Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Country Nightclubs & National Anthem

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Originally posted by rymus
    theres nothing worse than those ignorant scumbags that start up with their "sinn fein" "ira" bullshit when fields of athenry comes on. Makes the 'ol blood boil.

here, here!

I've only ever been in one place that played the national anthem at closing time and that was down in ardmore... what an inbreed hell-hole that place is, i hate it but keep going back every year cause one of the lads owns a house down there! Deliverence comes to mind when i think of that place! :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Not that I have a problem either ways but can someone explain to me the problem of a National Anthem being played at the end of the Niteclub?

It's an overly nationialistic and out-moded tradition that the powers that be should remove from the curriculum in DJ school. Even if they just played it without the whole 'keep quiet and stand to attention' ****e it would be something. I've seen idiots gesturing at other idiots to stand up right away and do their civic duty while the anthem plays, the expression of nationalistic fervour on their face leaving no doubt as to what the outcome would be if the offender didn't rise immediately. In other countries you have to do your x years of national service to your country, here you have to drink all night and then give the fascist salute at the end.

And it's not just the country dives that play it, I've heard it at the end of the set in the decidedly urban 'Toast' in Rathmines. Of course the argument could be made that any pub/club in Rathmines is really a country pub at heart, the worst offender being Rody Bolands (sp?).

(apologies for bump)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Ive never heard of this tradition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

Song: "Our love was on the wing."

Crowd: "SINN FEIN!"

Song: "We had dreams and songs to sing."

Crowd: "IRA!"

Song: "It's so lonely around the fields of Athenry."

in the north : sinn fein is sung twice.. cos we know that sinn fein are the ra.. no need to seperate them.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I hate it too, but I never stand up. As was stated its out-dated and a bit pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

i think it's great 'cos all the muppets are busy singing the anthem while i go and get my coat! no Que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Originally posted by impr0v
    It's an overly nationialistic and out-moded tradition that the powers that be should remove from the curriculum in DJ school. Even if they just played it without the whole 'keep quiet and stand to attention' ****e it would be something. I've seen idiots gesturing at other idiots to stand up right away and do their civic duty while the anthem plays, the expression of nationalistic fervour on their face leaving no doubt as to what the outcome would be if the offender didn't rise immediately. In other countries you have to do your x years of national service to your country, here you have to drink all night and then give the fascist salute at the end.

Here here. There's nothing worse that getting the evil eye from some scumbag for "not respecting my country". The same scumbag that will respect his country by leaving the nightclub, puking everywhere, throwing his curry tray on the ground and kicking the bejaysus out of some poor citizen on the way home.

If I want to show respect to my country, I'll do it on my own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

yeah the roselawn (if you people know, you know)
    used to play it years ago,
    me and a mate used to sing the english national anthem while people i call my friends, stood up with hand on heart and sang along...

laughable, i really agree with the post before mine actually (robbie1876)

Plus, does anyone know all the words to it? i dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i dont know the national anthem in irish or english......jeez i have never been to a place that played it... only the usual crap but that was when i was a little teenie at the shyte discoes 4 or 5 yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

Well in the foundry the national anthem on a sat nite seems to be that 'Pizza Pie' song. Gets a good reaction :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I believe one of the policies of the Monster Raving Looney Party is to replace "God Save the Queen" as the UK's national anthem with "Do the Funky Gibbon".

Any party which promised the same thing in this country would certainly get my vote.

Advertisement