Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS demonstration video

Options
  • 14-05-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Pretty big..118mb :o but its great, shows off metroid hunters, mario 64x4, wario ware and a sonic game and a load of tech demos on it.
    I cant wait for this thing to be released, looks such fun

right click

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That is amazing. The touch screen works well.
    Mario and Metroid look very good.

I love broadband :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

anyone else thing the DS looks kinda big, especially compared to the GBA Sp?

Anyone remember the Atari Lynx... :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Nope, its the same size when unfolded as the SP, its a bit wider though not a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

WOW WOW WOW. That blew me away , the touch is screen is not a gimic , theres no question about that. So many things that can be done with it , Really like the instant messager thing , and controlling metriod with the tuoch screen looks great, graphics look brilliant...

I imagine a web browser could be created for the ds, seeing as it has wi-fi capability. Ill be importing this thing in December for sure, provided it doesnt sell out first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya it looks amazeing Sony must be crying into there psp lol :D the vid really shows some of the amazeing games that can be made.FPS will be like on the pc thanks to the touchscreen you have one big mouse!! great stuff

Well done nintendo ! follow this up with a top class console and sony/mircosoft are screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Wicknight
    anyone else thing the DS looks kinda big, especially compared to the GBA Sp?

if you think the DS is big check out the PSP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i highly recommend that video, i dont usually download big files (even though i have broadband), definatley watch it, thanks for uploading it btw.

It looks amazing, a must have the wireless capability is amazing, i know psp has it but is it possible to play over the net or just LAN ?

i hope they dont get side tracked into making games for kids, since the possibilities for touch screen - more likley kid games.
    The pac man game looked totally amazing ! so did the fps and sonic.

as for the thing itself, it looks a bit big.

psp or ds ?
    must get 1!

Originally posted by Placebo

psp or ds ?
    must get 1!

Its not much taller or wider than the Gameboy advance

The ds really seems the far better handheld :)

true, but psp looks slick but its all going to end up as

nintendo = is it gonna get titles ? or just its own mario sequence loop.
    Gonna have to go with the one with better games.

• Advertisement

Didnt nintendo say that they have a lot of 3th party development teams such as EA squaresoft and sega backing them.........I douth there will be a lack of games for the Ds.

PSP looks like hell tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

really impressed by this, really.

I dont usually go for handhelds, but this thing pushes it out of the usual just games thing, and makes it into an amazing device with so much possibility, and the graphics look amazing too. The one thing I wasnt sure about in the whole video was the firing/turning in metroid, it seems that when you want to turn you have to shoot your gun too!! But thats minor, and otherwise, the thing looks amazing. The carving tech demo was cool as well, and i'd love to get the air hockey!

When the psp was announced, i thought that nintendo were doomed, as far as i was concerned, they had spent too long alone in the handheld market and would be too relaxed to be original, this just shows how wrong I was, and unless something amazing happens, sony wont have a patch on them. I hope that this is a sign of things to come, and we can expect an equally original console too, something to really set them apart.

I wonder if you could use that as a kind of PDA thingey, Im sure the software will be available... anyway, if you can or not... its on my wish list

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

OMG lost for words... amazing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by flogen
    The one thing I wasnt sure about in the whole video was the firing/turning in metroid, it seems that when you want to turn you have to shoot your gun too!!

The initial shots of him turning (in the multiplayer version) he could turn w/o shooting. I think the way it works is if the pen is close to the screen, you can turn, and then to fire you actually touch the screen.

Does anyone else think it looks a tad awkward for a handheld console to have to have one hand free to use the pen? then buttons on the right wouldn't be utilised. and what about those whose are left-handed, forced to draw with their right because of where the d-pad is.

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    [B what about those whose are left-handed, forced to draw with their right because of where the d-pad is. [/B]

Who cares , they're only about 10% of people :D

Does anyone else think it looks a tad awkward for a handheld console to have to have one hand free to use the pen?

true, specially on the move, for instance on a bus standing up, Plus when your really tierd u just wanna crawl into bed and play a nice game without moving ur hands too much, maybe thats just me, lazy.

But all i`m hoping is that they dont get side tracked into making games for little kids, because what they have is really good.

from gamespot, DS garunteed titles in development
    Nintendo
    Animal Crossing DS
    Mario Kart DS
    Metroid Prime: Hunters*
    Nintendogs
    PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
    Super Mario 64x4
    Super Mario Bros. DS
    WarioWare Inc. DS

Nintendo has a solid lineup of third-party titles as well. Here's a complete list, drawn from Japanese and American sources:

Activision
    Spider-Man 2

Atari
    (One title in development)

Bandai
    Dragonball Z
    One Piece
    Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*

Banpresto
    Dragonball Z

Capcom
    Gyakutensaiban (aka Reversal of Judgment)
    MegaMan Battle Network
    Viewtiful Joe

Electronic Arts
    Need for Speed

From Software
    (multiple titles in development)

Hudson
    Bomberman*
    (multiple titles in development)

Koei
    Dynasty Warriors

Konami
    Frogger 2005
    Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador (tentative title)

Majesco

Namco
    Mr. Driller
    Pac-Pix*
    Pac 'n Roll*
    Unnamed RPG

Sega
    Project Rub
    Sonic DS (tentative title)*

Square Enix
    Dragon Quest Monsters
    Egg Monster Heroes*
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

THQ
    SpongeBob SquarePants DS

Tecmo
    Monster Rancher
    Team Ninja game (name has not been released)

Ubisoft
    Rayman

VU Games

www.gamespot.com they have the new icons for psp and ds at top
    www.nintendo.com have info on ds

the messaging aplication is really impressive too.

Originally posted by Tusky
    the messaging aplication is really impressive too.

yeah, like free texts...but what's the radius you have to be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    yeah, like free texts...but what's the radius you have to be in?

about 100 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Thats looks so freaking sweet. Man I can't wait to get one of them. Import definitly. Oh the possibilities...

• Advertisement

Anyone know any sites you could import this off when it comes out? I want to pre-order it, as im anticipating it being the hot thing for christmas in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Looks like a load of cock.

Less powerful then PSP, smaller screen, all it has is a second screen to show a map!
    wow

Download the vid did you or are you just a sony fanboy ?

Ds = fresh and new
    Psp = same old crap from sony

Originally posted by Celt

Less powerful then PSP, smaller screen, all it has is a second screen to show a map!
    wow

em.....sure...if you say so:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

did you even watch what can be done with the 2nd screen?

wow

This is the 10th competitor nintendo has had in the handhelp market. So far its Nintendo 9, competitors 0. When the gamegear came out it was full colour and way more advanced than the gameboy, but how did it do? It flopped. Its not about which is the more powerful. Sony seem to be intent on releasing the same kind of games exactly from ps2 to psp. How many people are going to want to own 2 copies of the same type of game.?

Originally posted by L5
    This is the 10th competitor nintendo has had in the handhelp market. So far its Nintendo 9, competitors 0. When the gamegear came out it was full colour and way more advanced than the gameboy, but how did it do? It flopped. Its not about which is the more powerful. Sony seem to be intent on releasing the same kind of games exactly from ps2 to psp. How many people are going to want to own 2 copies of the same type of game.?

They've never had competition in the handheld market from Sony before....what about all the PS sheep? The PSP looks more like a "business" toy than a gaming one, so this could add more sheep to the flock - and don't forget the obligitory "Nintendo = kiddies" comment that all the "cool" 12 year olds make.

L5 you can pre order it from gamespot.com with free dilvery for around 200$, relase date around November, but if the date is changed you wont get your money back, you`ll have to wait and IF the price drops to lets say 150$, you dont get your 50$ back..

as for psp vs ds.
    ds looks a bit chunky and i seen the add for psp and it had some 2d fighting game, seen morgan in it, looked like M vs C, if so, il have to get psp.
    But dont y`all forget, Zelda, 3d, handheld.
    heaven ?

wow

heh , download the video and you will not think it is "a load of cock"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I doubt the guy has seen it.

When the DS was first announced and details were sketchy, my first thought was 'an extra screen just for a map??!! stupid!'

Seeing the video just shows that that is the most basic application for the screen, and in reality it can do a hell of a lot more.

If the PSP is simply a smaller PS2, then playstation can forget it, I dont want the same crap, I want something new, a new level of interaction and a new level of inventivness.
    Microsoft and Sony, take note... everyone knows (sadly) that the ps3 and xbox2 are going to be the same thing, but with better graphics and power.. I wonder if the GC follow up will be something new...

Flogen

• Advertisement

Well the codename for the next Nintendo console was confirmed as "Revolution" at E3, and they said that it will be a new way to interact with games. Im intrigued

Advertisement