Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to particular site (Eircom BB)

• 14-05-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi folks

The owner of a website I designed called this morning saying that he couldn't access the site or email, but he doesn't have a problem connecting to other sites.

All seems fine here and he later found that he could access via a dial up connection.
    Since then, someone else rang him to say they couldn't get to that particular site either and they are also on Eircom BroadBand.

Anyone any thoughts?
    Been in touch with Eircom but they weren't much help.

Cheers

Gary

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im on eircom broadband and have from time to time had trouble accessing some sites which others havent and it can be annoying. sometimes i cant webpages at all and when i restart my computer they work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garygo

Cheers Gonzo

After a lot of different techs, we finally got one that admitted it was probably their fault.
    He said it might be a "filtering problem".

I don't know what that means exactly...

They didn't give any ETA as to when it would be sorted either :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm having this trouble this evening. In my case I can't access Yahoo mail or Sky News.

I know both sites are OK as I can access them if I set my Internet connection options to connect through a proxy server.

Its a bit annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im having trouble with eircom bb tonight

i cant ping game servers, or pretty much most of my list but i know they are working as i know other ppl on there joining from irc, i also cant join teamspeak at all

i thought my inet connection was bad to jolt but i can get on the jolt webpage fine, webpages are generally working ok but have no idea what the problem is

first time ive had problems with bb atall since ive got it, but it is a bit frustrating i must say, any one else had this and know how to fix it?

what did you put in as the proxy server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

the problem is due to bad routing in eircom's 83.70.*.* IP scope's, however there is a workaround

A lot of my clients cannot access www.Iquate.com for example.
    But if you put into the proxy settings, the server: 'webcache.eircom.net' port '82' you will be able to access the site.

This problem has been going on for some time, been about 4 months since I first seen it but I do not think the eircom lads are taking this problem seriously enough yet as I've reported the problem a number of times to corporate support :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cheers Ando, thats helped alot, can access all webbys now:)
    as far jolt well thats a jolt problem today, ive never had rotten pings till today but its only using jolt servers, pinging up to 12ms higher than normal:(. All other UK sourced pings are perfect.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms 83-70-64-1.bas2.srl.dublin.eircom.net [83.70.64.
    1]
    3 23 ms 22 ms 22 ms ge0-1.edge1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.6
    5]
    4 33 ms 37 ms 36 ms pos0-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [159.134.191.
    234]
    5 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
    6 46 ms 44 ms 47 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'm getting much the same problems as Big Chief. Can only connect to 3/15 servers on my game favourite list, unable to connect to ventrilo and a few websites weren't coming up.

I tried using the webcache.eircom.net:82 proxy but it didn't work. Know any other fixes or anything that could help?

Originally posted by Enlil_Nick
    I'm getting much the same problems as Big Chief. Can only connect to 3/15 servers on my game favourite list, unable to connect to ventrilo and a few websites weren't coming up.

I tried using the webcache.eircom.net:82 proxy but it didn't work. Know any other fixes or anything that could help?

if i reboot my modem i can get servers up for certain games, and even ts working but yet i cant connect to freelancer server (jolt one that i always play on)... swg/hl/ut2k4 is fine though..

so i reboot the modem again, i can connect to the freelancer server, but most of my hl/ut2k4 servers dont work and i cant connect to ts

atm im having to reboot the modem till one or the other works which can get EXTREMELY annoying....

eircoms support was "well we just make sure the webbys are working and thats about it" <--...........

i have the cayman-3000 dsl modem, could it be that thats causing these problems? (i got it off eircom when i got my dsl package)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Happening me all day sites i cant get onto

www.modtheater.com
    http://www.slsk.org

and a few others

www.goldwave.com

Where you entering the new proxy ?

kdjac

now no matter how many times i reboot its just fecking me about...

been on the phone to eircom for ages this morning who insist my problem is the 83. address range, although yesterday was the first time this problem occured and im sure i was on that address range before..

they said to keep reconnecting till i get on a different address range, what i ask you is what address range is it im looking for?

i must have reconnected about 75+ times today and every time coming back on the 83. address range, is there even another address range or was that just to fob me off and get me off the phone?

• Advertisement

Annoying the hell out of me , as it seems half the internet is down to me.
    Me own bloody website and i cant access it.
    Cant ring them cos i havent got a modem from them yet and wont be charged for DSL until i do so i on free internet atm.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Thanks for the proxy address Ando. Thats much better than what I'd been using.

Just discovered that I can connect to more servers with webcache.eircom.net:82 not in proxy than with it in. :/

Any more fixes or the name of someone I should contact in Eircom support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

I can connect to every site on the web that I've tried EXCEPT my 4 sites, ftps and e-mails.

FFS!

that webcache.eircom..... fix only works for webpages - anyone know any fixes for FTP and POP3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Where you entering the new proxy ?

kdjac

Each internet browser should have an option for entering a proxy address m8. In internet explorer its, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN, tick the 'Use proxy server' and enter the server details I typed in earlier in the thread ;)

Thanks was wondering cos thats already set as default thought it went elsewhere, still only seeing half of the internet.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

i entered that proxy setting and all but still nothing...

www.filefont.com
    www.skysportsnews.com

to name but a few, im gonna presume this is a temporary eircom fault and i needent go around looking for fixes?

nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I've had Eircom for years now and I have not had any problems connecting to any sites. I have no problems connecting to any of the sites listed here. Could it be a router or probably a particular exchange problem?

today for first time ever i cant seem to connect to jolt or most english servers, pings come at 9999 with 100% packet loss but they are displaying that people are playing there. Ive no problems with uk2 tho.

Maybe its a some part of the exchange coz I dont seem to have any problems.

• Advertisement

ive lost all adslguide.org.uk servers and 4u-servers.co.uk also:(

Pretty sure it's a fault on one of the exchanges. Using a tracert in command prompt on some of the servers I can't connect to it cuts out on the 4th exchange, which I'm fairly certain is one in the UK. Already sent an email to Eircom and hopefully this will be resolved soon. :/

EDIT*

Doing some tracerts on websites and servers I can't reach and I've noticed 1 ip in particular that whenever it goes through it won't connect to the next one.

3 37ms 37ms 37ms 159.134.191.238

Does anybody know what this would mean?

Anyone with an IP starting with 83.70 is having this issue ,it sucks big time.

kdjac

I called Eircom this morning. They said it is a problem with everyone using the 83.*.*.* range if IP's.
    It's a filtering issue, and the problem is with a third party company who supply the IP addresses or something.

Typical Eircom. Slow as ever, and passing the buck. I just hope they sort it soon.

They said there are other IPs available that don't start with 83, but I've reconnected about 30 times and always got an 83 IP.

BTW, "neokenzo" - why do you have your PC stats in your sig?

ye i have a 83.70.*.* IP address, is there any way of connecting with a different IP address or something? Man its annoying, its only the sites im interested in too. Ah well, hopefully they'll fix it soon. And ye trust eircom to blaim somebody else.

Originally posted by herbie747
    BTW, "neokenzo" - why do you have your PC stats in your sig?

Just for the fun of it :)

I got 213.* ip address. No wonder I'm not having any of the problems :D

oh, i think its fixed, all my previously mentioned sites are working now.

Originally posted by Gonzo
    today for first time ever i cant seem to connect to jolt or most english servers, pings come at 9999 with 100% packet loss but they are displaying that people are playing there. Ive no problems with uk2 tho.

yep, and if you reboot the modem (maybe a couple of times) jolt will work and then you cant see uk2 :p
    Pretty sure it's a fault on one of the exchanges. Using a tracert in command prompt on some of the servers I can't connect to it cuts out on the 4th exchange, which I'm fairly certain is one in the UK. Already sent an email to Eircom and hopefully this will be resolved soon. :/

yep exact same problem

I actually got through to eircom yesterday (the 4th guy i spoke to..) who was a gamer himself and had dsl, i explained the whole problem and he tried pinging some stuff from his own computer and was saying he was having the exact same problem, i sent in a few tracerts and he has escalated the problem to 2nd class technical fault (the first 3 i spoke to blamed everything under the sun except themselves...) was good to get through to someone who actually listened and understood without telling me to "contact the game service provider, its there fault..." etc, and after hearing how his dsl had the same fault (he had tryed pinging from his own comp and tracert which got the same result as mine yet his work computer could do it fine.)

hopefully this problem is sorted soon, as far as i know ive mostly always been on the 83. address range and this problem only started for me on friday, just hoping it goes soon

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Just for the fun of it :)

What's so "fun" about it?

• Advertisement

gonna ring eircom in the morning, still cant access most gaming servers:(

Advertisement