Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Complete "barebone" rig

• 14-05-2004 3:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone do barebone-style rigs complete with processor/hdd/etc? Only ones I can find are, uh, barebones. :)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Could you elaborate? Not entirely sure what you mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This type of thing. However the ones I've seen online seem to be shipped without processors or hard drives. Surely someone out there builds complete systems?

adam

If it's miniture you're after, try these guys:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

Thanks Kobie. Christ, they're a fair price when you put it all together, aren't they? I'm just looking for something to use as a server instead of the horse of thing beside me. :)

adam

Yeah they're not the cheapest (unless you make your own case form a cornflakes box), but they're damn small.

You might be able to get an old laptop for a few hundred. It'll take up very little power & space and should have a sizable enough hard drive on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

BTW often a decent PII/III is faster than one of those 1G C3 CPU's, so it can be more cost effective to just use an old PII/PIII box. IN fact just like the one I'm selling : )

I have an old 1GHz Athlon already. Looking to replace it with something smaller.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I have an old 1GHz Athlon already. Looking to replace it with something smaller.

adam

The 1Ghz and higher AMD's put out a lot of heat so its hard to put them into a small quiet box. Thats why the Intel route can better for this. I had a 1ghz AMD in a Asus terminator for a while and I had to mod it a bit to make it quieter. Handy as a server but I got rid of it for two reasons. It was very fiddily to make hardware changes and only two PCI slots was a problem. I wanted to add a Nvidia card, SCSI card, Sound card, USB2 card and a modem. Basically I need a test machine and a server.

Incidentally OcUK builds complete systems. Some of them based on the AMD terminator like I had. Be cheaper to build your own IMO. Lots of the UK builders will sell you a system based around a Small Form Factor PC (SFF). http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/OcUK_Systems.html

Those systems are far too large I'm afraid. I already have one of those too. :)

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Those systems are far too large I'm afraid. I already have one of those too. :)

adam

Well then a Epia or a laptop is the only way to go for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement