Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn any good

• 14-05-2004 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,575 ✭✭✭✭

hey i am wondering is isdn 128k connection any good if you cant get broadband in your area i want it for gaming does any one know if its good how low would the ping be also is there much lag when playing online:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was playing COD on 64k ISDN up until I got Broadband and it was good. Never got a ping below 100/150 though.

If you are planning on using 128k (i.e. the 2 channels) you get charged double.

Also, when you finally do get around to getting BB, they'll charge you extra to downgrade your line from ISDN > PTSN before you upgrade to BB.

While ISDN is good, it's an old fashoned technology. You'd be better off waiting for BB IMO. Unless of course you can't see BB coming to your area ever, and you're connecting at 16800bps with a 56k modem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I started looking for Broadband a year ago and I ordered sometime in the summer with IOLBB and because of the ISDN they kept telling me my modem was on my way, so I gave up and sure enough they started billing me for the damn thing thinking I had the BB, they did this for a few months..

Then I ordered BB with eircom about a month ago, and last week I got it :)

Stick with eircom if you have ISDN.. but if you have a PSTN skip the ISDN and go straight for BB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have an ISDN line. Can't get BB where i live :( I never use the two channels for regular browsing, only when downloading something. Download rate increases from about 5kb/sec to about 11 or 12kb/sec. Doesn't seem much but it can make a big difference

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I had ISDN till february and it was as good as broadband for stuff like Quake2/Counterstrike but for more demanding games like Sof2 Capture the flag and Quake 3 it wasnt the best as the limited bandwidth would cause lag spikes but its still a hall of alot better than 56k anyday, its expensive but well worth it if your a keen online gamer and the prospects of broadband are none for the forseeable future/years.

ON ISDN I was able to get pings as low as 45ms on some UK cs servers and as low as 35ms on Irish cs servers. However the pings you get isdn varies greatly depending upon the isp and the isdn modem you use. An Eircon Diva modem was great for ISDN and best pinging isp on isdn would be Esat. Eircom on ISDN was okish but pings were about 80ms and utv on isdn was a disaster at around 150ms. If you take the plunge for ISDN I suggest you order the line from eircom, then get an ESAT/IOL flat rate account and an Eircon Diva Modem for your isdn.

I almost forgot, if you plan using just xbox live as your source of online gaming then forget about ISDN as xbox live is broadband exclusive.

Advertisement