Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needs help - Very Slow DSL Connection

• 14-05-2004 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Finally got digiwebDSL Homejet today - just on it for the past hour. Unfortunately it's slower than dialup - downloads running at about 2.5kbs/sec. Is this kind of slowing down common at peak times? I know that Eircom are doing upgrades/repairs at my exchange (Whitehall) at the moment could this have anything to do with it. Digiweb support is closed at the moment.

I don't have a clue about Pings etc - what are these like?

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 81ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 84ms

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats really bad:( thats even worse than utv clicksilver pings. Try pinging www.jolt.co.uk and see what you get also.

Also try this speed test and tell us what speed you get. A normall result would be around 436kbps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just hooked up my Belkin wireless router (really easy by the way) and speeds suddenly improved speed test giving upstream 107, downstream and 423 downstream

also

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=59
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 66ms

Much relieved and can now see what all the fuss is about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

What's the diags like at the moment digital. as you know , i have the homjet package as well so if you want to compare diag results let me know. Run the speed test on giganews.com and let me know what you get there.

news-40.giganews.com: Test size 3131kb Time Elapsed 78.1

news-60.giganews.com: Test size 3131kb Time Elapsed 59.3

Here's the test from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Actual Speed
    True Speed (estimated)

Downstream: Actual Speed 422 Kbps (52.8 KB/sec) True Speed (estimated): 455 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream: Actual speed 106 Kbps (13.3 KB/sec) True Speed (estimated) 114 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I'm very happy with everything - Belkin wireless stuff was very easy to set up. Did you get the phoneline sorted?

• Advertisement

Yeah, Eircom came round and said they were doing some work close by and that was the cause of the problem.

I realised after posting that you had sorted your connection out. glad it worked easy for you. wireless working well for you?

wireless is going great - surfing on a Dell laptop at the moment - going to buy a compact flash wifi card for the ipaq on Ebay in a few minutes! What kind of speed test are you getting?

I have to say I found Digiweb very easy to deal with - no going on hold and always got to speak to the same person. Must be difficult for them being a reseller - imagine having to deal with Eircom every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by digitaldr
    Just hooked up my Belkin wireless router (really easy by the way) and speeds suddenly improved speed test giving upstream 107, downstream and 423 downstream

also

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 66ms

Much relieved and can now see what all the fuss is about!

your download speed looks good its about the same as most people get so no problems there

your pings are about 30 ms more than eircoms or iol
    wont affect you unless your big into gaming

wireless is going great - surfing on a Dell laptop at the moment - going to buy a compact flash wifi card for the ipaq on Ebay in a few minutes! What kind of speed test are you getting?

I have to say I found Digiweb very easy to deal with - no going on hold and always got to speak to the same person. Must be difficult for them being a reseller - imagine having to deal with Eircom every day.

most of the tests I've done average 430kbps download which is ok but I was installing a BB connection (esat bt business) for a friend and did same tests as I've done and they were bang on 512kbps downloads + pings were in 15ms range whereas mine are 40ms for jolt and 50ms typical for boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by alleepally
    most of the tests I've done average 430kbps download which is ok but I was installing a BB connection (esat bt business) for a friend and did same tests as I've done and they were bang on 512kbps downloads + pings were in 15ms range whereas mine are 40ms for jolt and 50ms typical for boards.ie

thats because thats adsl( not radsl) and fast path is enabled

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tuxx
    thats because thats adsl( not radsl) and fast path is enabled

Is the standard Eircom home product adsl or dsl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

eh? They ignored my emails, said they'd call me back and didn't, and it took me two days to get through to them this week, I was pressing 2 for installation department and kept getting Sarah Jane's voicemail...very unprofessional. A few times when I rang the sales line I got a message saying no agents are available at all!
    They come across as very amateurish to me, which is worrying as they've been around for years. I was going to go with them for dsl as my wirelss LOS test failed but I don't think I will now after the problems i've had with them.

I have a feeling that their DSL department is run by different staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have a feeling that their DSL department is run by different staff.

It's not. I've been to their building in Dundalk, they have about ten staff in total. The 'installs' department covers everything btw, satellite, wireless, dsl....

I was mainly dealing with Deborah Mc Keown ad Eoghan (how's that for a rhyme)

Advertisement