Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same old, same old

Options
  • 14-05-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I was in Gamestop on Henry st. yesterday looking at what's on offer. I havn't bought a new one in a while and I've been a bit out of touch with what's hot. Anyway, I went in with the hopes that I was going to see something new that would make me think 'I want this sucker!' but I have to say I came away a bit depressed.
    I have a PS2, a PC and a GBA and you'd think that I'd be able to come across something for one of them. But nothing I came across in the shop seemed remotely 'new'. I'm talking new type of game here. Something thats never been done before. But all I saw were rehashes of all the old game. Sure you've got some new features and all that but really, whats so different (and not graphically) from the games we had 4 years ago?
    We have games from the different genre, FPS, MMO etc. and all the games in their respective genre are so damn similar to the next it's getting ridiculous.
    Apart from introducing vehicles into the FPS arena the games are basically the same, and the vehicles arn't particularly a new thing. We've had them since Goldeneye on the N64 at least.
    I don't think I've bought a brand new release in ages. I keep buying the golden oldies on the budget titles.
    What I want is something new and fresh that will entertain and challenge me. Is there anything like that out there or would I have to make it myself if I wanted that?
    /rant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Far Cry if you don't have it already.
    the first of a new breed of fps's.

erm... prince of persia?

you're right, there's been sweet **** all originality over the past couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

download DosBox and Cannon Fodder for the PC.

Edge of Chaos and Startopia are two good games, both on budget too I believe.

Wait till you see Ground Control 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Originally posted by tman
    you're right, there's been sweet **** all originality over the past couple of years [/B]

Black and White.

Now you either loved or hated the game I think, I was the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Maybe don't look for new original games. Try to find some of the older classic games. Does it have to be a PC only game? If not get an emulator and play your console games on your PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Theres not much originality on the PS2 or PC at the moment. However there are quite a few great titles for the GBA. You should try the brilliant wario ware or mario and luigi.

The only console with a wealth of original titles is the gamecube. They are dirt cheap now so no excuse not getting one. Also Ninja Gaiden is out on the xbox. Just like Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube it will remind why you love videogames so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The two consoles your plugging Retrogamer are the two I don't own or even have access to.
    iirc Wario Ware is a bunch of little games in one package. Doesn't do much for me :dunno:
    The thing about the GBA that gets me is the ridiculous prices.
    As for the GC being dirt cheap .... Only if you've got money. I might be able to stretch my budget to buy a new game in a few weeks but right now it's tight!

How does Prince of Persia match up with it's original predecessor? Is it still the same kinda puzzel game or has it gone down the 'kill everyone around you' route.

Emulators just don't work for me. The old console games just don't play right if you don't have the right joypad. I will have to look into DosBox mind you.

How is Far Cry a new breed? Having looked at the screen shots it seems fairly run of the mill.

Ground Control II website is taking a ridiculous amount of time to load. Damn flash websites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Raz
    How does Prince of Persia match up with it's original predecessor? Is it still the same kinda puzzel game or has it gone down the 'kill everyone around you' route.
    a little from column a... a little from column b...
    the puzzles are great. but i don't like the combat system, i ended up using a trainer for the pc version because it gets too hard.
    brilliant game though, the dagger of time adds a hell of a lot to it.
    How is Far Cry a new breed? Having looked at the screen shots it seems fairly run of the mill.

far cry is a nice balence of scripted scenes and true ai
    it's the open-ness of the outdoor environments that do it for me.
    there are normally 3+ ways of approaching an enemy base. playing back over the first few levels, i was amazed at just how many possibilities there are.
    there's nothing quite like sniping the driver and gunner on a gunboat & then burning out to it on your blowup dinghy to steal it:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have your eyes on Prince of Persia than you should get it. It really is a brilliant game. It plays beautifully and the puzzles are great fun to work out. The combat however is a little repetitive but it never spoils the game. Also I forgot to mention the criminally underrated Beyond Good and Evil for PS2 and PC. Another great game from Ubisoft and it's also quite original. It has got great reviews but sold SFA so you might be lucky to pick it up cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Battlefield.
    X2. A little boring at first, but it will take over your life.

Well you really are trying to sell Far Cry tman. You give a good pitch though :) I'll look into it more.
    Prince of Persia does sound more my thing. Is the combat system any worse than the Enter The Matrix one? On the PS2 anyway it was pretty rubbish.
    I'll give Beyond Good and Evil a look up too. The possibility of a decent game with a reasonable price tag is tempting.

I always wanted to get my teeth into Battlefield but I never really got the chance, and it feels kinda past it's sell by date now with 2 (or is it 3) expansions released. Any more info on X2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

far cry and prince of persia are good, haven't played beyond good and evil yet but it is on sale in dixons and currys for less than €15 (got mine for 9.99) for PS2, prince of persia is 25 in smiths gamezone

It seems Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia together could make a very nice little gift for me :) Both for less than a new release ..... Sounds good to me :)

The combat system of POP is far superior to the one in Do Not Enter the Matrix. It involves more than just bashing the buttons together. Enter the Matrix is a travesity that should not be compared to the brilliant PoP.

Oh. I'll sit here quietly and pretend I never said that then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Well....the original Battlefield42 is still a quality game. But Battlefield Vietnam was just released with a newly worked up engine. And the with the huge modding community the game is no where near past its sell by date.

X2 - Kinda like an RPG set in space. You always play from your spaceship. Go around trading stuff, gettin in fights, going on missions, buying more ships, buying factorys, starting wars. Its pretty cool, you start off with one of the smallest ships and a couple of missions and you make money and work your way up. The universe is huge. You have to have alot of patience at the start, but once you get into it its brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i was disappointed with x^2, i couldnt fly into planets athmosphere, or walk around in fp view

Well I guess I might have been a bit harsh on Battlefield. I need a better PC to run it though. This one just doesn't cut it.
    X2 sounds interesting and I wouldn't be too bothered by not being able to take a fp view walk around the planets. I'd like to get my teeth into a good tactical game, they tend to give you that warm fuzzy feeling. :)

Well I guess I'm not so depressed about the current games available anymore but only about 12 or so games have been mentioned as good games in this thread and not all of them recent releases. It's a shame that so many games get churned out and yet very few of them are worth their price tag. I always find games based on movies are of this cheap ass calibre, games hastilly thrown together in order to cash in on the movies success.
    Such is life though I suppose. You gotta sift through the coppers to find the silver penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Don't forget Painkiller ! I know everyone keeps saying it's just Serious Sam in another guise but it's a hell of a lot of fun and looks incredibly good while it's at it. It's the first game in a long while that I intend playing from start to finish.

Oh and the multiplayer is incredibly fast paced too which makes a nice change :)

Advertisement