Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS demonstration video

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by Placebo
    L5 you can pre order it from gamespot.com with free dilvery for around 200$, relase date around November, but if the date is changed you wont get your money back, you`ll have to wait and IF the price drops to lets say 150$, you dont get your 50$ back..

Hmmm it says that you will get the refund if the price drops.

"Price and release dates are subject to change. If the actual release price is lower than what we have listed, you will only be charged the lower price"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Celt
    Looks like a load of cock.

Less powerful then PSP, smaller screen, all it has is a second screen to show a map!
    wow

have you seen the size of the psp it's the size of a encylcopedia (sp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I seen the vid, and yes, it has potential.

But how many developers are going to put the time and money into truly utilising the second screen?

The PSP is large, but its not that big e3.jpg

The fact the PSP is more powerful does matter, it's not a huge deal, but it is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hmmm it says that you will get the refund if the price drops.

sorry, i read it wrong then.

would it be possible to connect the DS to a wireless router and play online ?
    and the second screen is also used for texting while in game.
    I might go for DS if it gets a street fighter title. but psp plays videos too !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Do you have to use the pen on the touch screen? can you not just hit the virtual buttons with your thumb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think you can, you can either use the stulus or your thumb But i read somewhere that the screen was 3 inches ? looks bigger, besides you wont be able to see anything using your thumb, plus when txting aswell the buttons will be small, carrying that stylus will be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Placebo
    carrying that stylus will be a pain.

probably has a slot somewhere, like PDAs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

yeah it will have a slot when its released they said. the design is not final either, therell be some slight changes apparantly before its released. with a new name also, it wont be called DS, even though i quite like that name now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sweet, 561 kb/sec!!! Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Celt
    I seen the vid, and yes, it has potential.

But how many developers are going to put the time and money into truly utilising the second screen?

Dev teams love new forms of interaction for their games once they've been proven to work. If there are a few very successful games that use the touch screen in a meaningful way then I can see huge interest in it. At the same time I've tried playing CS with a mouse touch pad and felt like ripping my eyes out so remains to be seen which way this will go.

I'm not sure which of these devices I'll buy, I could end up going for both of them if they're both established in two years from now with very different sets of games. Also I've major concerns about the screen on the psp. My GBA cover is covered in marks and scuffs just from living in my pocket with my car keys. I can't imagine what would happen to that big wide unprotected screen. And I wouldn't really be that interested if I can't stick it in my pocket.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Dev teams love new forms of interaction for their games once they've been proven to work.
    Dev teams may, but very few publishers do.

EA, atari, even to an extent ubisoft dont seem to :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If a publisher sees it as a gimick that its marketing department can use as a selling point then they'll be interested in it. Also a touch screen isn't really a new concept, shouldn't cost developers all that more to use then say a mouse or dpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

celt: over 100 3rd parties are interested, including EA, Atari and Ubisoft

Placebo: even the GBA can play video. That's nothing interesting.

Originally posted by Balfa
    celt: over 100 3rd parties are interested, including EA, Atari and Ubisoft

Placebo: even the GBA can play video. That's nothing interesting.
    Read what we were talking about, everyone knows EA et al will just use it as a glorified map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Who cares if some developers/publishers use it as a glorified map, as long as the do it well. Even if they don't, it's not the end of the world. The touch screen alone won't make good games, and as long as some games make good use of it(and I know many will, especially nintendo themselves), it's not gimicky. You're really just coming off as a ps kiddy, Celt. I was sceptical of the idea the first time I heard it too, but when I saw what they were doing with it, it was more than serendipitous, and I know look forward to getting one a lot. From what I've seen of it, the graphics on it are great, so who really gives a rats ass about it's specs. It's not graphics that make good games anyway. And as for the PSP having a bigger screen, it probably wouldn't if you add the two DS screens together.
    The DS is an original idea, and in my opinion a very good one. The PSP is just going to end up as a slightly smaller clone of the PS2 with probably all the same games. Don't get me wrong, if it turns out good I may well buy one, but the DS just looks a lot more promising. Nintendo have dominated the handheld market for two decades, they're not about to reliquish their grip all that easily.

<insert nintendo fanboy flame>

I only use my PS2 to play ps1 games on, and even that's rare.
    I'm a pc gamer and occasionally use the GBA.

Advertisement