Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Double Adapter

Options
  • 14-05-2004 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a device that would allow me to connect two optical inputs (Sky+ and PS2) to the single optical input on my amp?

There is only one coaxial input and one optical input available on the amp and they are both already in use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not use the CD in or one of the others?
    Only need the sound cable from a RGB.
    Unless your amp has only 2 inputs :/

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have the sound from the PS2 running through the amp already, but it is only stereo (pro-logic'ed stereo - granted). Was just wondering if it is possible to get the digital sound.

Amp has one co-axial input and one optical input. Both are in use already (DVD & Sky+).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fazer

Shane OC,

Would this be any use to you ?

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=4256&type=6&path=11x153x601

Regards,

Fazer.

What amp is it ?

kdjac

Fazer, that is almost exactly what I need, but I am lazy :D and want one that would switch automatically.

It is a Sony STRDE475S amp.

• Advertisement

ShaneOC.

Sorry, you're SOL. I've searched for an automatic switch, with no luck, if there's a optical one on the market I couldn't find it.

Fazer.

Me confused that amp has 4 digital surround sound inputs , 3 scart and 1 optical ,Sky + will be fine running into it with a Scart 5.1 an all that.

Why the need for 2 opticals?

kdjac

Not certain about that. As far as I can recall the only digital inputs are the one coaxial and the one optical.

I didn't think that dolby digital could go through a scart lead, but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Me confused that amp has 4 digital surround sound inputs , 3 scart and 1 optical ,Sky + will be fine running into it with a Scart 5.1 an all that.

Why the need for 2 opticals?

kdjac

It only has 1 optical and 1 co-ax. It also has a 5.1 input for a pre-processed signal. You cannot send 5.1 down SCART, only pure digital connections.

MrP

Does sky+/ps2 not send that out ? (dont have either)

kdjac

• Advertisement

Naw. You can just get left and right through a SCART lead. If you source doesn't have DD or DTS thats OK cos you can just take your stereo signal and give it some Pro Logic or Neo Cinema processing.

Also amps tend not to have SCART connectors, ShaneOC's doesn't, so you need a separate audio feed.

MrP

That's what I thought :D. So it's back to the double adaptor for an optical connection (or a coaxial one as I have an optical to coaxial convertor gizmo). Ideally it must be able to detect which input is providing the signal and route the signal to the output (if you follow me) and all this should happen automatically. Anything for around €10 will do :D:D:D.

Weird i had that Amp and had my DVD player going tru a Scart and got 5.1 and DTS ,used to use a Optical with my Panasonic DVD player but new crappy player didnt have one so used Scart and 5.1/DTS was perfect.

Strange that
    Sold it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158328

kdjac

kdjac.

A little off course for the thread.

If I understand you correctly you were able to connect your DVD player to your amp using a scart cable and got DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.
    You didn't have to use an electrical co-ax or a optical connection.
    Is this correct ???

Fazer.

I'll have a look at the instruction book to see if there is any mention of this. Don't mean to be a doubting Thomas but are you sure you weren't just getting pro-logic'ed sound? Was the big blue light on and was the display showing Dolby-Digital or DTS?

I too am slightly confused now. If you used a SCART then there was no connection to the AMP. How could the Amp decode a sound stream that it wasn't even connected to?

MrP

Not sure not now she says we never used amp with new player (reason for selling) i think we did but not sure now ,my new player has no optical out but has a 5.1/DTS decoder.

Shane check i 99% sure i got 5.1 out of that amp without using Coaxial/optical as i couldn use Albla 45 player as it has no optical only a scart.

kdjac

With that amp you would have been able to connect the DVD player with the onboard decoder directly to the 5.1 inputs. Is this what you are talking about? If you did this the blue light would not come on as the amp is not decoding only amplifying.

KdjaC, If you connect your DVD player to you TV by SCART there is no input to the amp. The amp cannot decode a signal it does not receive. The amp does not have a SCART input.

You have 3 options for putting 5.1 through an amp. 1)Optical 2)Co-ax 3)5.1 inputs with the decoding done off board. That is it.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's a remote control optical selector, for lazy gits... :D
    http://www.b-tech-int.com/BTZ-42.html

and it's a steal at just £60 sterling: http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/downloads/dnl_files/pdfs/cat/Kcat06.pdf

That's nearly it now. £60 is a bit steep though :(.

Tight lazy git here :D.

• Advertisement

You should have spent a few more quid on the amp. The 333 has about 8 optical ins.:D

MrP

Have had the amp for a few years now. Bought it as part of the HTK475 cinema kit. It was either that or the HTK215 and I went for the expensive one.

At the end of the day, I'm not hugely worried about having digital sound from the PS2. If I could get it cheap and easy I would. If I can't then so be it. If and when I replace the amp I'll get one with more optical inputs :D.

Do PS2 games have DD soundtracks?

MrP

Some of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some are DTS too.

Advertisement