Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Smoking Pubs

Options
  • 14-05-2004 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Ok, does anyone know any good pubs with beer gardens in Dublin, anywhere in Dublin, doesnt have to be city centre.
    Im going to rate them on the following:
    Comfort, drink, clientel (i.e. is there a chance you might get a hatchet in the head for not being a local), other comments
    So the few I've found are as follows:

the Market Bar, Fade street, Dublin 2
    Comfort 3 points, you tend to have to be there at 2pm to get a seat for eight.
    its also too far away from the bar, and they turn off the outdoor heaters to get you out at last orders.
    Drink points 5, its ok but I take off 5 because its difficult to get to the bar
    clientel point 8, there's nobody going to hit you with a hammer
    The Orchard, Rathfarnham
    Comfort 5 points, difficult to get a seat, the outdoor heaters are ok but sparse
    Drink points 8, they have a little outdoor bar to serve smoking punters
    clientel point 8, there's nobody going to hit you with a hammer, maybe.
    Scholars, the tenters, D8
    Comfort 7 points, you tend to always get a seat once there isnt twelve of you, it has a nice covering and would protect you from rainstorms as I found out. The heaters are the big industrial ones and there's lots of them, its an old converted school and quite nice
    Drink points 8, its really easy to get a drink and they have service outside and a mad barman.
    clientel point 7, there's alot of locals, they seem nice enough, possibly a shooting, but no hammers :D..kidding

Anyhow anyone else discovered any good ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

The Temple Bar Pub in yes you guessed it - Temple Bar. :D

about half the centre of the pub is open air, half the time you dont realise you are in the open air. Only problem is its packed all the time, everyone seems to be goingthere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by talla
    The Temple Bar Pub in yes you guessed it - Temple Bar. :D

about half the centre of the pub is open air, half the time you dont realise you are in the open air. Only problem is its packed all the time, everyone seems to be goingthere now.
    Yeah it's fucking great. The first time I ever went in was actually post ban and I thought everyone in there was a reckless criminal. Until I looked up. I actually think they're being a bit dodgy because there isn't the 50% open air thing going on but for the time being it's great. Just like being inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Beggar's Bush, Haddington Road, Dublin 4
    Comfort 8 points - Has these nice, new, hexagonal tables with benches outside. Each fits about 6 people, and there are maybe 6 - 8 of these. They sometimes have patio heaters, sometimes not.
    Drink 10 points - The cheapest bar in Dublin, as far as I know. €3.80 or so for a pint of Carlsberg, something mental like €3.50 for a Guinness.
    Clientel 7 points - There's nobody going to hit you with a hammer - but it has it's fair share of auld lads. You're not gonna pull in there. I also once saw jolly alcoholic TV chief Keith Floyd in there, and he knows his booze.
    Verdict - Best local evvaar. w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Karma - Beside Chirstchurch

3 Euros for a Guinness, bring your pint outside with you and have a smoke. Best pub in Dublin

Also my Local in Carpenterstown has a nice one, a converted garage it reminds me of, with a roof and heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

dicey rileys on harcourt street has a nice beer garden.
    nice pint too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Hope it's OK if I *bump* this thread up, wondering if there are any new additions to the list?

I'm planning a bit of a session in a couple of weeks, plenty of smokers in tow and it'd be handier if we headed somewhere that has a pretty decent smoking area (don't have it in me to make them stand on the street!)

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, might be an idea to sticky this one perhaps, mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Harry Byrne's on the Howth Road in Clontarf has an excellent smoking lounge. Well heated with massive steel pipes, very busy at the weekends, but perfect for midweek pints. Easy to get to the bar, and they serve a nice pint.

Ten out of ten on all counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ok not a pub but a really trendy spot.

the morgan hotel just off westmoreland street.

the beer garden is indoors (very strangely done its not like being outside at all in fact you dont have to leave the place??) and its got a bed in it and everything! not a bad crowd, no scummers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Don't forget Dorans.
    ****in ****hole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

nancy hands in park gate street has one of the nicest beer gardens ive seen. full of lovely wooden water features and a lovely stone wall ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fibbers in Parnell street,heated outside smoking area with roof.Rock music and some pints three euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Still an absolute Hole though degsy :) hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Russell court hotel has a great beer garden and D2 just across the road is not bad either.

Advertisement