good speed! I've configured them according to the docs, opened up the necessary firewall ports etc. but still no joy! :dunno:

Any advice on the best way around this greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any experience of subscription newsreaders any tips greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Only 1 tip I can give you. The more you seed (upload), the better it gets. Are you sharing any files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Two ways for this happening one your behind a firewall which is highly likely that wont let you download from alot of sources and 2 more upload doesnt mean you get more download,it can also slow your conection,download a program called netlimiter you get set your download speed to max and upload do you can get a higher download speed,and set netlimiter to max upload 1kb sec its the job,but your most def behind a fire wall,which i wouldnt recommend turning off handly in sp2 thou you can chose what to firewall

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I was getting the same d/l speeds until Dataisgod recommended Burst bittorrent client.Now the d/l are up to 40k/sec.
    Get it here

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/6/10-6-45.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I think i am the resident Burst pimp here. I always recommend that to everyone who has problems with slow speeds.

The link for the burst site is here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well I just linked to the page that I got it from.
    And yep its definately doing the job for me.

And if you are the Burst pimp here then answer this.
    How can I limit my upload speed/amount while still ensuring decent download speeds.Im on Eircoms home starter package and a with a 1 gig cap Im trying to limit what I download each month(because of the uploads).

• Advertisement

Right... flick open the main burst window, and go to the monitor tab.

Double click on your torrent file that you want to limit the uploads on. A dos-like window should appear. Use the up/down arrow to change hte max upload speed of that torrent. Using this method you can set the upload as low as 5kb/sec.

Alternatively, to set the max upload speed BEFORE you start downloading/.resuming a torrent just load it up into Burst, and in the main window (the Seed/Leech window) look in the bottom right for the Max Upload Speed button. Its marked "Max Upload Speed" :p

Just uncheck the "unlimited" box and then set the speed to whatever you want. Using this method the least you can set the upload too is 10kb/sec.

Alternatively again.... Download NetLimiter, and use that to limit the uploads of bittorrent. Then you can set it as low as 1kb/sec. I'd say 4kb/sec per torrent would be the least you could go while still getting good download speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i use shareza for my torrents,a ll of which are legitimate. it does me dandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Torrentstorm. Brilliant i think.

d/l at up to 125k, as long as you give it a decent upload speed and leave it alone for a few minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Azurues is the one for me . I have downloaded some files at upto 125KB a sec. Sometimes I have also downloaded a file as slow as 6KB a sec but this only happens if there are no seeders and a few peers uploading.

Emule is too slow, unless you leave it running for a week then it starts to pick up speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 grrnnw

Thanks for all the advice. I switched to 'burst' at the weekend - and it seems faster alright!

Does anyone use newsreaders to download binaries? Anyone got any advice on which one's they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

while we're on the topic of bT, can someone send me via PM some good torrent links or sites if its ok with the mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

suprnova bittorrent are the only two words you need. Please make sure you only download legal applications. Word has it that there are some illegal files on that site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Reading this post reminded me of a Burst/BT related query.

When I start a BT download in Burst it lists the number of seeders and leechers on the tracker.
    However, this number is always different to the number of peers/seeders I am connected to once my download is underway.

Is this normal?

Yes, it makes sense. You will probably never connect to all the peers/seeds that are on a torrent, especially if there are over 50 seeds, and 100 peers.

When you download, only the peers/seeds which you have contacted are listed in the Burst download screen , so all the ones you never contacted are not listed.

i hope that makes sense

Thanks Mutant_Fruit- thats what I thought . Probably a question for a BT dev forum but just curious- how is it decided what peers/seeds you connect to - random?

And also, if there are 10 seeds and 362 leechers will i not be guaranteed to connect to all 10 seeds?

Think about it... 10 seeds. Supposing each have 10 slots for uploading, thats a max of 100 people they can connect to (10 seeds X 10 slots). Therefore its quite possible you will never connect to a seed, but download the whole file from the other peers.

Hehe - makes sense when someone spells it out for me in black and white :D

I should also point out that i've only just started using BT again after a 12 month broadband hiatus. i preferred it when there was just the standard BT client - none of this limiting leechers and upload speeds.

I found that speeds were a lot faster then - anyone agree/disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If you use the super web site mentioned above be sure to check the forums before that big download (linux of course), there can be applications or other files *cough* that may be fake (as in not being the same as described), have viruses/trojans, be a password protected zip file or be in a different language .... 99%+ of files are ok though ....

And for the record I like shadows experimental, simple and easy to use, much quicker getting up to full speed. ....

There are oRgInisAAtions (yea I know thats shit spelling, but I've no dictionaMPrAAy :p) that have vested interests may want your IP to do nasty things with, I would recommend that you look at bluetack.co.uk for protowall and blocklist manager (win2k and XP, have a look for peerguardian for other MS OS's), there are good installation guides on the site, you may need them ..... protowall is like a firewall, stopping connections from IP's that are known to belong to the nasty people (and some others that would not appear to be nasty, but I may be wrong) .... the list of IP's is gathered from several files/sources and collated by the blocklist manager (some of the sources are IANA reserved address ranges, which can play havoc with your network, but you can deselect the IANA private file from the list of sources), which can export the list in several formats for several different p2p blocking tools. Remember to update the list in protowall after creating the .p2p file for protowall.

the mods should know the files mentioned are freeware privacy enhancing applications

I hope you guys are sharing as much as your downloading, if we all stopped the second we got the file no-one would get anything, we'd all be on the bittorrent forums saying "can someone please seed for a little while, I'm stuck at 96% (actually 2.3%)" and then fuck off as soon as you finish ....

Sorry for the meandering post .... wrecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

the winXP builtin firewall might be causing your downloads to slow, should try turning it off. shadows BT is best ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yes the xp firewall completely messes it up and must be turned off, i also like the shadow client

and even if you have opened the ports in your firewall have you put a pin hole in you modem for those ports also?

• Advertisement

burst is built on shadow's client, so i don't think there's too much difference between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Shadow's Client has evolved into BitTornado.

www.bittornado.com

It's always been my client of choice, and it's been improving a lot over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think a good rule is to upload at least the amount you download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

tbh I think you're wasting your time with Peerguardian or Protowall with a blocklist. Firstly because all the RIAA or whoever need to do is query the tracker for a list of IPs of people downloading torrent files, they now know who is downloading an illegal material. If they decide they want to contact your PC for whatever reason they could easily use a public proxy to mask their IP address?
    I suffered Peerguardian on my PC for a few weeks before deciding it was bit pointless, and it's a memory and processor hog :p . If you read through the various forums you'll find PLENTY of people who have received letters from their ISPs (who have usually been contacted by a third party) for downloading illegal material even though they were running Peerguardian or Protowall.
    Movies and TV series seem to be their main targets at the moment, so if you want to cut down the chances of trouble avoid these. Of course all they do is send you a warning letter telling you to delete what you've downloaded and not to do it again or you'll be kicked off the ISP, you're not gonna go to prison for it (well not yet anyway :P). I haven't heard of anybody in Ireland receiving letters yet...

i was under the impression a few people on Irish Broadband were contacted about illegal activities. But nothing more than a warning letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Also if you download a recent release you'll be running a higher risk of getting caught. So stick to asian movies that'll never come here (a lot of them are a lot better than what gets here from the states) and older movies.

Advertisement