Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Country Nightclubs & National Anthem

• 14-05-2004 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

What the hell is that all about ? There you are drunk as a skunk having trouble with gravity, the 'slow set' (another country phenomena) finishes and in kicks the national anthem. The lights come on and you realise you have been talking to a fire extinguisher for the past hour and as you survey the foul smelling sweat box you feel so proud seeing bodies in a heap of puke and spilt redbull and vodka attempting to acknowledge the nations hymn ! It has to be the most disrespectful trait of a country nightclub.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Desperate.

Anytime I was ever in a night club that did that I never went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What part of the country is this? I've been to a few poxy nightclubs around the south east (carlow/kilkenny), and they don't seem to play the anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

im sick of it too. altho round these parts, its usually just on a saturday night that they do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cant say i've heard the national anthem in a nightclub but i wish they'd get rid of that poxy slow set :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

you mean the erection section?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

What part of the country is this? I've been to a few poxy nightclubs around the south east (carlow/kilkenny), and they don't seem to play the anthem.

thats very careful phrasing..."seem to play"..... so there is the possibilty that they did play it but you where to busy talking to the fire extinguiser !

pretty much everywhere from galway to donegal to cork to wexford

poxy slow set

legendry stuff, i can see it now Sasha or Basement Jaxx as resident in "bozo's" (guess where that is) and after wipping the crowd into a frenzy kicking into Celine Dion (is that how you spell it). If that doesn't do it for ya nothing will !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah the slow set, the national Anthem but not forgetting the ever-present "take me home, country roads"
    One for the lad to really get themselves in the mood for drunked head-beating on the way home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well in Langtons in Kilkenny they always end with the anthmen, and said Poxy slow set is to cool everyone down and get people to start leaving. Especially in Rough areas they will put on a few slow songs to stop **** kickings starting.

John

thats one reason why they play them but I think its more to do with the fact that they are just out of touch with whats what and whats not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    the ever-present "take me home, country roads"

And what about the 'who the **** is Alice ' clubs ?

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Fudger
    thats one reason why they play them but I think its more to do with the fact that they are just out of touch with whats what and whats not.
    According to who? If people keep going there then they're hardly likely to change it unless enough people want it changed (and tell them this).

If the people going there don't have a problem with it then what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

They used to to it in the Bauhaus down in Naas, and I think they do it at the Soundhouse in the Johnstown in as well. Not sure if Time does it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Was in Tracks in Portrush a while back, and talking to he D.J they play Cornation Street theme at the end to clear everyone out!! It works like a treat!

As for the erection section it is a bit teadious, but it is good confirmation that if you are still dancing at that time you're getting your hole!! :D

As for the Anthem, most clubs I've been in have played it at the end of the night! Dont realy have any problem with it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think the play the anthem in Quinns in Drumcondra sometimes. Pain in the tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

where i live theres two night clubs in the one complex. one is for the over 25s and plays all the oldies for the oldies (majority in there are around 40) then theres the larger nightclub for the younger, posing crowd that plays all the dance crap.
    national anthem has never been played in either. in the oldies place they play "thank you for the music" by Abba every single time without fail, as the last song!

tragic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

No matter how small the pub/club in Donegal, if they play music they finish the night with Amhrán na bhFiann and you're expected to sing along. I don't mind it I have to say.

That said, if you hear an anthem in Belfast (particulrly God Save the Queen) you *KNOW* you're in the wrong pub, but you should stand tall and proud, and resist the urge to get the **** out right there and then.

I've always missed them not playing the Anthem in the Cities. Its nice to stand and pay respect for having a good night. Plus its an idea time to check for late night pulls.

Theres not many places that do it anymore that i've seen. Mainly its the counties that have the highest county/country pride. The "republician" counties. Tipperary, Cork etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    That said, if you hear an anthem in Belfast (particulrly God Save the Queen) you *KNOW* you're in the wrong pub, but you should stand tall and proud, and resist the urge to get the **** out right there and then.

I dunno how I'd react if I heard that anthem. Sure, I was born in the UK, but considering I've been exposed to Ireland the past 17 years, since I moved over here. Actually, I'd be a little surprised to hear it, since I'm more used to hearing the Irish national anthem... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Lump
    Well in Langtons in Kilkenny they always end with the anthmen, and said Poxy slow set is to cool everyone down and get people to start leaving. Especially in Rough areas they will put on a few slow songs to stop **** kickings starting.
    Tends to make sense. I'd finish with a few old Danny Kaye numbers myself but then I've an oddness reputation to maintain.

Originally posted by Kennett
    I dunno how I'd react if I heard that anthem. Sure, I was born in the UK, but considering I've been exposed to Ireland the past 17 years, since I moved over here. Actually, I'd be a little surprised to hear it, since I'm more used to hearing the Irish national anthem... lol
    How would you react if you heard La Marseillaise in a French nightclub?

According to who? If people keep going there then they're hardly likely to change it unless enough people want it changed (and tell them this).

I think you are looking at this very differently to me. There is nothing wrong with the anthem everyone is very proud of their national anthem and I like to hear it. The issue I have is that it is only supposed to be played at special irish occassions and events not in a piece of sh*te night club as if its just some pissy britney spears single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Not that I have a problem either ways but can someone explain to me the problem of a National Anthem being played at the end of the Niteclub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Fudger
    The issue I have is that it is only supposed to be played at special irish occassions and events not in a piece of sh*te night club as if its just some pissy britney spears single.
    But then playing it before a Carlow V Longford football game is also taking the piss as that's hardly a special occasion!:D

Seriously though who says that about special occasions only and who classifies what a special occasion is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Listen... if you mucksavages can play your national anthem in your "ballygohowfukingbackwardscanyoureallyget" nightclubs.... there is no reason we cant play God save the queen in ours.

I suppose we should let the brit, union-jack-waving, vindaloo eating, skin-head, larger-drinkin, tatood animals listen to the anthem they like best!

Originally posted by sceptre
    How would you react if you heard La Marseillaise in a French nightclub?

Um... I'm not sure... If that's the French national anthem, I guess since it's France, I'd deal with it... I guess hearing God Save the Queen in Ireland, be it North or South throws me off a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    über alles in der Welt,
    wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
    brüderlich zusammenhält.
    Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
    von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    über alles in der Welt!

if you try that in Germany we'll get arrested. I should know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i worked in a pretty famous niteclub in meath for years as a barman and i always thought it pretty odd that the national anthem was played... why? there is no need!! As one of the previous posters said, its not as though its a national occassion of any importance to warrant playing the national anthem!!

One thing about the country niteclub you will always get is the "80's/90's big hair rock triple play"

Without fail these songs will be played in order:

Bon Jovi - Living on a prayer
    Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
    Guns 'n Roses - Sweet Child Of Mine

very annoying.. even though i like G n' R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i see no problem with the national anthem.. but have to say in pedigree (local barn), i can't remember if they play it or not.. trying to think last 15 mins.. i must usually be in a state by then..

but i know what ya mean by this lol
    Originally posted by Third_Echelon

very annoying.. even though i like G n' R
    :D

cept out usual ones are

bryan adams - summers of 69
    john cougar meloncamp - hurt so good..

just to get everyone warmed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

oh, it's all coming flooding back to me ( like vomit ) all those horrifically drunken nights in the beacon during the holidays.... bad things happen.... and then they play amhran na bfhiann at one million decibels before you order too much food in the abrakestabra and vom all the way home.

those were the days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Listen... if you mucksavages can play your national anthem in your "ballygohowfukingbackwardscanyoureallyget" nightclubs.... there is no reason we cant play God save the queen in ours.

And stand tall and proud you shoud btw.

Ya in your own country I've no problem with it!

cept out usual ones are

bryan adams - summers of 69
    john cougar meloncamp - hurt so good..

just to get everyone warmed up

then enter: air guitar playing hicks...:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

air guitar playing hicks...:ninja:

only the laois people..

(no offence) :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lainey
    only the laois people..

(no offence) :D

i dont think they can read down there... so i think you are safe enough :D :ninja:

But then playing it before a Carlow V Longford football game is also taking the piss as that's hardly a special occasion!
    Seriously though who says that about special occasions only and who classifies what a special occasion is?

I def agree with the Carlow v Longford issue ;)

who classifies what a special occasion is?.......... well that maybe open to debate but i think a drunken nightclub being a special occasion can be ruled out for a start.

ehhh didnt you lot officially recognise Northern Ireland as part of the UK when you voted for articles 2 and 3 to be amended back in 1998?

hmmmmmm this is getting a little off the beaten irish track.................. if we had a big chainsaw we could go our seperate ways, could be a solution, you guys get pushed up a bit your happy were more than happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I may be at risk of sounding like a country hick but I thought every nightclub played Amhran na bhFiann at the end of the night. But then I'm still just a young country boyo. Only been out in Athlone, Tullamore and Moate (Well in Europe too but I wouldn expect Amhran na bhFiann there) .My local, Bozos of Athlone (mentioned earlier in the thread) doesn't usually play it straight after a slow set though. They tend have a slow set for a few songs up til about 2.15, then some fairly hard dance songs for the last few minutes before the National anthem and everyone falling home.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What's the big problem? Amhran na bhFiann's great when you're drunk - i'm never all that patriotic otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Youre completely missing the point young man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

i dont think they can read down there... so i think you are safe enough :D :ninja:

Here, f**king watch yourself there, sunshine! I was well able to read that! :D

I'll tell you what's worse than playing the national anthem in a nightclub. Playing a dance version of the national anthem. I swear to God, I've actually heard this done in a nightclub before. As if the D.J. thought playing a dance version of it in a nightclub would somehow be better and be more in keeping with the "atmosphere" of the club. :rolleyes:

And it sounded bloody ridiculous, too!

Oh, and speaking of places that play the likes of "Who The F**K Is Alice" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" in the middle of a set, what about the places that play "The Fields Of Athenry" (usually some form of dance version, too)? Anyone ever hear of this phenonenom of the crowd suddenly adding their own bits to it, e.g.:

Song playing: "Low lie the fields of Athenry. Where once we watched the small free birds fly."

Crowd suddenly shouts: "HEY BABY, LET YOUR KNICKERS FLY!"

Song: "Our love was on the wing."

Crowd: "SINN FEIN!"

Song: "We had dreams and songs to sing."

Crowd: "IRA!"

Song: "It's so lonely around the fields of Athenry."

F**king stupid! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Crowd suddenly shouts: "HEY BABY, LET YOUR KNICKERS FLY!"

Song: "Our love was on the wing."

Crowd: "SINN FEIN!"

Song: "We had dreams and songs to sing."

Crowd: "IRA!"

Song: "It's so lonely around the fields of Athenry."

F**king stupid! :mad: [/B]

Jesus christ i hate when that starts! Just shut the **** up ye ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This thread had me in stitches laughing :D

I haven't heard the anthem played round where I live (drogheda) since about 10 years ago when I went to the teenage disco's!

And you all forgot the CLASSIC track 'Maniac' (not the crap version that was out a few years ago, another one that sounds like scooter is singing it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Oh Christ, you did have to go and mention that "Maniac" sh!te, didn't you? I'm talking about the Mark McCabe one here, not the Scooter one.

I remember when that first came out a few years ago all the D.J.s in the clubs used to play it (well, around here, anyway) and try to do the Mark McCabe-rapping bit, and all failed spectacularly. It was embarrasing to listen to. But, what was even more embarrasing was some of the idiots in the crowd who would be trying to do the "crowd" bit in the song along with the lame D.J. Seriously sad. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

One thing about the country niteclub you will always get is the "80's/90's big hair rock triple play"

You're obviously out of touch. These days they play Counting Crows - Mr Jones after G'n'R and skip on the Bryan Adams.

And as for the Fields of Athenry, if you're not sloshed by that point, its time to leave. They don't usually play it in Donegal though, generally they play Goats Don't Shave - Las Vegas in the Hills of Donegal instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by pigeonbutler
    I may be at risk of sounding like a country hick but I thought every nightclub played Amhran na bhFiann at the end of the night. But then I'm still just a young country boyo. Only been out in Athlone, Tullamore and Moate (Well in Europe too but I wouldn expect Amhran na bhFiann there) .My local, Bozos of Athlone (mentioned earlier in the thread) doesn't usually play it straight after a slow set though. They tend have a slow set for a few songs up til about 2.15, then some fairly hard dance songs for the last few minutes before the National anthem and everyone falling home.

(Bozos of Athlone - jaysus! - been there, done that, got the stitches :D )

In modern European cities e.g. Dublin, London, Munich, Brussels they tend not to play any national anthem. As someone said its only a nightclub/pub not a national public occasion and therefore isn't a national anthem a bit out of place?

I've noticed this in about 50% of pubs & nightclubs I've been in outside Dublin and the smaller the town the more likely they are to do it.

It usually takes me a minute or 2 before I recognise what it is anyway because it's usually knocked out by a couple of guys on a guitar & keyboards. If you have to play it there's CDs you can get nowadays with competent orchestral renditions of any national anthem. Having to stand for this mutilated version you usually hear is a bit like standing to salute a cheap plastic tricolour (one of those awful ones you used to see with the orange replaced by Papal yellow) or I dunno, running a tricolour dish-cloth up the flag pole. A bit o'respect lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

theres nothing worse than those ignorant scumbags that start up with their "sinn fein" "ira" bullshit when fields of athenry comes on. Makes the 'ol blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by rymus
    theres nothing worse than those ignorant scumbags that start up with their "sinn fein" "ira" bullshit when fields of athenry comes on. Makes the 'ol blood boil.

Re-pub-licans :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement