Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems after trying to unlock xp1800

Options
  • 14-05-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Earlier today I tried to unlock my athlon(palomio) 1800 - i joined up all the L1 bridges with some conductive silver paint i got from maplin - also filled the pits with superglue. Anyway I put the chip back into the pc and switched it on, everything started up but hte monitor didnt go on - there was a weird smell too.

Did i fry the chip or is there something i can do to bring the system back to life ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Sounds like the chip to be honest. Any scorch marks on it? You have to be very clean with modding cpus. Any stray conductive material on the chip can fry it. Also it sooooo easy to out the HSF on incorrectly on a AMD chip. I wasted a 1.33ghz in the past I to this day I have no idea why it happened. I had a 1Ghz chip that I abused in all sorts of ways, using it without a HSF etc. But despite lots of scorch marks it kept working. Amazing little chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

no scorch marks anywhere - just the funny smell when it starts.

Whare are you saying about the HSF? I havnt put the heatsink or anything back on while i tested the cpu - would this stop it booting or just cause the machine to fall over at some random time when it overheated ?

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    no scorch marks anywhere - just the funny smell when it starts.

Whare are you saying about the HSF? I havnt put the heatsink or anything back on while i tested the cpu - would this stop it booting or just cause the machine to fall over at some random time when it overheated ?

Unless you have thermal protection on the motherboard an AMD cpu will die within seconds if powered up with at least a heastsink on it. Mine have survived a minute or two without a fan but without a heatsink aswell I think it would be fried instantly.

Of course theres a slim chance its something else like the PSU or the motherboard. But you'll need a second system to test everything. I reckon its the PSU though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I havnt put the heatsink or anything back on while i tested the cpu

err very bad move only takes those chips about 3/5 seconds to fry with out a heatsink
    would explain the strange smell also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Wow !!

Anyway, try with the heatsink installed and see if you got extremely lucky and your chip still works..........judging from the fact that you get a smell your chances are pretty low. Worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Seriously i dont know whether to laugh or cry,why in the hell did you think you could run the cpu without a heatsink!!!!! :eek:

:(
    CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I havnt put the heatsink or anything back on while i tested the cpu

:eek: My My.
    Fingers crossed for you, if it works you should do the lotto tonight.

Just didnt think the processor would fry so quickly without a heatsink, figured i would have, at least, 10-20 seconds and then the bios would shut down automatically (the bios does this automatically - or says it does) if it got too hot.

Just wanted to check if it got as far as mem test then I'd put the heatsink/fan back on - ah well

Anyway it gives me an excuse to buy some new gear :)

Some AMD motherboards will turn off power to the CPU if they detect that the CPU fan is not connected or not running or that the CPU is getting too hot. This is one of the drawbacks of a AMD system. The Intel P4's don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Combatcow
    i dont know whether to laugh or cry

me too :dunno:

• Advertisement

Tried it again with the heatsink/fan all connected up and this time there was a satisifying puff of smoke :).

Hopefully the motherboard is undamaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Tried it again with the heatsink/fan all connected up and this time there was a satisifying puff of smoke :).

Tá sé marbh!

Mike

Advertisement