Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars : galaxies

Options
  • 14-05-2004 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Got my copy today after seeing it come up on another forum i read constantly and since i loved KOTOR thought i would give it a go..

just wondering if there is any boardsters playing this :)

www.starwarsgalaxies.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

yep i do...

Ive got characters on few servers

Monty on starsider(holo grinding this one) -imperial
    Ediomoch on chimera-imperial
    Reven on Farstar(main account) -rebel
    then another on infinity

theres a trialer for the game here http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swgalaxies_lightspeed/ needs quicktime

1 note about the trailer...I have yet to see or even hear of a working AT-AT on the server so im not sure wher it comes from on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Yup - Grifja Od'Dub on the Europe-Farstar server

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by Big Chief
    Got my copy today after seeing it come up on another forum i read constantly and since i loved KOTOR thought i would give it a go.
    I love KOTR too (played it thru twice, probably good for another go).

Just don't expect the same gaming experience from SWG, I played it for a few months last year, I found it a very average experience by other MM standards. If SWG is your first MMORPG, you might get a similar buzz I got when I first played Ultima Online many moons ago :D

I quit last December and I've heard many changes have been made since (improved Jedi rules, vehicles introduced, fixed bugs, spaceships to come). Hopefully there's more fun to be had.

Have a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Hi there, I'm 'Anavel' on Chimaera server. :) The game has changed an awful lot since December, though I think it will not be until Publish 11 (should be end of July roughly) that all of the big revamps will be done.

Jedi at the end of this month, Combat at the end of next month and finally PvP. After that it'll be time for the Space Expansion! woot! :D

Teeth.

btw, I started playing at the end of December.. I can't imagine how poor the game must have been without vehicles! I had refused to buy the game until they had added the speeders, and mounts, and player cities. There's been a raft of cool new stuff since then also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

started playing on friday, played it for about 12 hours solid at one point taking random breaks in between to get food / drinks / smokes / rants by the gf of spending to much time on my comp..

must say im really enjoying it so far, it has a bit of that KOTOR feeling there but you are left to explore on your own and do what you want, rather than following a set kinda storyline, really quite glad i bought it now although i couldnt imagine it without the speders being there really

im playing on the europe-chimeara server, C-hiefy (or maybe Ch-iefy) *dosent allow the nick chief for some reason.. and no it wasnt taken it just dosent allow the word chief) C-hiefy O'Donnell, im in the BIA guild over on dantooine now as i know a good few of the players from www.kiwi.vg forums who are all ex tfc (half life) players..

Im just builiding up my character at the moment, was surprised to see ppl being nice etc aswell, currently just in tatt getting up my stats and when i kept getting defeated by a creature i had no chance against someone noticed and came up and kept healing me and offered to group up and help me out etc (ppl all offered help that i asked without hesitation..) and thats very good to see after spending alot of time playing tfc/ut2k4 or whatever (or even cs to a small extent) where most ppl seem like lil kiddies...

i can see me spending to much time playing this though :p, feel free to come group up with me as i could do with all the help i can get really, most of the BIA guild have been playing for god knows how long and not many noobs like myself :p

And it would be nice to play with a few of the boardsters, if you play on the chimaera server leave your nickname here and ill come look you up when im playing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I've been playing SWG for a few months now, and I still enjoy it.

I think its a good game.. it does get boring unless you keep swapping professions... I've been BH (kept it for about a month), now I went to Master Swordsman/Master CH and I am currently in the process of dropping CH for Rifleman.

Every professions has something that you are better at than most other professions.
    BH = do BH missions.
    Swordsman = GeoCaves and NS
    Rifleman = krayt and to some extent the corvette

I think I want to do commando and then some crafting profession... and maybe doctor.
    Once I'm done with that I think I can say that I've tried all aspects of the game...

changed character, didnt join the bia guild as they are imperial and i think i was to be a rebel and stick to the lightside.. so have just been doing missions and meeting random people that i dont know about tattoine and dantoinne..

met a rebel guild in tatt though and have been hanging round there base doing missions for myself for stats and a couple of rebel missions

youve tried all those professions, but what about jedi muffen? :)

Think Memnoch is the only one of us to get that far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Originally posted by Big Chief
    youve tried all those professions, but what about jedi muffen? :)

I'm not trying to get Jedi, my first holo said master weaponsmith and thats when I stopped trying :)

I figured I'd do to quests once the revamp happens.

I'm not sure I'd like to play a Jedi character at all to be honest, it is a very long a slow grind to become a good Jedi... don't think I have the time or the energy to do it. I rather just be good at my normal professions.

I ordered a second copy of SWG so I can run two characters on the same server. Gonna have one crafting character and one combat character, and my new aim is probably going to be to setup a really good weapon/armour shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

They're totally reworking the jedi path and how you can unlock your character. Until now it was a case of grinding 5 professions in a certain order (4 were told to you by holos and the 5th was guesswork - meaning you might have gone through all professions before you unlocked).

Now they're doing it quest based. My first holo was master chef, and as I prefer combat I ignored it. When they put out an announcement saying that anybody who has gone through professions from holos would receive a surprise. So i've gone through mastering Chef which has cost me millions - and it had better be worth it!

BTW my character name is 'Icey' on 'Europe-Farstar'. I'm running a guild on tatooine out of the city of Mos Wroshyr (DMA) if anybody wants to come say hello :)

On Europe-Chimaera I have a character called 'Iliame' and on Europe-Infinity I have a character called 'Tw'ice'. But I don't really go onto those characters unless Farstar won't load :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

SWG is starting to sound more interesting, I was put off initially by all the complaints about it being half finished and bug ridden.

Is it a game you can enjoy if you don't have the time to be living in the game world? And are there any clans/servers with boards guilds which don't mind having non powergamers in them?

Greg (who just doesn't have as much gaming time as he did when he was a student :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I was just wondeirng how exactly this works. Do you buy the game and thats it or are there further payments to be made?

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I was just wondeirng how exactly this works. Do you buy the game and thats it or are there further payments to be made?

you pay a subscription fee per month of about 7 euros to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    Think Memnoch is the only one of us to get that far...

I dont think so :D

Jedi totaly rock for PvE. Sabres are very powerful and my 5th gen is 1156 - 1587 @ 1.5 speed so Rancors and NS go down very fast unless there the 100% kinetic resist types which I leave the hell alone lol

PvP is kinda borked as jedi have no defence mods so if your not a zabrak your pretty much screwed in pvp unless your a 4,4,4,4 guardian. Seeing one of those guys in action is pretty damm scary. So far Iv been attacked by a few rejects who though it would be "fun" to mess with my Jedi and they were incapped x3 and sent to the cloning centre :D

The jedi revamp is looking pretty cool and with a defence line of skill boxes and a change in sabre damage type, Jedi should really start kicking ass and taking names ( of ass's to be kicked later).

Im back playing on Lowca with a MBH one one account and M-Rifleman+M-Doc and Jedi on other account.

Originally posted by Draupnir

Its 15 yoyos per account per month after tax.

Originally posted by quozl
    SWG is starting to sound more interesting, I was put off initially by all the complaints about it being half finished and bug ridden.

Is it a game you can enjoy if you don't have the time to be living in the game world? And are there any clans/servers with boards guilds which don't mind having non powergamers in them?

Greg (who just doesn't have as much gaming time as he did when he was a student :( )

While a powergamer will always have better items and level faster, SWG does well for the casual gamer. Every profession can solo to master except squad leader.

If they give the Jedi defenses comparable to a Fencer, in addition to their damage healing, wound healing, state healing and high damage weapons and specials.. they will be overpowered but beatable. If they give them their own damage type it will take the piss completely though. :)

Not that it matters to me, I'll be owning in my TIE intercepter soon enough!

After wittnessing an 8 way jedi brawl and seeing a master wipe the floor with his opponents in the middle of a packed cantina on theed on starsider last week, there is no doubting the strength of the higher levels, Avatars oppentents claim hes unbeatable unless you poison his mind....tis scarey to see how hes improved since he first unlocked the jedi.

the game is feckin class in my opinion, been playing it solid all weekend there, almost about 15 hours straight at one point :o:o

character is going up a bit aswell, managed to get some compo armour after doing missions a plenty on dantooine for 9k+ with my ubese armour against pikets/grauls etc

joined imp which to be fair seems to be more powerful from within the game and have been getting FP for that as much as i can really since getting the compo armour (and before with the ubese)

stats are now -

marksman 4 0 0 0 (just completed novice rifleman)

brawler 1 0 4 0 (got novice swordsman last night)

scout ? ? 3 2 (heading for creature handler so i can tame my cu pa.. :) )

medic 2 1 1 2 (not really going for anything here..)

entertainer 0 2 0 2 (thanks monty for the macro, was out my house for a few hours and came back to see that after being buffed to the max :) )

if your even on chimaera server then pop over to dantoinne down to town "ootini" and give me a shout, usually down there or there abouts.. or over on coronet or something, /tell C-hiefy :ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    If they give the Jedi defenses comparable to a Fencer, in addition to their damage healing, wound healing, state healing and high damage weapons and specials.. they will be overpowered but beatable. If they give them their own damage type it will take the piss completely though. :)

Not that it matters to me, I'll be owning in my TIE intercepter soon enough!

Sabre's need to have there own damage type tho. Light sabres in the movies are not kinetic damage weapons. Do bear in that the Jedi grind in leveling and this is not including the various professions needed to unlock in the first place, is insane. It can days days of grinding to fill one box, not to mention you must hunt alone to avoid getitng on the bounty terms and the components needed for the only weapons you can use cost millions. Everyother prof in SWG can be done in 1 week where's jedi will take months of non stop grinding to level up. Damm tootin they should be kick ass in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is the MMORPG effect. Players will always gravitate to the strongest class/cookie cutter character.

If that character was a jedi then everyone would want to be a jedi.

Not true. If this were the case then every character would be a pistoleer/fencer combo or something of the like.

If this were the case we wouldn't have architects or chefs or doctors or entertainers or any other non combat profession.

Thankfully for a lot of people this game is for role playing and not just a shoot em up.

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    Not true. If this were the case then every character would be a pistoleer/fencer combo or something of the like.

If this were the case we wouldn't have architects or chefs or doctors or entertainers or any other non combat profession.

Thankfully for a lot of people this game is for role playing and not just a shoot em up.

Rifleman/CM is the FoTM on most servers due to both class's being a tad on the overpowering side and by a tad I mean insanely overpowered :) Most PvP battles revolve around these two class's so hobbes is spot on in his comment. How many times have Soe nerfed certain class's when the majority of PvPers went hell bent to get them?

Bear in mine Ice, that alot of people have more than one account and Doctor is a profession thats very easy to master and very very needed in SWG. Not to mention you can make alot of money very easly with out any risk at all. Most of the serious PvPers have more than one account and use the second one as the credit earning class. You also have to bear in mind alot of people were and are still holo grinding.

True, but you also have to bare in mind that a lot of people play the game for the role playing aspect rather than the PvP aspect.

I've come across a lot of people doing entertainer for holos, and i've also come across my fair share of entertainers who do it because they want to entertain. They don't believe in afking entertainer, and those who own a cantina have removed afkers.

Some doctors do it as their main character (some don't even have a secondary) because some want to act like a doctor. They can also have a combat secondary profession but doc would be their main.

Some people have kept the likes of tailor the entire time they've played the game. Some have been mainly a mayor.

People decide on what professions they want and they DON'T all jump on the band wagon.

There's people who I know who just wanted to be a carbiner because of Han Solo. Some who want to be a bounty hunter but maintain a code of ethics and do it without armour (except for some show) and without buffs - the hard way.

Myself, I play the game slowly. I level when I feel like it, and I spend the rest of the time chatting with people. It took me 3 months to get BH and I didn't bother mastering it because I didn't ever want to master it. The only elite profession i've mastered has been chef because I wanted to do 1 holo before they brought in the change to jedi (so I might get a surprise).

To look at this game purely as PvP is rediculous. It's a mmoRPG for a reason.

Originally posted by Venom
    Sabre's need to have there own damage type tho. Light sabres in the movies are not kinetic damage weapons.

Doesn't matter to me. If they gave them their own damage type they would be insanely INSANELY overpowered. Besides which, SOE have already stated that armour and buffs are being nerfed down to reasonable levels in the combat rebalance so we won't be seeing 90% resists any more. That coupled with the new Jedi skills is more than enough.

Do bear in that the Jedi grind in leveling and this is not including the various professions needed to unlock in the first place, is insane. It can days days of grinding to fill one box, not to mention you must hunt alone to avoid getitng on the bounty terms and the components needed for the only weapons you can use cost millions. Everyother prof in SWG can be done in 1 week where's jedi will take months of non stop grinding to level up. Damm tootin they should be kick ass in combat.

They are supposed to be hard to level, but you know as well as I do that no matter how hard are they are to level, if they are made stupidly powerful then huge numbers of people will grind their chars to Jedi Knight and PvP will be completely screwed.

They are supposed to be rare in the game. Part of that comes from the time it takes to level them but most of it comes from the danger associated in being one.. if they are made too powerful then they can swan around starports with their friends and own everyone they see without fear..

Doesn't matter to me. If they gave them their own damage type they would be insanely INSANELY overpowered. Besides which, SOE have already stated that armour and buffs are being nerfed down to reasonable levels in the combat rebalance so we won't be seeing 90% resists any more. That coupled with the new Jedi skills is more than enough.

***The point is that sabres are letal in the movies so should be letal in the game as well. Kinetic was totaly wrong for damage type and it needs to be fixed. Sabres also wear out sooooooo fast. A 1000/1000 sabre will be down to 600-550 after 3 hours of play and when each pearl costs from 4 - 15 million and you need 4 pearls for a good sabre, damm right you should drop like a sack when i hit you in PvP.****

They are supposed to be rare in the game. Part of that comes from the time it takes to level them but most of it comes from the danger associated in being one.. if they are made too powerful then they can swan around starports with their friends and own everyone they see without fear..

***Rare is NEVER going to happen in a MMORPG. Rare = limits on what players can do and this will never keep players playing SWG. The reasion all the fubar jedi scheme came about was due to the massive amounts of people quiting SWG due to lack of content. Trust me Im almost about to quit my jedi due to the grind and I and others from the board who know me, would agree I fit the powergamer type. Most of the Fotm class's are powerful and easy to reach. Jedi will never be that popular.

Alo if your going to use the "well in the movies" line then there should be a server cap on the amount of rebels, Imp players should get major benefits to boost there under population, CM, swordsmen, doctors, pikemen and alot of other class's should be removed from the game. SWG is not starwars nor will it ever be. Its based on the mythos of the star wars universe.

Originally posted by Venom

***The point is that sabres are letal in the movies so should be letal in the game as well. Kinetic was totaly wrong for damage type and it needs to be fixed. Sabres also wear out sooooooo fast. A 1000/1000 sabre will be down to 600-550 after 3 hours of play and when each pearl costs from 4 - 15 million and you need 4 pearls for a good sabre, damm right you should drop like a sack when i hit you in PvP.****

My point is that they are already lethal enough, it's the armour that's out of whack, and that is being looked at in the combat rebalance. If sabers got their own damage type they would completely ignore armour meaning Jedis would be one-shotting fully buffed players in PvP, which is just daft balance-wise.

***Rare is NEVER going to happen in a MMORPG. Rare = limits on what players can do and this will never keep players playing SWG. The reasion all the fubar jedi scheme came about was due to the massive amounts of people quiting SWG due to lack of content. Trust me Im almost about to quit my jedi due to the grind and I and others from the board who know me, would agree I fit the powergamer type. Most of the Fotm class's are powerful and easy to reach. Jedi will never be that popular.

They have to be made rare, because a) no-one who plays this game wants jedis roaming around everywhere as its completely against continuity and b) because they want to make them powerful (but not ludicrously uber). You can't have a class that is both overpowered and common it will ruin things for all the other classes.

Alo if your going to use the "well in the movies" line then there should be a server cap on the amount of rebels, Imp players should get major benefits to boost there under population, CM, swordsmen, doctors, pikemen and alot of other class's should be removed from the game. SWG is not starwars nor will it ever be. Its based on the mythos of the star wars universe.

I would much rather play SWG with lots of the above classes than have it changed so that anyone who PvPs has to have a Jedi. You seem to want the Jedis made way overpowered, I'd recommend you go play Jedi Knight multiplayer. :P

They are making the Jedi grind more quest based, which should solve most of the boring aspects of leveling them, and mean you go through far less Lightsabers in the process.

They are redoing all of the Jedi skills so the characters are better balanced (my guess is they will boost their defensive powers early on, so low-level Jedis have a chance in combat).

They are nerfing armour and buffs in the combat rebalance. They are giving Jedi free robes that will be equivalent to the best armour available.

They are further reducing Lightsaber costs by allowing Jedi to 'break down' their sabers to get the components back.. all of that is MORE than enough to get the Jedi where they should be, giving them their own damage type on top of that would just be silly imho.

Teeth.

They are making the Jedi grind more quest based, which should solve most of the boring aspects of leveling them, and mean you go through far less Lightsabers in the process.

Nope. They are making the grind to getting a Jedi slot quest based. A jedi will still have to kill an insane amount of rancors to level :(

They are redoing all of the Jedi skills so the characters are better balanced (my guess is they will boost their defensive powers early on, so low-level Jedis have a chance in combat).

Bout time.

They are nerfing armour and buffs in the combat rebalance. They are giving Jedi free robes that will be equivalent to the best armour available.

There will be a catch. Always is with Soe.

They are further reducing Lightsaber costs by allowing Jedi to 'break down' their sabers to get the components back.. all of that is MORE than enough to get the Jedi where they should be, giving them their own damage type on top of that would just be silly imho.

Nope. They are making pearls and crystals decay rather than the sabre. So new pearls and crystals will still be needed very often :( You missing the point, Im not asking for an uber damage type, I just want anything bar ****ing kinetic as it just dosent make sence.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    They have to be made rare, because a) no-one who plays this game wants jedis roaming around everywhere as its completely against continuity

Yeah they do. Loads of little kids want jedis running around everywhere and they want to be one.

Don't forget, there's 2 kinds of people who play this game. One kind who wants total continuity, and believe that there should be only a handfull of jedi in the entire game, and the other kind who just want an uber powerful (and loadsa lights) PvP with the backdrop of it being star wars.

Advertisement