Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import tax

Options
  • 14-05-2004 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Could someone please tell me what the amount of import tax due on a cd valued at 40USD (33Euro approx) is?

I'm in a fight with Fedex at the moment regarding the amount they claim I owe.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BendiBus
    You're only allowed gifts up to €45 and commercially supplied goods up to €22 exempt of charges (including VAT) The route the goods take (or who provides the delivery service) doesn't matter.

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/pn_1179.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I thought books and CD's were duty free?
    But in any case, freight people like Fedex will have a number of additional charges which they will hit you with AFAIK, handling fees etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thanks Victor but I'm a bit of a ditz when it comes to tax so do you know how I'd calculate the import tax due on a 33Euro/40USD cd (not a gift)

Are there no accountants willing to lend a helping hand?????

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    Are there no accountants willing to lend a helping hand?????

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/pn_1179.pdf - Part 3 would appear to apply

Import Duty €33 x 3.5% = €1.16
    VAT €33 x 21% = €6.93

So €8.09 + their handling charge.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much Victor. I thought it was about that much but I wanted to make sure it wasn't me miscalculating.
    Now I'm off to fight the multi-national company trying to steal my hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I spents months fighting those f*ckers once. They phoned up asking for a credit card number to pay the VAT + Duty on a package from the U.S., which I duly gave them. Three weeks & many phone calls later I can see from the online tracking site that my package is still in their Dublin warehouse, though they deny knowing what the hold up is. Then somebody rings to ask for my credit card details again, which I give again. Package arrives a few days later.

Then the credit card bill comes & of course they've charged me twice. Nobody in their Dublin office knows what I'm on about & fob me off to the the UK accounts dept. who have no record of ever charging me anything. So I've to fax them my bill to prove it etc. etc. etc. All of this is compounded by the fact that every time I ring I have to spend 15 - 30 mins on hold & get a new person each time & have to explain the situation from the start. In the end it took two an a half months to sort out & I never even got an apology.

The only slight comfort I got out of it was that they have a freephone number in Ireland which patches you over to their UK office, so it probably cost them far more in call charges than they made out of me. I don't mind so much when people cock up - it happens to the best of us, but you have to own up & deal with your mistakes. They have such a complex customer service system that the only conclusion I can come to is that they're trying to make you give up first.

So, Shewhomustbe good luck with fight & if you have the option in future, never ever use Fed Ex.

(And pay COD - it's more of an incentive for them).

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    Thank you very much Victor. I thought it was about that much but I wanted to make sure it wasn't me miscalculating.Now I'm off to fight the multi-national company trying to steal my hard earned cash.
    What were they looking for?

Victor, they are looking for 22.20Euro

Kobie, so sorry to hear about what happened to you. Can't believe they held your package to ransom.

Luckily for me my cd was delivered first, then I got the letter, so they are hunting!! me for the money so really I'm not bothered by how long it takes (ongoing since February)

Got bitchy with them last week though as about a month after my last email I got a reply with no new info other than an explanation as to what duty tax is and who levies it, smug ba*tards. Oh and they also sent another letter requesting payment.

Did they give any breakdown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Did they give any breakdown?

...only a nervous one...

sorry, couldn't resist...I have a very low bad joke resistance threshold...am on medication for it

Still waiting on a reply as I sent them an email, didn't and don't feel like talking to one of their 'customer service' idiots, oops, agents:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I did the same thing when being hassled by UPS for the money, I was asking questions by email similar to above .... they were taking 3 - 5 weeks to answer and before I got my last answer (trying to find out how much THEY were making) they had passed my bill off to a debt collection agency based in the UK

Advertisement